• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Help on new purchase, Garrett AT Max vs Whites MX Sport.... Maybe Minelab CTX3030

TampaYankees

Hello everyone,

I have had a Garret AT Pro for a couple of months now and am not crazy about it's performance at the beach. Actually, it works great in the white sand but not so great in saltwater. I was hoping to stay in a somewhat comparable price range, so was hoping to maybe get some feedback and comparisons between the new Garrett AT Max and Whites MX Sport. I was told both should be an improvement in saltwater. I was also told that the Minelab ctx3030 is far superior all around machine than both, especially saltwater. So either I can upgrade the AT Max or MX Sport for this summer, or possibly wait until next year to get the ctx3030. What are your thoughts? Hate to play the buy and sell game, so only want to do this one time. Thanks in advance!

Need to stay with a multifrequency machine like the Minelab or the cheaper dual frequency CZ series for use at the beach. I'd probably pick up a CZ21 quicksilver myself. Don't buy into what the Garrett, Whites marketing people say regarding single frequency detectors and use at the beach.

Thanks for the reply! The AT Pro doesn't work as well as I would like in the saltwater or wet sand. I was hoping the the new AT Max or MX Sport would be good options. However I wouldn't be looking for a marginal upgrade. I'll look into the CZ models you mentioned. Any feedback on the CTX? Thanks

Thanks for the reply! The AT Pro doesn't work as well as I would like in the saltwater or wet sand. I was hoping the the new AT Max or MX Sport would be good options. However I wouldn't be looking for a marginal upgrade. I'll look into the CZ models you mentioned. Any feedback on the CTX? Thanks

No software on a single frequency machine can compare with the ability of a multi-frequency detector. So whether you buy a 20 year old Explorer or a brand new CTX, you'll finally be able to hunt conductive salt without having to decrease sensivity or deal with excessive chatter and falsing.

In my opinion, there is a reason for all the hype about the CTX and it is the best all-purpose machine available on the market today. I'm primarily a beach hunter so after buying a second CTX, I realized all of my other detectors would do nothing but collect dust. I kept a DP-PI because it folded so small and could be taken on vacations but otherwise I sold all my detectors (Excal, Explorers, CZ, Deus, Detectorpro (VLF), and AT). Since then, I have never found myself saying, oh, I wish I still had this other model that was slower or this other model that had a less accurate VDI, lol.

CTX is also one of the easiest machines to operate. At the beach, you select beach mode. If you want to dive with it, select seawater. Other than that, yes, there are many other functions, but they aren't necessary for daily use and can be learned over time.

Also CTX is on its second generation with improved battery seals and armcuff. I use mine in the ocean and have not experienced any leaks.

If you want more professional proof, buy a CTX book for beach hunting by Andy Sabisch or Gary Drayton. Read what they have to say about the CTX and listen to how they compare it to other detectors.

H/H, -David

No single frequency machine is going to work well on the salt wet sand. So start narrowing down your search by looking for multifrequency machines...

Minelab - safari, explorer, CTX, etrac, Excalibur
Fisher - CZ3D, CZ21

and there are probably a few others too...but make sure they are multifrequency or you are wasting your money. I prefer waterproof only at the beach, which limits you even more. You will soon realize that beach hunting is some of the most expensive type of hunting you can do...and yes the CTX is awesome and my favorite machine for the wet salt sand but if you wanted to go diving I would suggest the excalibur/CZ21.

No single frequency machine is going to work well on the salt wet sand. So start narrowing down your search by looking for multifrequency machines...

Minelab - safari, explorer, CTX, etrac, Excalibur
Fisher - CZ3D, CZ21

and there are probably a few others too...but make sure they are multifrequency or you are wasting your money. I prefer waterproof only at the beach, which limits you even more. You will soon realize that beach hunting is some of the most expensive type of hunting you can do...and yes the CTX is awesome and my favorite machine for the wet salt sand but if you wanted to go diving I would suggest the excalibur/CZ21.

Great start Adam. I found our old post with the complete list of MF-VLF detectors.....

In short, any detector will work in the dry sand. Getting detectors to work in the wet sand or submerged in salt water is the challenge that becomes expensive.

Single frequency detectors will work in the wet sand by decreasing the sensitivity. This means you'll lose depth and/or sensitivity to small targets. Additionally, it is common for these detectors to give random erroneous signals and noisy chatter.

Multi-frequency detectors will compensate for the conductive salt and mineralization without losing depth and sensitivity. The benefit is they (usually) are quiet and give an honest signal, if it beeps, there is something there. M/F detectors consequently cost more and the price goes up if you want them waterproof. The main advantage to a M/F detector is that you can discriminate unwanted targets like iron. This means you can cherry pick targets and make the most use of limited time.

PI or pulse induction detectors are the cost efficient alternative to MF detectors. They work great in salt water and are usually dive-ready, but the caveat is they do not discriminate (well).

Multifrequency detectors would include the following:

Fisher:
CZ-3d (older models were the CZ-5 and CZ-6) not waterproof
CZ-7, 7a, 7apro & 70 (all are older models that are splash proof)
CZ-21 (older model is the 20) completely waterproof

Minelab
Safari (older model was the Quattro) not waterproof
Explorer (all are older models... X, XS, II, Se, & SePro) not waterproof
Sovereign (older model not waterproof)
E-trac (not waterproof)
Excallibur (waterproof)
CTX-3030 (waterproof)

Whites -
Beach Hunter ID (waterproof)
DFX (not waterproof)
VXi and variants (not waterproof)

Pulse Induction (PI):

Garrett Sea hunter, Infinium, ATX
Tesoro Sand Shark
Aquasound/pulse
JW Fisher
Fisher Impulse
DetectorPro Pulse (note only the pulse model, not the diver, wader, or pirate)

Note: there are others but these are the common ones.

That should get you going..... be sure to ask forum sponsors. They often have preowned models that have been thoroughly gone through and may have warranties. It’s a great way to get into the hobby, much better to get a good used machine than a so-so new machine!

Back
Top Bottom