I'm very depressed, let's hear some funny detecting stories

shootinxs

Millersville, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Hey everyone, I haven't been around for a while. I don't post much, more of a lurker. This is the best time of year, at least for me, to be out detecting.

On October 5th I was playing basketball with some buddies and I jumped for a pass and when I came down on my left leg I blew out my left knee. When that happened I fell wrong and dislocated and broke my right ankle in three places. I ended up needing surgery to reattach my patella tendon in my knee and also surgery to add some plates and screws in my ankle. Because it happened to be both legs, I ended up spending a week in the hospital followed by two more weeks in a rehab hospital. I'm home now and still stuck in a wheelchair because I still can't put weight on my ankle and my knee is not strong enough for walking on crutches or with a walker. I'm hoping to be up and hobbling around on a walker sometime just after Thanksgiving. I haven't been on my feet or taken a step for a little over 6 weeks. I think I've realized at the age of 43 its time to retire from sports!

Anyway, It's starting to get quite frustrating. My metal detector is just sitting in the garage collecting dust. All the fields are cut and the weather is perfect to be out there punching holes in the ground. I could use some light hearted stories to cheer me up.

Someone tell me some funny stories you have from your hunting adventures. Maybe its an interaction with a stranger that came up to you while detecting, or maybe its something you thought you found only to find out later it was something worthless. I've been pretty depressed lately and could use it. Thanks in advance.

Sorry to hear about your struggles. Keep healing so you can get back in the game.

Don't really have any funny stories. It was kind of humorous when a lady walking a dog in the park told me I have the quietest weed trimmer she had ever heard!

Sorry to hear about your injury, get better soon.

I was hunting a field near a CW battle site. The property has a small creek running through the center. I look down in the creek and see a round object that looks to be the size of a cannon ball. Man I just knew I found something great. It turned out to be a Hedge Apple that was water logged and covered with algae. My buddy still reminds me of my great find.

Last edited:
Wow... hope you fully heal up! I am still doing softball, tennis, and of course metal detecting even though I am in my 60's. I do worry a bit about tearing or tweaking something but do try to stay out there being active.

One kind of humorous situation occurred while detecting here in town. I had permission at a 1900's Victorian home, with a fairly small front yard. A couple of kids came by with their mom, and were watching me detect. I gave the first one a wheat penny that I had just found, and a short time later I found another wheatie to give to the second boy. I asked him what the date was on that last coin, he said 1914. I asked him if there was a letter "D" or "S" below the date, and he said "D." Uh oh.... the 1914-D penny is a rare one, and one I had not yet found detecting, he was really polite, so thankfully I did a trade with him for several of my previously found older wheaties and was able to get that 14-D back!

Oh... one other funny and odd happening... again, a local detect here in Western Montana. I had permission from a woman at a ca 1910 box style home, and was carefully detecting the yard. Found some wheats, a couple of silver dimes, and then a 1902 Indian Head Cent. The owner came out and I showed her the IHP. She drove off to go back to work, but came back a short time later with her smart phone, and showed me a pic of a BU MS-65 1877 Indian Head penny that had sold for $250,000! She assumed that my coin (being an IHP) was equally worth that, and that "my fun was over" in her yard as surely there was real treasure there. I gave her the 1902 Indian Head cent and wished her well and that was that!

Brother i can feel for you. I spent some time trying to calm down arthritis in my left foot with a doctors help. Then about a month ago I was adjusting the cover on my boat and took a step. tripped on something. May air I don't know. But when I set my left foot down to catch myself it lit me up. Long story short I tore one of the tendons in my ankle and had to have surgery on it. Hope to get the cast off Friday and Praying that when he puts the walking boot on I can get rid of these danged crutches.

Had a pretty more Mature lady approach me when I was detecting at the beach with a very concerned look on her face. She laid her hand on my arm and very seriously wanted to know if I needed money or was I making a living that way I contained my chuckle and told her that detecting was just a hobby.

She seemed to be mare at ease that the Old man was not starving which it should have been evident at first glance.

Here's a funny story..

I've spent well over a year of my life on crutches, three knee surgeries, and a severed Achilles's tendon (all same leg)...

I just turned 45 and just started riding freestyle BMX again lol..:lol:

That's really tough what you got going there, good luck on a full recovery!!

<°)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_20191106_173859.jpg
    IMG_20191106_173859.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 563
Very sorry to hear about your injury, hope it heals faster than expected, but don't rush it and hurt it again !

Now these are not metal detecting related, but hopefully you'll still get a laugh, they happened long before I ever got an interest in detecting -

Okay, now keep in mind I was only about 15 years old at the time for this one......

I got a part-time job at a fast food place called "Gino's" and back then they also had the rights to sell KFC chicken.

Anyhow, outside they had a huge replica of the KFC bucket on top of a high pole and it would light up at night and spin around.

As a new employee they said one thing that needed done occasionally was to take a ladder climb up and sit inside the trap door on the bottom of the bucket and to use a damp sponge to wipe down the inside so the light shines thru better.

So I'm sitting inside with my feet hanging out and they turn it on and I'm spinning around like a carnival ride :shock: :lol:

THEN they tell me it's not something that needs done, just a joke :laughing:

.......now if that wasn't enough......

They later sent me next door to a "Harley's Sub Shop" to borrow a jar of "mustard thinner", the people at the sub shop said something like "you are the 3rd person they sent here in the last few months to ask for that, there is no such thing" :laughing:

……………….here's another one:

this one was using something like these -
popits.jpg

When I worked in an accounting office for a while I got the idea of taking some snap noisemakers (the tiny white paper things that kids throw on the ground and they make a "pop" noise) and very carefully setting them under the toilet seat where the two plastic pads would come down to sit on the edge of the bowl.

(you got to set the toilet seat down very carefully so as not to pop them ahead of time)

Then when the next person sat on that toilet seat it would make a "pop" noise.

A little later I heard an employee talking after leaving the restroom telling someone about what happened saying that when he sat down and heard that noise - at first he actually thought the noise was from the toilet seat breaking and cracking and he initially jumped up .....when I overheard that it was extremely difficult to keep from bursting out laughing out loud and I tried to keep it to a muffled laugh but it wasn't easy I think he might had suspected who it was so I had to avoid doing that prank again there. :laughing:

I've played similar pranks on people in the past including setting those poppers on the floor where they would step on them, and setting them on the tops of doors as well as cabinet doors so when they opened a door they would fall down and pop !

I always enjoyed a good prank but would be careful that it would not cause any harm.

……….and yet another one:

I started young - I just remembered when I was a young kid we lived in a house with a basement where the basement ceiling was unfinished and I noticed the transformer in the ceiling that stepped down the voltage going to the doorbell to the front door.

I figured out how to CAREFULLY use a screwdriver to momentarily short out two low voltage connections to make the front doorbell ring.

When my mom was sitting in the living room watching TV I would make the doorbell ring and I could hear her walking across the floor and then say
......."There's no one here !" .....then I'd hear her walk back across the floor back to the sofa to watch TV again and then I'd do it again .....I think it was about 15 to 20 years later when I told her about that, I figured I was safe from a spanking by then :laughing:

........and even yet another one:

I remember in Navy boot camp I discovered I could sound just like the "Company Commander" (Navy equivalent to the Army Drill Sargent) so occasionally I would walk near the entrance to the barracks and say one of the lines he was known to say - "ALRIGHT YOU PEOPLE ! - and someone thinking it was the Company Commander would shout - "ATTENTION ON DECK !" and everyone would immediately snap to attention :laughing:

(I remember them seeing the humor in it, I'm just glad the real Company Commander didn't show up anytime I tried that )

Also, we had a sister company in the next barracks, so one time we wrapped up one of our guys head-to-toe in toilet paper like a mummy and sent him to go inside the sister barracks, once inside he broke loose of the paper wrappings making a mess and had to run back to our barracks :laughing:

.......yep, it's another one !

I just remembered another prank I did a long time ago -

During the Christmas holidays when I visited my sister's house they had, among other snacks, a bowl of walnuts sitting out.

Well, I cracked them open by twisting the halves in different directions as it was less messy as I could open the walnut to have 2 halves instead of a bunch of small shell pieces from using a metal cracker.

I then realized that after eating the meat out of the walnut shell I could fit the two halves back together again and they would fit tight and hold together and look just like an untouched, unopened walnut.

First I thought to put empty walnuts back in the bowl as a prank for when the next person opened it and found nothing.

THEN I got an even better idea ! :newidea:

I took small sheets of paper and would write funny stuff on them and fold them up so they would fit inside the empty shell !

I may had thought of more, but two of the funny things I remember writing for people to read when they opened the walnut expecting to eat were -

"Help - I'm being held captive in a walnut factory !" :laughing:

and

"Sorry ! ......please try again !" :laughing:

So I carefully put those empty note filled walnuts back in the walnut bowl.

I didn't hear any results that day so no one had got to them then, so the next time I saw my sister I wanted to see if anyone got a good laugh and asked her about them.

She said something like "I ended up taking those to work to set out for other employees to help themselves !"

So I guess some people on her job either got a good laugh or they though there are some strange people around here :laughing:

(I wonder if any of you are now going to try opening walnuts in two halves like I did so you can write funny notes to put inside this holiday season :lol:)

I had little strips of paper , cut exactly the same size as you would find in a fortune cookie. I did this all on my printer at home. On one side , I would have "your lucky numbers"( which were a combination of my birthday). On the other side it would say " Your meal is on the house !"
I was very confident and cocky on when to play these at Chinese restaurants. I could never go back once used. I was always on a date. Gotta keep the bill within reason , so they don't take too big of a hit. When they bring the bill and fortune cookies , I would have MY fortune palmed. Open up the cookie , and within earshot of the waiter or waitress yell " Your meal is on the house !" Grab my date , show it and thank them for the free meal. Of course I would leave a tip if the service was good. The look on their faces was shock as they try to figure it out while I'm driving away.
Only a couple times I was called out and stopped. Told them it was a joke and just paid the bill. They would all laugh. Worked it on and off for a few years !

I was in a huge park last year and had a great signal. I went down on my knees and was pinpointing when a jogger came out of nowhere and nearly tripped over me. We were both very surprised by each other and he began freaking out asking me if I was ok over and over. I stated I was good and went back to pinpointing. He then said he mistakenly thought I was having some kind of a heart attack being on the ground like I was. I had a good laugh over that one and told him the only way I'd have a heart attack was if there was gold in my hole, alas it was only a clad quarter. :no:

A few months later I had unfortunately stayed a bit too long while detecting in a sketchy park. To my dismay, I was approached by a group of homeless men. I got the usual can I bum a smoke, is your detector expensive, can I have your change questions. As they crowded around me eyeing my Equinox, I began to feel a little nervous about my safety. Then I got the question I get the most, do you ever find gold with that thing? On the fly I made up a big lie and pointed to an area I had just finished searching. I said a lady lost a huge gold ring over there last week but I couldn't find it. They all took off for that area and were still crawling around looking for the fictitious ring when I left a half hour later. I laughed all the way home. :lol:

I took a chicken for a 70 mph ride down the highway for 12 miles, on the rear axle of my pickup. Met up with a buddy to hunt, took his car. We came back, I tried to round up the hen and she hopped back up on the axle and we headed home.

GKL, the door bell, and the walnut stories had me laughing.. Especially when your sister took them to work.. :laughing:

<°)))>{

Sorry to hear about your struggles. Keep healing so you can get back in the game.

Don't really have any funny stories. It was kind of humorous when a lady walking a dog in the park told me I have the quietest weed trimmer she had ever heard!

Like Junkminer, I was also approached by an elderly lady one Sunday morning as she was leaving church. She said "I've always wanted to get one of those", pointing at my detector. She thought I was whacking weeds near a large tree :roll:

P.S. Hope you heal 100% soon.

I took a chicken for a 70 mph ride down the highway for 12 miles, on the rear axle of my pickup. Met up with a buddy to hunt, took his car. We came back, I tried to round up the hen and she hopped back up on the axle and we headed home.

Did you write this while you were under the influence??
I don't get it...

Did you write this while you were under the influence??
I don't get it...
Probably...:lol: So, you must be a city slicker?
We keep laying hens as many do out here...some of the hens don’t always make it back to the coop, the one hen roosted all nite on the rear axle of the truck without my knowledge...she then took a long ride!

That could have gone from a funny story to one you would regret for a long time!!

Great stories. I certainly got a chuckle out of them. Thanks everyone for sharing.

I'll have to remember the gold ring distraction story to get unwanted lurkers off my back!

My wife and I were cleaning out the culverts at a creek on our property. We walked a little ways down the creek to make sure everything was flowing properly. Walking back up the creek, I said "keep an eye out for arrowheads." Immediately, she said "Like this one?" as she bent down to pick up the best spear point I have ever seen. We had it dated by an archaeologist at 5000 years old. To this day I have searched and searched, and she still thinks it is as easy as just going to the creek and picking them up!

Back
Top Bottom