Has anyone seen one of these before?

vtoutfitter

IMG_0680_zpsyklp5afg.jpg.html

I dug it in the middle of what is now a hay field on a very old property in Vermont. I can see that it is a bullet and I have seen pictures of the 50 cal. civil war rounds. It looks the same but much, much smaller. If anyone has seen one or dug one and has info about it, please post. I cant find any small caliber 3 ring bullets reading material so any help would be much appreciated.

The dime is for size comparison I took from my pocket.

Attachments

• IMG_0680_zpsyklp5afg.jpg
    IMG_0680_zpsyklp5afg.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 433
Last edited by a moderator:
Small caliber 3 ring fired round

IMG_0680_zpsyklp5afg.jpg.html

Has anyone dug one of these before? I cant find any info on these. There are lots of info for the large caliber 2 & 3 ring bullets, but this one is much smaller. I used a modern dime from my pocket to show size. Up close, you can see that it was shot. Anyone have info on this?

Attachments

• IMG_0680_zpsyklp5afg.jpg
    IMG_0680_zpsyklp5afg.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 389
Last edited by a moderator:
Does the bullet have a hollow base? Muzzleloading bullets are underdiameter and have a hollow base to let the bullet be loaded easily but still be accurate when the hollow base expands and engages the rifling. It appears to be a more modern bullet not a muzzle loader bullet. Perhaps .25 to .32 cal.. A .22 rimfire bullet has a heeled base and doesn't have the 3 lubrication grooves.

Back
Top Bottom