Slow start to February

ToySoldier

Forum Supporter
After a terrific (and unexpected) January, February has been a bit slow as far as keepers. I'm hoping that changes next week when I'm scheduled to get access to a really promising permission.

My own property is starting to dry up, but I managed to pick this 1936 Chinese 10 cent piece from the base of an old tree. (The design was minted from 1936-1939. The character 2nd to the left on the obverse indicates the specific year.) It was a sketchy signal due to a small piece of junk next to the coin. I removed the junk thinking it was the target, rescanned, and the signal cleaned up. The coin is 99% nickel. It is stamped off-center, which appears to be unusual.

I received permission to hunt some woods hidden in the back of a neighborhood. There's a trail that goes down into a valley with a nice clear creek. Kids have used it as a hangout since the neighborhood was built in the 1930s. Despite finding lots of old high conductor junk, I didn't find a single coin in the clearings along the creek. On the side of the hill leading down to the creek I lucked out and got my coil over a signal that turned out to be a women's art deco ring made by Uncas and stamped sterling. I brought a contractor sized garbage bag and filled it halfway with surface junk along with the junk I dug.

I had a few other hunts that just turned up clad. I was pretty disappointed by a curbstrip around an early 1900s elementary school that has been converted to apartments. I was just searching for silver and ended up with some clad quarters and dimes. I think the dirt was about 4 inches higher than the sidewalk. There's probably some deep silver.

Attachments

• chinese coin 1936 feb 2018.jpg
    chinese coin 1936 feb 2018.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 180
  • uncas ring feb 2019.jpg
    uncas ring feb 2019.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 148
Two intriguing finds there. The coin is very cool and the ring looks like someone could pick what the centerpiece was when they bought it. Congrats!

I’ll trade you my pulltabs for the ring lol I have a bunch

Nox 600
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

Back
Top Bottom