Fisher Impulse AQ detector update

Informative thread! Lotsa rigs can find rings, and thats what our competition is out hunting for with various gear, NOBODY misses a ring within reason, Silver or Gold......The money is in the Gold chains..chains without pendants...Figaros, Cubans, Curbs, Woven etc...14k on up preferably...Heavies that sound like weak signal scrap to a monofreak or completely invisible to a multifreak.....The chains that have seen a coil or two overhead and went unnoticed....

I'd be interested in the Manta in its chain finding capability...A guys whole season can be made with one nice big Gold chain...:?:

We will see - I expect some of the really keen hunters will jump in early and then we will start to see data come in. It is no gold nugget machine, able to detect fly speck stuff. The cut off on chains is something I had no chance to explore in my brief “love-in” with the prototype. the very short minimum pulse delay will help, but the proof is in the pudding.

Rick

Thank's for sharing, ya never know with me, might be the guy that buy's- in the 1st batch, there is plenty of replenishment sand here , using a DF can ware you out, sound's like the machine is made for what i am looking for , most of my question's were answered , except two , warranty year's, and are the coil's going to be interchangeable, meaning not hardwired , is there going to be more coil's than just one available, something like both the CTX , and Equinox you have 3 coil's to choose from,- to use for a day's hunting . Since the machine is rather expensive- a nice warranty with the manufacturer backing it , would be in demand, if you don't have the answer to this , that's fine bro., and an addition- are the headphone's going to have an -interchangeable connector , say if we want to use mod-ed headphone's with the machine ?, Thanks again Earl PS Flaccofan :lol: when i come up i promise i will be dominate :shock: :lol: and i promise to attach Shogun to your waist , Craig's 1st :laughing: , since i am coming up their , no promise's when- it will be considered - vacation, so you should accommodate the guest wishes howboutit .

I know nothing about warranty yet. The coil attaches with a waterproof connector which is a commercially available type - not something designed special for this machine. PI coils are not that hard to make and I suspect that if there is a market for it someone could make aftermarket coils or build their own.

the TDI is basically an Eric Foster design - “productionized” by Whites. Alexandre Tartar - the developer of the Manta (now Impulse AQ) studied every Foster design ever built and developed the basic concept of a two changed PI with GB for beach use. Extensive development over nearly a decade resulted in greatly reduced noise and innovative ways of utilizing the information from the two GB channels to optimize for recovery of gold jewelry.

The minimum pulse delay setting runs fine in almost all cases. Carl Moreland - the chief Engineer at Fisher posted a while back that he ran it at under 7 microseconds delay in running salt water at an Oregon beach - likely with significant mineralization.

I had my “mitts” on one before Christmas for a couple of days. I ran it on this beach in San Diego with the minimum pulse delay and the stripes of black sand were a noise problem, so I increased the PD about half way and the problem went away. Set that way I hit a nickel at 17” buried in this stuff.

Was interested until this... I'm in San Diego and run the TDI full blast at minimum pulse delay at any beach. Raising the pulse delay significantly diminishes the depth, especially on small gold.

Well I have now read every darn thing about this machine on the web... Still not really sure what more it can offer. For high power machines, I have a Deepstar 3, an Aquastar, a TDI Pro and a TDI Beach-hunter. All of them have been modified to their full potential.

Still don't know how this fits in... Some posts say one thing, some say another. Width/frequency/time domain, not to mention type of coil, is it sampling twice... Until I see the real specs, then will know.

Well I have now read every darn thing about this machine on the web... Still not really sure what more it can offer. For high power machines, I have a Deepstar 3, an Aquastar, a TDI Pro and a TDI Beach-hunter. All of them have been modified to their full potential.

Still don't know how this fits in... Some posts say one thing, some say another. Width/frequency/time domain, not to mention type of coil, is it sampling twice... Until I see the real specs, then will know.

I'm guessing the "disc" is just a more user friendly way of discing out high conductors that the TDI already does.

Crum...... i hope not. SC... i can see why you might not be interest in the machine..... geez who can get their hands on those kind of machines AND super tune um? Sure not me. The 7 uS interests me..... as does how much disc will it do? This will be a nitch machine...... but most of us have several machines to do different things.....add up their costs. What we need to see is competition in the PI field to get us both sensitivity and depth on gold.... honestly.... let the other guy find the coins. Competition is good im hoping that ML gets in the game as well. Id like to see Fisher do well on this one. I also hope ...... we can get some different coils coming. Like i said .... all ya need is a lower shaft with matching ID/OD and it wont matter the head used. Crum.... you and SC have a LOT more knowledge than me.... but im old buddy i have to cut down on some of the digging.:lol: This indeed will start out as a nitch machine for me .... but lets see what it finds. I will be ticked thou...... if it only offers 1 year warranty.

Crumble, the minimum pulse delay on the TDI is 10 microseconds. The AQ pulse delay at minimum is 7 microseconds and half way on the setting is 9.5 - shorter than the TDI’s Minimum.

Also, I am not part of the testing program and my use of it was without documentation and any experience with the machine. Use of the other controls such as the SAT might have produced the same result.

:popcorn:.Guess I'll give it some time and see what else surfaces. Hopefully we will see available soon.

Last edited:
I haven't heard anybody talk about how it's going to stack up against a GPX. I know they're not waterproof but you can and I have used them for 100's of hours on wet sand. Owned 4 TDI's, infinium, Surfmster and I know the GPX was inches deeper than all of them. Just curious if it will compete with the GPX which does have some iron discrimination. If you have to buy a different Manta for relics vs beach vs gold prospecting that could get real expensive.

I know nothing about the test program. My very brief hands-on was not part of the test plan. I am sharing only the few observations I had time to make and besides the fact that the prototype I had access to may well differ in performance from production units, I caution folks not to read more into my couple of remarks than I actually stated.

Thank's for sharing, ya never know with me, might be the guy that buy's- in the 1st batch, there is plenty of replenishment sand here , using a DF can ware you out, sound's like the machine is made for what i am looking for , most of my question's were answered , except two , warranty year's, and are the coil's going to be interchangeable, meaning not hardwired , is there going to be more coil's than just one available, something like both the CTX , and Equinox you have 3 coil's to choose from,- to use for a day's hunting . Since the machine is rather expensive- a nice warranty with the manufacturer backing it , would be in demand, if you don't have the answer to this , that's fine bro., and an addition- are the headphone's going to have an -interchangeable connector , say if we want to use mod-ed headphone's with the machine ?, Thanks again Earl PS Flaccofan :lol: when i come up i promise i will be dominate :shock: :lol: and i promise to attach Shogun to your waist , Craig's 1st :laughing: , since i am coming up their , no promise's when- it will be considered - vacation, so you should accommodate the guest wishes howboutit .
flaccofan :roll::roll: not quite and sure come on up and show us how its done buddy looking forward to it :yes: love you too earl H.H. Mark

Crumble, the minimum pulse delay on the TDI is 10 microseconds. The AQ pulse delay at minimum is 7 microseconds and half way on the setting is 9.5 - shorter than the TDI’s Minimum.

Also, I am not part of the testing program and my use of it was without documentation and any experience with the machine. Use of the other controls such as the SAT might have produced the same result.

Ohh, missed that part, thought it was 10 uS.

I'm guessing the "disc" is just a more user friendly way of discing out high conductors that the TDI already does.

If you have the time, go spend an hour looking through all the posts about this machine... See the info that was supplied, will probably notice something...

This is what I am talking about from the post above... "The minimum pulse delay setting runs fine in almost all cases. Carl Moreland - the chief Engineer at Fisher posted a while back that he ran it at under 7 microseconds delay in running salt water at an Oregon beach - likely with significant mineralization.

I had my “mitts” on one before Christmas for a couple of days. I ran it on this beach in San Diego with the minimum pulse delay and the stripes of black sand were a noise problem, so I increased the PD about half way and the problem went away. Set that way I hit a nickel at 17” buried in this stuff.

He posted a picture of San Diego. I will PM you the link. The bold above, Notice something unusual???

Crum...... i hope not. SC... i can see why you might not be interest in the machine..... geez who can get their hands on those kind of machines AND super tune um? Sure not me. The 7 uS interests me..... as does how much disc will it do? This will be a nitch machine...... but most of us have several machines to do different things.....add up their costs. What we need to see is competition in the PI field to get us both sensitivity and depth on gold.... honestly.... let the other guy find the coins. Competition is good im hoping that ML gets in the game as well. Id like to see Fisher do well on this one. I also hope ...... we can get some different coils coming. Like i said .... all ya need is a lower shaft with matching ID/OD and it wont matter the head used. Crum.... you and SC have a LOT more knowledge than me.... but im old buddy i have to cut down on some of the digging.:lol: This indeed will start out as a nitch machine for me .... but lets see what it finds. I will be ticked thou...... if it only offers 1 year warranty.

Dew as you know I have had 3 of the 4 for a few years. Not about boasting, not my way. But you are the king of odd amchines, I could remind you... :lol: But I am no rookie when I comes to the pulse machine. As I sent you in a PM a while back, there are things here that I seriously question. I am not going to "attack" the main pusher for this machine, but I do have real questions. If you realize how many posts about this machine are out there and the one who is pushing this info I do question it... Even when I put out there about the other pulse machine that I heard about, which you can find the thread... I gave you an honest opinion and said pulse machines are a niche and you may not have use for it but OBN and Craig probably would. Go compare what I wrote with many of the statements about Fisher's machine. All I have seen is that it is deeper, you will go to a beach and "walk over" all other guys detecting, a "new gold rush." How many people that added to any of those threads have any real time detecting with a pulse on a beach? I am not talking about some 1 hour test...

This was stated above... "I know nothing about the test program. My very brief hands-on was not part of the test plan. I am sharing only the few observations I had time to make and besides the fact that the prototype I had access to may well differ in performance from production units, I caution folks not to read more into my couple of remarks than I actually stated."

Yet he has posted how many times on how many boards? I did a full search for anything on this machine. Not only the main 4-5 boards, but some of the smaller ones, the niche boards. He was all over the place... WHY? You go look at any board, I will guarantee you will find him. That makes me question things even more. Maybe he is excited, give him the benefit of the doubt, but has made many statements that if I started to post links I do believe many would question that have any real experience with a pulse the said machine in question.

When is the last time Fisher came out with a new machine? I mean a REAL new machine, not like whites coming out with their mx sport, but something actually new?

When is the last time Fisher came out with a new machine? I mean a REAL new machine, not like whites coming out with their mx sport, but something actually new?
Z - to be fair here you're only referring to water correct? They had that whole "F" series line that came out when First Texas bought them which wasn't too long ago.

BTW - Was the original Fisher Impulse any good?

Last edited:
Hey Sandcrab, No need for all the “he-ing”, it’s me you are referring to - Rick Kempf - I use my right name - it’s on my signature line at the end of every post.

My PI detector experience includes the following: early Eric Foster beach PI (don’t remember for sure but I think it was Sandpiper), 2 different Whites TDI PI’s, the second one modified by Reg Sniff, Minelab SD2100, SDC2300, Garrett ATX, Whites DFPI, Vallon VMH3CS PI mine detector. I do not however claim to be an expert or particularly successful beach hunter although I did find 3 14k rings last spring in South Carolina.

I have read extensively about PI’s for more than 15 years and corresponded with Reg Sniff who was instrumental in bringing the TDI to life at Whites. I have followed Eric Foster’s PI designs ever since I had a very early beach PI of his to play with when I lived in Norway. I ‘tracked” the TDI project from it’s earliest days and made a general nusance of myself about that device in much their same way I have about the AQ.

I learned about the Manta project on the Geotech forum on June 21st 2013 when someone posted a link to one of the Manta videos.

On May 10th 2016, Alexandre Tartar, the developer, posted on Geotech a long piece about the program. It included tthis video of the Manta in action.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=425&v=nke4z9oOXww

Funny thing, Carl Moreland, the Chief Engineer at Fisher and the owner of the Geotech forum noticed it of course. Totally unbeknownst to me, that post started a dialogue which ultimately led to the acquisition of the Manta program by fisher and the hiring by them of Alexandre and his team in - I believe - the spring of 2017.

In spite of the fact that i have been corresponding with Carl Moreland since before he went to Whites as Chief Engineer and later to First Texas a Chief Engineer, I had no clue what was progressing.

Fast forward to 13 June 2017 when I posted this on another forum (name not mentioned per rules).

“Keith's post got me curious and I managed to figure out that the developer was Alexandre Tartar in France. Since then, I poked around on the web and found out some info on what he has done since then. There have been a series of developments called the Manta - or Aquamanta. Almost everything is in French, but if you use the Chrome. Browser, it will translate. The machines looked really interesting - discriminating PI detectors for the beach.

Fast forward to the end of last week. I had called someone at First Texas to ask a few questions about the AmeriTek program. The conversation got around to when FT would deliver on their much rumored new technology. Of course, I got nothing concrete - I didn't expect that.

Imagine my surprise when - as he started talking about the strength of their engineering team - he mentioned that they had recently hired Alexandre Tartar! Wow.

That tells me a lot. We have all wondered when FT would bring out PI detectors. Looks like that day just got closer.”

From that point on, I dug up every video on YouTube about the Manta. I was also fortunate enough to have some conversations with Carl about the progress of it.

Because of my ongoing interest in the project and after a lot of begging, I got to actually handle a prototype long enough to drive from Phoenix to San Diego and play with it.

I have probably made many dozens of posts about the Manta (now Fisher Impulse AQ). When LE.JAG started posting, I corresponded with him a bit.

Here’s a link to an example of my “work” on this forum.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=262335

I’m not sure what it is that bothers you about my interest and hard effort to report to the forums everything I can find about the project, but perhaps you ought to just relax and enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom