Coin and some items...1700s-1800s

Dantheman

Question on the very thin coin that has a bust facing right. It looks like there are stars around the head. The back looks like there is a horse or dog. I found the large cent in the same area. Not sure what it may be. Also, the iron piece that looks like a wedge of some sort. Any help?

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

King George the 3rd half penny? If I look real hard I can convince myself I see Britannia on the reverse....

King George the 3rd half penny? If I look real hard I can convince myself I see Britannia on the reverse....

I thought maybe but by the head to the right it looks like stars compared to letters. It is hard to see in the photo. It is very thin so I am thinking the right time period and older then the large cent for sure.

on second thought, it is looking more like it to me as well. The iii may just be faded. The horse looking thing I thought may be Britannia. I don't know but you do have a point.

So the diameter of the coin is 26.59 mm and the weight is 5.39 grams. Does that sound about right for a KGiii Half Penny?

Seems a bit too small and too light.
However, wear and corrosion does reduce both.

Another possibility is it is one of the large number of counterfeit Half penny coins brought into the colonies. It has been said that counterfeits may have exceeded regal coins at times.

Seems a bit too small and too light.
However, wear and corrosion does reduce both.

Another possibility is it is one of the large number of counterfeit Half penny coins brought into the colonies. It has been said that counterfeits may have exceeded regal coins at times.

I wondered that as well. I have seen a few youtube videos of people who found a counterfeit. I am thinking this is too corroded to tell. Either way, I am happy it is at least of the time. This area has put out some good finds.

Just a guess, but the iron piece may be a heavily rusted hinge.

I am going to toss in the electrolysis tank in a few days. If it isn't too burnt out, I will toss up the photos and will see if it has holes in it. I thought it may be a wedge to hold wood together in a log house or something. I am looking forward to going back and digging all of the iron. The large cent was under a piece of iron pot and gave me jumpy signals. This piece was just enough in a shape to see if anyone had ideas. I keep finding iron rectangles with a point on the corner. I hope to figure out that one day but have just been tossing in a pile but will post one day.

I'm thinking a KG 3, doesn't look American to me. The date would be right where that ding in the coin is, right underneath Britannia. Great hunting!

I'm thinking a KG 3, doesn't look American to me. The date would be right where that ding in the coin is, right underneath Britannia. Great hunting!

Thanks, that seems to match up. I am looking forward to fall/winter again so I am not right in the poison ivy.

Looks like a KG3 to me. Not small enough to be a Virginia halfpenny.

Yea, I found a few images with the same nose slope and looks to be KG3. I am pretty happy. The poison ivy is starting to come in on my arms and sides sadly. Had to get the calamine lotion.

Congrats on the KG3.

I haven't had poison ivy in over 20 years, thought I was immune to it. Went detecting in a wooded lot last weekend and now I have it all over my left arm - from wrist to shoulder.

Congrats on the KG3.

I haven't had poison ivy in over 20 years, thought I was immune to it. Went detecting in a wooded lot last weekend and now I have it all over my left arm - from wrist to shoulder.

I have random spots popping up. Some left over from the week before and some from this past Sunday. I was an Eagle Scout and got it here and there but now the digging and I am sure oils on my shovel are helping it along. Even with gloves on I have a couple spots on my knuckles. It is worth it though, I plan on going back next chance I get.

I have random spots popping up. Some left over from the week before and some from this past Sunday. I was an Eagle Scout and got it here and there but now the digging and I am sure oils on my shovel are helping it along. Even with gloves on I have a couple spots on my knuckles. It is worth it though, I plan on going back next chance I get.

At least now we can see the leaves...worst cases I ever got were digging in the early spring and getting into roots and vines that I weren’t aware were monstrous...I get it multiple times a year, especially dump digging....but I will take it over poisonous snakes!

At least now we can see the leaves...worst cases I ever got were digging in the early spring and getting into roots and vines that I weren’t aware were monstrous...I get it multiple times a year, especially dump digging....but I will take it over poisonous snakes!

same, so far it hasn't been too bad. Small blisters and the gloves help. I am thinking of going back after work to get some more damage :P.

Back
Top Bottom