On The Beach

~Alan~

Forum Supporter
Not having been out "tecting" for some time, I was getting withdrawal symptoms.
So I was up early last Sunday morning and down to the beach. This is Shoebury, which is part of Southend-on-Sea.
It?s about 6 miles from where I live, and is on the north bank of the Thames Estuary. There is quite a rise and fall on the tides, and being flat it goes out a long way. At low tide you can walk out around a quarter of a mile, and it?s still mostly a firm shingle base.

I was there at just before 8am on the Sunday, the weather was lovely, and the water was like a mill pond. The fact that I only found £1.22p is neither here nor there. It was just nice being out.

Might just do it again this weekend., when the tide should be lower.

Attachments

• Beach1.JPG
    Beach1.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 278
Are the beaches always so empty or was it just early? :?:

It was fairly early. I was there about 7:45am, and left around 10am, just as it was getting busier. The beaches have some sand but are mainly shingle, which is what makes up the Thames Valley.
One beach in particular had sand pumped onto it a couple of years ago, which was dredged from further round the coast.
Some of the better finds have been made in the far distance of the picture, out on the wet sand and shingle. This is where items have been washed down from the land, over the years.
I?ll try and get some more pictures this weekend, although if I do go out it will be early again. The forecast is for very hot weather, it?s easy to get sun burnt in the cooler breeze at the coast.

Back
Top Bottom