I found a meteorite. Need to confirm

Fly-n-Brian

Merry Christmas. I recently found a meteorite (fits all descriptions so far). The only thing I have not done is examined under the fusion crust. I don't want to "devalue" the find so I will let the experts do that. My next step is to send it to a place that can test it and confirm it as "real". Any recommendations to where I should send it? Does anyone here see anything that will help prove / disprove it as a space rock? I welcome any criticism or comments. Yes it is also extremely heavy and magnet loving. It weighs in at 349 grams. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 608
  • IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 611
  • IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 592
  • IMG_0172.jpg
    IMG_0172.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 590
  • IMG_0049.jpg
    IMG_0049.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
There is a chance it is a meteorite or a meteorwrong. I have no knowledge except for what I have read on the internet. You can google either word and find out where to send it to to be authenticated.

That does look pretty good.

If that is indeed fusion crust, it looks like it had some surface flow upon melting during entry through the atmosphere.

Could be junk...would definitely like to hear the final verdict.

The Field Museum in Chicago will test it. I think that they need a certain size sample, or if you send the whole thing and want it back, you have to include return postage. No idea what their turnaround time is. Pretty sure it's free, other than that.

If you want to get it tested, here is a good place to do it.

http://meteorlab.com/

You will have to send in a small sample size. You will not devalue it in any way as long as it is just a small sample (finger nail size). If it is a meteorite, the value would only go up by getting it checked. Taking a sample would allow everyone to see what the sample looks like on the inside. The outer layer of a rock or meteorite can be very different than what the sample looks like on the inside do to a fusion crust or just natural weathering that happens on earth. You could also bring it in to a local university that has a Geology department to get it checked first. They would first rule out any common rocks or minerals that it could be. I do have some geology background, and I can tell you from just pictures you can never be 100% sure of what a sample is.

No telling from here. I can dig a bucket of that stuff that looks like that in a photo off a beach I hunt.

Was helpful and that said..

Was the sticky at the top of this page any help to you?
It has passed all descriptions of a meteorite from the sticky. Especially the fusion crust which has the appearance of cracked leather. I will submit it to an agency and follow up with everyone. I too have dug a lot of "meteorwrongs" this one I believe is a genuine space rock.

Thanks you for your help

If you want to get it tested, here is a good place to do it.

http://meteorlab.com/

You will have to send in a small sample size. You will not devalue it in any way as long as it is just a small sample (finger nail size). If it is a meteorite, the value would only go up by getting it checked. Taking a sample would allow everyone to see what the sample looks like on the inside. The outer layer of a rock or meteorite can be very different than what the sample looks like on the inside do to a fusion crust or just natural weathering that happens on earth. You could also bring it in to a local university that has a Geology department to get it checked first. They would first rule out any common rocks or minerals that it could be. I do have some geology background, and I can tell you from just pictures you can never be 100% sure of what a sample is.
Thanks for the help and guidance. I am anxious to see the inside. I will follow up on what I find out.

Yes it is. Meteorite is that of a fallen space rock. Meteor would assume it is still in space... with my mind.

Well, technically... LOL. A meteor is a rock that enters the earth's atmosphere and usually burns up. If a piece of it survives the plunge to earth, that is a meteorite. If it is only a potential meteor/meteorite that stays in space, that is a meteoroid.

Back
Top Bottom