Forest Service prohibits metal detectors and geocaches in N.C.

The wording on their site seems pretty restrictive:

"The second rule prohibits possession or use of metal detectors outside of designated areas"

Does this mean you could get in trouble even if you just have a detector in your vehicle?

"The second rule prohibits possession or use of metal detectors outside of designated areas"

Does this mean you could get in trouble even if you just have a detector in your vehicle?

I'm sure it does. I have heard of National Civil War battlefield sites where, if you're caught with a detector in your car trunk, they will confiscate your vehicle and put you in jail.

I find it strange that they are acting in the exact opposite way from National Forest Service policy. The basic principle is one of allowing detecting unless there is a specific historical site that is marked off limits. In other words they are changing from "you can metal detect except in spots where we say no" to "you can't metal detect unless we say yes". I really hope that doesn't become the policy in other states. Keep in mind the National Forest Service and the National Park Service are two completely different things. Make sure you know who administrates a particular park or forest before detecting.

In case you aren't sure what I'm talking about, here is the NFS policy at the national level:

http://www.fs.fed.us/geology/For We...d Rock Collecting on the National Forests.pdf

I would have thought the police might have difficulty making a charge stick ?

I know that in the UK, if for instance a policeman searched a car at night, which
was parked next to a scheduled site, found a detector, and the driver had his camo
gear on. A charge of "going equipped to carry out a crime" could be brought.

Amazing... they graciously will allow people to geocache "virtually". In other words you can list coordinates and have people pretend to find a geocache. Oh boy!

I'm a little disappointed that they did not allow "virtual metal detecting". I could walk through the forest swinging my arm saying "beep, beep, beep" and then use my imaginary digger to pretend to recover an imaginary object. I could then post my imaginary find on the forum for you all to pretend to enjoy.

Soon we won't even be able to enter the forests without a permit. This is sad... just sad.

-Mike-

Such a shame. Driven, I would assume, by either indiscriminate Md'ing, poaching or, possibly, by do-gooders who really do not understand the hobby. RickO

Amazing... they graciously will allow people to geocache "virtually". In other words you can list coordinates and have people pretend to find a geocache. Oh boy!

I'm a little disappointed that they did not allow "virtual metal detecting". I could walk through the forest swinging my arm saying "beep, beep, beep" and then use my imaginary digger to pretend to recover an imaginary object. I could then post my imaginary find on the forum for you all to pretend to enjoy.

Soon we won't even be able to enter the forests without a permit. This is sad... just sad.

-Mike-

Mike, you will just have to pretend your in the forest and pretend you have a permit. :lol:

Georgia is making that happen also... No detecting on National Forest but you can hike, hunt, climp, picnic, camp, etc... No removal of any natural resource such as a single pebble...It's crazy no doubt!

The term "Using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut" comes to mind :(

One person does something silly like leaving holes in a public area, and everyone suffers the consequences.
There may be many reasons as to why they don't want people digging.

As has been said, other activities, horse riding for instance, can do far more damage.

Tight Rules

We travel with our metal detectors, and sometimes end up in a place where they are not allowed. I make sure their broken down, and in a case with the batteries out of them, just like I would transport an unloaded gun. If the warden walked into my campsite he would not see them. If he walks into a campsite, and their leaning against a tent, then that is probable cause to take them.
Prospecting in the Uwharrie forest is only manual equipment. No MD's No battery panning machines. I have all my equipment locked in the truck except my sluice shovel gold pans, classifiers. The warden knows I have all this other equipment, but knows it will stay in the truck.

Back
Top Bottom