Show me your Largies

It's actually four years not three I guess I have been pretty lucky with LCs. There are still so many coins I still have on my bucket list. Most are newer. I to date have only found one SLQ. Never found a Franklin half. I have seen three flying eagles dug but it remains high on my list. The fact that there is always something keeps me excited about this hobbie.

Attachments

• Largie.jpg
    Largie.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 454
  • Largie rev.jpg
    Largie rev.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 464
After seeing some amazing Large Cents recently, I wanted to give them their due.
Please post your Large Cents here.
I have only ever found three of these, the first on a cold blustery day in September of 2012.

It was very well preserved in the sand under a sidewalk:D

VERY nice condition ! :thumbsup:

…….almost makes me want to go out digging up really old sidewalks :laughing:

(hey, maybe if I volunteer to replace a very old sidewalk :lol:)

I've got over 100 counting the G IIs and IIIs, almost all of them toasted, but I'll post the chain cent, Vermont copper, and draped bust half cent, which I think is a rare overdate variety, but I can't quite prove it. These are my most memorable, and all the coppers around here come out toasted like this.

Attachments

• 072712b.jpg
    072712b.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 296
  • 060809.jpg
    060809.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 286
  • 091219y.jpg
    091219y.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 290
Here's a couple 'largies' I found this summer.

The first is an 1814 "Captain Broke" Nova Scotia Half-Penny commemorating the capture of the USS Chesapeake by the British during the War of 1812.

The second is an 1816 Matron Head 'largie'.

The third is a Matron Head 'largie' turned into a child's whizzer toy.

Lastly, a very well preserved 1838 Matron Head 'largie'.

These coins are always a joy to discover.

Cheers,
--Bert

Attachments

• Coin_1814-Broke-NovaScotia-HalfPenny_sm.jpg
    Coin_1814-Broke-NovaScotia-HalfPenny_sm.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 289
  • Coin_1816_LargeCent_sm.jpg
    Coin_1816_LargeCent_sm.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 285
  • LargeCent_MatronHead_Wizzer_Smalls_9-2019_sm.jpg
    LargeCent_MatronHead_Wizzer_Smalls_9-2019_sm.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 284
  • whizzer.jpg
    whizzer.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 283
  • MatronHeadCent_1838_Buckminster_9-2019_sm.jpg
    MatronHeadCent_1838_Buckminster_9-2019_sm.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 283
Found this late last fall. About 7-8" deep. Its pretty toasty but it's an 1803.

Think of all the history that passed while this coin patiently waited in the ground for me to find it.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_f5.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_f5.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 250
  • fullsizeoutput_f9.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_f9.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
Heres a couple

My last two, 11-17 & 11-18. Its been 2 1/2 years since my last one, now 2 in 2 days. Huh ?

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 218
  • 070.jpg
    070.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 223
  • 073.jpg
    073.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 222
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 229
I have 2 LC's from CA. One from a stage stop, and another following beach storm erosion. And got one from VA during the NDL hunt late last month. It is on the upper right in this pix. 1850 .

file.php

jeez! tom ya put a vicious 'kiss" on that barber! musta been "pissed off" that
day 'bout somethin'..damn "sampsons" can be "nasty!" just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

not sure how many largies I have left, gave 4 or 5 of em away. all my coins currently not in my possession. Would love to post Them all beside each other to raise toms blood pressure a bit:p, but that will have to wait until I get my stuff back. Gotta be a few laying around that never made it into the coin box, maybe I'll take a pic of those in the mean time.

Since this post has gathered scores of LC pix, all in the same thread, it has been quite revealing. It exposes the conspiracy .

Look closely at all the LC's. Notice that they all look suspiciously the same . Hmmmm. The same ladies face. The same "one cent" on the reverse. The same wreath designs. Hmmmm. Of course they photo-shop and change the dates around. Play with the patina, etc... But otherwise ...... IT'S THE EXACT SAME 7 or 8 coins that are simply being posed, back and forth, on various people's staged photos.

If you don't believe me, just go down the line and see the suspicious similarities . Does anyone else here smell a rat ?? :sissyfight:

Since this post has gathered scores of LC pix, all in the same thread, it has been quite revealing. It exposes the conspiracy .

Look closely at all the LC's. Notice that they all look suspiciously the same . Hmmmm. The same ladies face. The same "one cent" on the reverse. The same wreath designs. Hmmmm. Of course they photo-shop and change the dates around. Play with the patina, etc... But otherwise ...... IT'S THE EXACT SAME 7 or 8 coins that are simply being posed, back and forth, on various people's staged photos.

If you don't believe me, just go down the line and see the suspicious similarities . Does anyone else here smell a rat ?? :sissyfight:

only you!..thomas!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Got my oldest U.S. large cent this year. I think its a 1795 based on the details I can make out. Of course, it has a great big hole right in the middle too! :laughing:

Attachments

• 0916191223_Film4.jpg
    0916191223_Film4.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 195
Got my oldest U.S. large cent this year. I think its a 1795 based on the details I can make out. Of course, it has a great big hole right in the middle too! :laughing:

dang someone either needed a washer or was one hell of a shot

Rotated Die Error Large Cent

My latest Largie, dug earlier this week and currently my oldest coin found :thumbsup:

But while I was cleaning it, I had the constant feeling something wasn’t quite right - then I suddenly realized the front and the back weren’t aligned properly...a rotated die error coin! It’s apparently common in Matron Head Large Cents - more “unusual” rather than “rare” I guess you could say - so not any amazing value to the coin. Regardless, I’m excited to have a relatively unique coin to add to my finds collection!

More details about the hunt can be found here:

An Error Coin...And An Error Digging

Attachments

• 38DB0421-3B35-4E3D-99AB-CFC38A04A24F.jpg
    38DB0421-3B35-4E3D-99AB-CFC38A04A24F.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 176
  • 6D69ADB1-AF40-4D97-83DA-B53262515D5C.jpg
    6D69ADB1-AF40-4D97-83DA-B53262515D5C.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 186
Back
Top Bottom