Large silver bullet?

Glocott

Wondering if any one has as idea what this could be. Found it on the beach of Lake Ontario in Olcott, NY. I see no markings on it. It is about 4 inches high
and 1 3/4 inches in diameter. I am new here, Thankyou, and if I’ve done this wrong I will get better.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 353
  • D5B6352F-BC30-488A-8B99-06BED18C886A.jpg
    D5B6352F-BC30-488A-8B99-06BED18C886A.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 361
  • 1BE8360F-EF41-4239-A995-0F873E0094A4.jpg
    1BE8360F-EF41-4239-A995-0F873E0094A4.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 352
Is there a military base nearby? I'm pretty certain thats a 40mm shell for the old m79 grenade launcher or the m203. There are a number of different canisters for those. I would feel more comfortable if you hadn't unscrewed it, also note live primer in back. Thats a live round! Maybe you should call disposal to check it out or render it harmless for you. Just saying.

Sent from my LG-H871S using Tapatalk

I agree, you don't want that hanging around the house until it is checked out and for goodness sake don't mess with it any more.

Cliff

40MM grenade from a M203 launcher. NO clue if it is a smoke or explosive one. I wouldn"t play with it anymore!! They are harmless to handle. NOT harmless if you are trying to disassemble it.

I seem to be getting the same advice from others. Thankyou and I will notify authorities in the AM. I will update and Thankyou again, I had no idea.

As others said it's a 40mm grenade, I shoot them often. The specific type is going to be a High Explosive Dual Purpose (HEDP). Definitely call LEO to get it taken away safely, I would keep it outside for the night if you can. You don't know if the salt water ate away at anything.

I'd keep the nose cone for the memory. Just don't whack it into anything.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191116-182109.jpg
    Screenshot_20191116-182109.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 321
Well, I have never been on any metal detecting forums or sites. Today I joined 3. Probably lucky for me. After all the warnings about my “find” I called the Sheriff who called the Bomb Squad and a Medic. Item was taped, carefully placed in container and removed. Bomb Squad said it appeared to be a live round. Thankyou all again.

Whoah! That thing is designed with a devastating kill radius! Glad to hear it's in the right hands, so to speak. Now, if the bomb squad can't make it go BOOM, and they deactivate it, so it won't ever go BOOM, I would want it back! That's a cool find!

glad

Well, I have never been on any metal detecting forums or sites. Today I joined 3. Probably lucky for me. After all the warnings about my “find” I called the Sheriff who called the Bomb Squad and a Medic. Item was taped, carefully placed in container and removed. Bomb Squad said it appeared to be a live round. Thankyou all again.

Just glad it ended safely and the proper people have said exploding thingy now. Cool find, hope they can render it safe and send it back if you want it.

I can almost guarantee they will not render it safe. It was live, we all know that. There was no indentation in the primer. I am sure they will destroy it and nothing will come back to you.

AS I said, just like bullets they are safe to handle. UNLIKE bullets they are NOT safe to take apart.

I have handled many explosive things in the past, WW2 grenades, a depth charge, navy shell head, mortars, even a torpedo. All found underwater off Okinawa.

That thing you found was harmless to handle, just like a bullet is harmless to handle.

Be careful out there. You probably won't find another one of those critters. GLAD you didn't try to take it apart more.

Everybody's cautionary warnings were spot on, as far as your find is concerned. What none of us could tell is whether the round is a shrapnel, high expolsive, incendiary, or practice round. Without the paint markings, there's no way to tell.
Either way, the projectile itself is an explosive device that is impact detonated after being launched by a powder charge in the base of the shell, much like a bullet gets launched from a rifle round.

Good thing you sought advice before digging into it any further.

Roger

Back
Top Bottom