Anyone else ever find a whole car? A real car, not a toy.

wvantiques

I didn't exactly find this with my detector but did dig it up. I was working for a Federal agency in Massachusetts in the early 1980's. We had high school kids working with us for the summer and I had them clearing a new trail over a hill. They came in the office and said they had hit a big piece of metal just under the leaf litter. I went back to the hill with them and said we would just dig it up. About an hour later it was pretty obvious it was an old top of a car so we kept digging that day and the next and uncovered a 1930 Plymouth coupe. Still had the engine, windows and tires (one still had some air in it). I thought maybe we had found Judge Crater's burial vault (look him up on Google). I called the State Police to see if they might want to try to find out who had buried an entire car on top of a hill in the woods but they couldn't care less. I thought sure when I opened the trunk that either a skeleton or bank loot would fall out but all that was in there were hickory nuts and chipmunk nests. The boss where I worked let a junkyard owner have the car just for towing it away, last I heard he was restoring it.

Look in the seats for silver!

I actually did. Only had 1 merc, 1 buffalo and 2 lincolns. I used to work for the used car portion of a Toyota dealer when I was in college. I always tried to be the first to the trade-ins so I could take out the back seat and look in and under the front seats. Average of $2-$3 per car, found some jewelry and twice found folding money.

My dad was a race engine builder. I used to find dumped engines in the woods and sell them to where he worked for $50. They used parts or the whole engines. Found a Hemi engine one day and they gave me something like $600:lol: Never did figure out why someone dumped a Hemi. The engine was still good when they rebuilt it:lol:

does this count
100_1458.jpg
I also found a frame from a model t ford... also train cars... too big to take but i did take the (still working) air break release system.

Kinda surprised being buried the car didnt rot away.
When I was a kid back home in the woods we had old cars from the 20s 30s and 40s out in the woods they were tore up .but they still looked cool .

Kinda surprised being buried the car didnt rot away.
When I was a kid back home in the woods we had old cars from the 20s 30s and 40s out in the woods they were tore up .but they still looked cool .

Those old cars were made with enough metal to build two of today's cars. Being buried, there was probably not enough oxygen to promote much rot.

Back
Top Bottom