Is there a good area to detect in Pittsburgh?

oldgun

I just got into the hobby at the end of last year and have an inexpensive basic detector. I've tried South Park but the ground is so trash ridden that, that is all I've found. Not even any clad. I've done some detecting in my yard and found an old lipstick bullet, a dime and a wheat penny along with a ton of trash. I talked to the paster of an old church near me and received permission to detect there but I haven't had a chance to get there yet so my hopes are up for that location.

I understand if no one wants to give up their honey pot, but any pointers would be appreciated.

Look up 'metal detecting in a Pittsburgh park' on YouTube. I live in northern allegheny county and the parks down there are a bit out of reach on any casual day. Good luck! Post your finds if you want

Look up 'metal detecting in a Pittsburgh park' on YouTube. I live in northern allegheny county and the parks down there are a bit out of reach on any casual day. Good luck! Post your finds if you want

Watched it. That guy found some silver that's for sure. He didn't say what park but I saw another video of people having success at Schenley Park so maybe it was there. I thought I'd have success at South Park given its age. I even poked around near the Oliver Miller Homestead although I had to avoid the homestead itself due to restrictions and I checked out the old defunct wading pool there thinking some early 20th century bathers might have dropped a neat coin or two when setting their clothing aside. Nothing but trash though unfortunately and there is also a bit of rebar I think in the old concrete which some is buried under dirt so it kept setting off the detector. The pavilions were also a bust with a massive amount of pop tops and bottle caps from decades of parties.

Back
Top Bottom