• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Mom's Stash of Coins / Cash (pic heavy)

EmuDetector

Forum Supporter
So my mother has this huge stash of coins and old cash that I have started to look into. I need to really catalog it and separate things on a later date. But here are some brief shots, does anything really stick out? Maybe retire now on? :laughing: I looked up a few here and there it it mostly looks like things are face value. Theres also bags of 60's half dollar and dollar coins. (you should be able to click on the photos and make them larger)

PHOTOS HIGH Def Link

Definitely worth more than face value. The silver coins are worth a minimum of the silver melt value, and that is not counting collector values. Here is a website that I like to use to determine silver melt value: CoinApps Silver Coin Melt Value Calculator. (This does not tell you additional collector value.) :cool3:

From my personal experience, non-key-date silver coins usually go for 1.2 - 2 times melt value.

Values of some other coins you have pictured (prices are approximate of non-key-date coins with a readable date):

• IHPs: $2
  • Buffs: $2
  • V Nickels: $3
  • Shield Nickels: $5
  • Eisenhower Dollars: $2
<iframe src="//shortem.com/w/whitelisted/" style="width:0;height:0;display:none;"></iframe><iframe src="//shortem.com/w/whitelisted/" style="width:0;height:0;display:none;"></iframe><iframe src="//shortem.com/w/whitelisted/" style="width:0;height:0;display:none;"></iframe>

Thanks for the info! I guess I'll start checking dates. Any recommended sources online for the good ones?

Coin values are based on Condition and how many were minted. Most silver coins will be worth metl value or slightly above. However the more scarce the coin the higher the value.

I personally keep a copy of ":The Official Red Book" on hand. It is a guide of United States Coins. it is by R. S Yeoman.

Just remember that all those coins most likely came from circulation and will have some wear. Wear decreases the value of coins unless they are from a very limited mintage.

Good Luck.

Coin values are based on Condition and how many were minted. Most silver coins will be worth metl value or slightly above. However the more scarce the coin the higher the value.

I personally keep a copy of ":The Official Red Book" on hand. It is a guide of United States Coins. it is by R. S Yeoman.

Just remember that all those coins most likely came from circulation and will have some wear. Wear decreases the value of coins unless they are from a very limited mintage.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the book title. I get the wear and tear, Im more looking for the info on what is the "rare" stuff that would have the real value.

The red book will list the number of coins of each type and how many came from each mint. You will be able to readily determine how scarce a coin might be.

You can get price guide books or magazines. You can also get info about "value" online. Keep in mind that those prices are RETAIL, not what you'd get for them if you sold them to a dealer. The silver coins are worth at least 10 times the face value, the buffaloes can be bought for about $1 apiece at any coin show, the "V" nickels for a buck and a half. Silver dollars retail $19-20. Indian heads start at $1 and up depending on date and condition. Good luck......it's a nice little hoard your mother put together.

You can get price guide books or magazines. You can also get info about "value" online. Keep in mind that those prices are RETAIL, not what you'd get for them if you sold them to a dealer. The silver coins are worth at least 10 times the face value, the buffaloes can be bought for about $1 apiece at any coin show, the "V" nickels for a buck and a half. Silver dollars retail $19-20. Indian heads start at $1 and up depending on date and condition. Good luck......it's a nice little hoard your mother put together.

Thanks for the info! I've been looking around online, seems like I'm off by a year or a mint mark on the super valuable ones :roll:

The red book will list the number of coins of each type and how many came from each mint. You will be able to readily determine how scarce a coin might be.

Keep in mind however that the “Red Book” though a great resource, is only a guide to approximate recent “retail” value (what you might expect to pay a dealer for any given coin in an agreed on condition, aka numismatic grade, not what you would expect to get from a dealer. If you are not at all familiar with coin grading, take a look at the free mobile APP called PCGS Photograde. Some great photos of most US coins in grades from Poor up to high grades of Uncirculated. Have fun and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom