A few from an old church

Dantheman

I am not sure on a few of these. I received permission for a church built in the 1870s. Not much luck on anything too old. The pastor seemed to think it had been hunted over the years. I am most curious about the lead items but also the token/purse/thingy.

1. I couldn't tell if the little ball one was sinker, small bell clapper, or round ball. It is on top a dime.

2. I am not sure on the pyramid shaped lead piece either. It has a hash x pattern covering one full side. On the opposite side, it is just the bottom row with the pattern. The other sides are smooth. The top looks like it could have been attached to something.

3. The "G" token has the word Guess on it at a few places. I thought Guess Jeans but it was pretty close to the 1936 penny I found.

Any thoughts?

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

One looks to be .36 cal round ball. Nice digs though and would definitely go back.

I thought it may be. It is a very popular tourist area so not sure what it would be doing there unless used in recreation. I am not sure how likely it would be for it to predate the church in the 1870s. I figured with no holes or rust marks, it wasn't a sinker or a clapper but didn't want to get my hopes up it was older. It was right in front of the church which had a very small yard. Sadly, this was a permission while on vacation so not hitting again anytime soon. Plus, I only had permission for a small yard in the front to the street which I went over multiple times.

Might the pyramid shaped piece be a clock weight? Just a guess....

Might the pyramid shaped piece be a clock weight? Just a guess....

It does look like it could be one. Not sure and pretty beat up. It is just interesting one side has all the x hash marks, one side just the bottom row, the other sides are smooth. The top tip looks like it was attached to something. I thought a plumb bob but think it would be flipped with the pointy end down.

It’s really interesting. If it wasn’t for the smaller size, I would have guessed it was a window weight. Not all are shaped like tubes. There were some in 1700’s house I grew up in that had an elongated triangle shape but they were a lot bigger.

It does look like it could be one. Not sure and pretty beat up. It is just interesting one side has all the x hash marks, one side just the bottom row, the other sides are smooth. The top tip looks like it was attached to something. I thought a plumb bob but think it would be flipped with the pointy end down.

Pretty sure that's a homemade lead fishing sinker. Also, that is probably a musket ball. Looks like you can still see the sprue (nipple shaped bump where leftover lead wasnt completely snipped off). I would absolutely revisit that place. Congrats!

It’s really interesting. If it wasn’t for the smaller size, I would have guessed it was a window weight. Not all are shaped like tubes. There were some in 1700’s house I grew up in that had an elongated triangle shape but they were a lot bigger.

I will need to look into that. I am not sure what was on the land prior to the church but it is on a main street so no telling if it was left from prior. It was in between two trees that look like they replaced older ones from an old photo of the church. It was between the Church front and the gate along the sidewalk.

Pretty sure that's a homemade lead fishing sinker. Also, that is probably a musket ball. Looks like you can still see the sprue (nipple shaped bump where leftover lead wasnt completely snipped off). I would absolutely revisit that place. Congrats!

Thanks, I hope to revisit. I know they still make the round balls. Can you tell a general age of it from the bump? or do they still make them the same way? The patina at least tells me it is old enough to save. Same with the sinker type thingy. I had some hopes for more as they are putting in a wheel chair ramp and they had the path dug up. Sadly, no good signals along the path and too close to the iron garden edging. With the wheat penny, I hoped for at least a silver.

Don't give up on that spot.
With the finds you've found, there is going to be some better stuff there..
Good luck

Sadly, it is a 15 hour drive (stopping for gas) so it may be next vacation. I talk with the pastor next time up and do some nice follow up email with better photos for them just so they keep me in mind.

I think it’s a bit large to be homemade fishing weight? What is weight on that? How about a homemade scale weight - as a counter? Can you weigh it? Really great finds!
Best

I think it’s a bit large to be homemade fishing weight? What is weight on that? How about a homemade scale weight - as a counter? Can you weigh it? Really great finds!
Best

The larger lead piece is 92.10 Grams

The bullet is 5.24 grams and 8.5 mm

Not sure if the larger piece would be the homemade scale weight with that :( unless the top hook was 1/10 more to make it .1 lbs or something.

It’s a mystery to me. I have fished ( fresh water) my whole life and I can’t imagine when I would need such a heavy weight - although I agree the old miniature fishing weights look similar....

I don't think guys back then were as concerned about the weight of a fishing weight as we are today. I frequently detect local woods along our creek and have found 7 home made fishing weights that are approximately that size and weight. Gotta keep in mind, they weren't throwing 8 pound mono line. All they had was some twisted up cotton or hemp line and fishing rods were a stick.
I'm not saying it is a fishing weight, merely that it cant be ruled out. The fact that it looks to me like the little boss on the tip looks symmetrical and offset throws some doubt into it, and I can't imagine worrying about embossing that crosshatch pattern on it.

If you were line fishing with multiple hooks and leaving bait out over night tied off to a stake, this weight would be handy. There were no fish and game rules....

It’s a mystery to me. I have fished ( fresh water) my whole life and I can’t imagine when I would need such a heavy weight - although I agree the old miniature fishing weights look similar....

I don't think guys back then were as concerned about the weight of a fishing weight as we are today. I frequently detect local woods along our creek and have found 7 home made fishing weights that are approximately that size and weight. Gotta keep in mind, they weren't throwing 8 pound mono line. All they had was some twisted up cotton or hemp line and fishing rods were a stick.
I'm not saying it is a fishing weight, merely that it cant be ruled out. The fact that it looks to me like the little boss on the tip looks symmetrical and offset throws some doubt into it, and I can't imagine worrying about embossing that crosshatch pattern on it.

Good point!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you were line fishing with multiple hooks and leaving bait out over night tied off to a stake, this weight would be handy. There were no fish and game rules....

I was in town but still walkable (about a mile and 1/2) distance to the shore where they do lobstering and such in Maine. I think the cross hatching was the main thing making it a little different and thought a bell clapper since I was at a church. Either way, it goes in the little shadow box with a postcard I found of the church I found it at from 1905. Also the round ball, wheat penny, and other odd items I have just so they have a place and I remember where they were found in 20 years.

Back
Top Bottom