Copper coin/token, can't ID

dlax

Elite Member
I found this copper coin, size of a large cent or 1/2 farthing. It was toasted so I tumbled it for a while to see what I could ID off it. One side seems to be pretty clearly Britannia, while the other side looks like several lines of text and possibly "1830" at the bottom of the text side. I can't find anything matching this combination online - does it look familiar to anyone?

THANKS for looking!

BRITANNIA:
Coin 8.20.2018.jpg

LINES OF TEXT?:
Coin2 8.20.2018.jpg

Put flower on it and lightly wipe it away with a finger. The raised spots will stick out more and it makes things way easier to read. Then just a quick rinse when your done and the flower is gone. Post up some pics when you do it

dlax,
What is exact diameter?
A Farthing is 23mm, a half-penny is 29mm, a US large cent is 28.5mm.

The first picture matches a King George I, II or III pretty well. Note horizontal arm on the left and the head is away from the coin's rim.
It is the other side that is a mystery with the horizontal writing. All the half-pennies & Farthings have the King's bust on the other side.

Another possibility is that this coin is 'counter stamped' and this is the text we see.

Last edited:
dlax,
What is exact diameter?
A Farthing is 23mm, a half-penny is 29mm, a US large cent is 28.5mm.

The first picture matches a King George I, II or III pretty well. Note horizontal arm on the left and the head is away from the coin's rim.
It is the other side that is a mystery with the horizontal writing. All the half-pennies & Farthings have the King's bust on the other side.

Another possibility is that this coin is 'counter stamped' and this is the text we see.

It is just slightly more than 28mm, so maybe a worn down halfpenny or large cent.

I would have also expected a bust on the opposite site, it's this text pattern that is throwing me off. I did find this site with a lot of examples of British tokens, many of them featuring a seated Briannia, so I think it may be something along these lines: https://www.baldwin.co.uk/media/cms...UCTION 93 - May2015 - 03 - BRITISH TOKENS.pdf

Counter stamped is another idea, didn't think of that. Thanks for your help!

Put flower on it and lightly wipe it away with a finger. The raised spots will stick out more and it makes things way easier to read. Then just a quick rinse when your done and the flower is gone. Post up some pics when you do it

Ha, I remember posting this tip 1-2 years ago for someone that this trick worked SO well on, it was an ad plate for men's collars that become so crystal clear (I learned the trick at a cemetery tour to read old headstones). I didn't think to try it on this coin since it is raised rather than engraved, but just gave it a shot and couldn't get any additional detail from it :( Thanks for the idea though!!

Try lighting the text side from the side at different angles with a strong flashlight.
Just work on picking out letters not whole words.
Post where you see them and maybe someone will recognize what it says.

Yes, your first pic is Lady Britannia just like on KG half-penny. It is the text on the other side that doesn't match anything.

Been trying to research and your british token link reminded me of reading about Evasion coins.
These were made to look like current coins, KG half-penny, but were enough different to be not prosecuted for counterfeiting (which was very common). Legally these were tokens.

So this may be an evasion coin, one side looks like a KG half-penny so could be passed off if person didn't look at other side.

Some links:
http://www.thecoppercorner.com/history/evasions_hist.html

http://www.abccoinsandtokens.com/Evasions.html

I think we have a winner.

The "1833 BUTTON MAKER Hard Times Token ROBINSON JONES & CO." looks to be a very good match on both sides.

Even the "AMERICAN INSTITUTE" text above the lady Britannia looks like a match.

Comparing the back side of the token and OP's second pic I feel the text does match.

Great job NHBenz.

Back
Top Bottom