Large. Garrett AT series coils

cellrdwellr

Elite Member
What's your favorite? Really close to pulling the trigger on the 9x12 concentric, but want to hear other's thought's and opinions. I really liked the concentric on the ace series, but haven't tried one on the AT series. I was using a friends 15" NEL for a bit, and deemed it a little too big and heavy for my liking. Doesn't HAVE to be concentric, I like DD's too :laughing: Thanks!

Nel Storm

What's your favorite? Really close to pulling the trigger on the 9x12 concentric, but want to hear other's thought's and opinions. I really liked the concentric on the ace series, but haven't tried one on the AT series. I was using a friends 15" NEL for a bit, and deemed it a little too big and heavy for my liking. Doesn't HAVE to be concentric, I like DD's too :laughing: Thanks!
Jeff I bought a Nel Storm for my At Pro. It does go deep, I was digging 22 short, and 3/16th washers at 10-11 inches. Truthfully I seemed to dig alot more trash too. I only used it a couple times and went back to the 5x8. I would consider parting with it if your interested. Make me an offer Mark

Jeff I bought a Nel Storm for my At Pro. It does go deep, I was digging 22 short, and 3/16th washers at 10-11 inches. Truthfully I seemed to dig alot more trash too. I only used it a couple times and went back to the 5x8. I would consider parting with it if your interested. Make me an offer Mark

Appreciate your reply Mark, what is the coil dimensions? Thanks alot!

I'm currently using the 5x8 myself. My favorite coil all time probably. Just looking for an extra inch or so of depth. I have a site where I've dug countless wheats and injuns at the fringe of detection. I'm wondering what a little more depth might uncover.

Hey CD! You have sort of a unique thing going on..where you hunt and what you are looking for etc...

I tipped my Pro with the NEL Thunder...and it killed in the wide expanses for beach gold up here...I dont know if I would dare take it into the puckerbrush where you hunt though...not on account of it aint good and damn deep, just on account of the size...flinging it through vines and stubble and whatnot, I'd be going hockey puck......

I have the NEL Thunder. I chose it over the NEL Storm for a couple of reasons:
1) The coil is lighter, resulting in more swing time.
2) The coil is longer, resulting in more coverage per sweep

Both are DD coils, and while the Storm could go deeper, I predominantly hunt in Schools and parks, in soil less than 8 inches (and that is rare to go that deep.). Most parks and schools here are less than 30 years old, over half less than 15.

I upgraded to the NEL Hunter (halfway between Stock and Thunder), 2 years ago, and instantly started finding more items. I ran the equipment over the same places I'd been hunting for a year, and KNOW I missed gold with the stock equipment, because it couldn't pick off the gold from the iron it was literally sitting on, or next to (rebar, in the two cases). I had a strong feeling there was gold in that area, but I couldn't ever get anything other than iron signals with the stock coil. The NEL Hunter coil picked it right off. I've found excellent results from the NEL series DD coils in target separation.

Some folks absolutely adore and love the 5x8 coils, but I've found the coverage to be so superior with a 14.5" coil that I can literally eat up an entire soccer field in a couple hours of hunting. At best, I could do half with the stock. This translates to more finds (IN MY ENVIRONMENTS). A 5x8 would be exceptional in heavily trashy areas, but I've found my Thunder is more than capable of picking out gold signals (or rather, my ears are WITH the Thunder), from those same areas. I've pulled 3 golds from one of the most heavily trashed parks in Boise Idaho (Ann Morrison), with them in the middle of trashy swings (think 5-12 signals per swing). The key is hearing the sounds, and I couldn't ever do that with the Stock coil, the DD NEL series just seems to pick them out better. Sure it's a pain in the rear to isolate objects with a signal blade of 14.5 inches, but it can be done, playing the angles.

But when you're in a wide open space and signals are far apart, there is NOTHING better than a long DD coil to eat up the turf. That's where it really shines.

Cheers!

Skippy

Hey CD! You have sort of a unique thing going on..where you hunt and what you are looking for etc...

I tipped my Pro with the NEL Thunder...and it killed in the wide expanses for beach gold up here...I dont know if I would dare take it into the puckerbrush where you hunt though...not on account of it aint good and damn deep, just on account of the size...flinging it through vines and stubble and whatnot, I'd be going hockey puck......

Jeff it 13 x14

I have the NEL Thunder. I chose it over the NEL Storm for a couple of reasons:
1) The coil is lighter, resulting in more swing time.
2) The coil is longer, resulting in more coverage per sweep

Both are DD coils, and while the Storm could go deeper, I predominantly hunt in Schools and parks, in soil less than 8 inches (and that is rare to go that deep.). Most parks and schools here are less than 30 years old, over half less than 15.

I upgraded to the NEL Hunter (halfway between Stock and Thunder), 2 years ago, and instantly started finding more items. I ran the equipment over the same places I'd been hunting for a year, and KNOW I missed gold with the stock equipment, because it couldn't pick off the gold from the iron it was literally sitting on, or next to (rebar, in the two cases). I had a strong feeling there was gold in that area, but I couldn't ever get anything other than iron signals with the stock coil. The NEL Hunter coil picked it right off. I've found excellent results from the NEL series DD coils in target separation.

Some folks absolutely adore and love the 5x8 coils, but I've found the coverage to be so superior with a 14.5" coil that I can literally eat up an entire soccer field in a couple hours of hunting. At best, I could do half with the stock. This translates to more finds (IN MY ENVIRONMENTS). A 5x8 would be exceptional in heavily trashy areas, but I've found my Thunder is more than capable of picking out gold signals (or rather, my ears are WITH the Thunder), from those same areas. I've pulled 3 golds from one of the most heavily trashed parks in Boise Idaho (Ann Morrison), with them in the middle of trashy swings (think 5-12 signals per swing). The key is hearing the sounds, and I couldn't ever do that with the Stock coil, the DD NEL series just seems to pick them out better. Sure it's a pain in the rear to isolate objects with a signal blade of 14.5 inches, but it can be done, playing the angles.

But when you're in a wide open space and signals are far apart, there is NOTHING better than a long DD coil to eat up the turf. That's where it really shines.

Cheers!

Skippy

Some really solid responses fellas! I aplreciate you all taking the time to give me some good opinions/observations. I will not rush into making a choice, i will continue to do more homework, and figure out which might be best for me and my hunting locations. I just feel a little more depth could be beneficial at some if my easier.to hunt sites. Ill keep the 5x8 for the tight woods/cellar hole type hunts. I have a few old parks and fields out my way that could be scanned with a big coil too, but like I said, that 15" wears on you quick. Right now my two main coils I'm looking at are the NEL thunder and the 9x12 proformance coil. I'm almost leaning towards the 9x12 though, because I can probably get away with using it in SOME of my wooded sites too. I think the thunder might be tougher to swing in the woods. Thanks again guys, will give it some thought.

Here are some coil comparisons I did some years back. They are air tests, so you probably won't get the same results in your soil, however, they are an example of the depth with maximum potential, and can also be used as a comparison with each other.

Attachments

• coilcomparisons.jpg
    coilcomparisons.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 125
  • comaparisons.jpg
    comaparisons.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 127
Back
Top Bottom