Knock off Pinpointer

DbblTap

Elite Member
Anybody using a knock off pinpointed ? Any problems at all?
Did you spray Berliner on it or anything that would make it last longer ?

Thanks!
GLHH

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

I bought a knock off "GP" and couldn't stand it. Slow to turn on, not responsive, depth very bad. I actually felt ripped off with my purchase. That being said, in the link from Jim there are some happy customers with it, so maybe some are better than others. But nothing beats a true Garrett carrot. Oh, I put duct tape on the end of the pin pointer, keeps for a few months and prevents any damage. I'm admittedly pretty tough on my pin pointers.

Is a GP as good as a carrot ? NO!!! Of course not. But right now I can't afford a carrot. I bought a GP for $12 from an eBay store. And guess what it finds metal. I find coins in a tenth the time it took without one. Whould a carrot save me more time? Most likely yes. But if you can't justify the cost of a carrot right now I strongly suggest getting a GP.

I love the nokta pointer it’s only 85$ and performs like a carrot

I am a natural cheap skate. and I wish I had just bought a quality one from the start. I got the Nokta Pointer for 85.00 and kicking myself for not buying one sooner. I bought 4 or 5 cheapo's before doing this.

I just plasti dipped my knock off last night.

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

I have a $30 "Kuman" carrot-style pinpointer I bought on Amazon and it works great. I don't know why anyone would spend $100 on a brand name PP.

I have a $30 "Kuman" carrot-style pinpointer I bought on Amazon and it works great. I don't know why anyone would spend $100 on a brand name PP.

For one thing DEPTH of detection. This can save a person A LOT of time.

Got my GP pointer off E-bay for less that $20.

It seems to do the job. It has plenty of depth for me. I basically use a pin pointer to see if its in the plug or still in the hole. Used a HF pointer for a long time. I think this is at least that good. And much more weather proof.

But I have never even held a top of the line pointer, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

With the Garrett PP, I like to support USA companies rather than getting a knockoff. Besides after you burn through the cheap ones you could have just bought the original.

I just ordered a second GP pointer for my backup kit.

I found out HF no longer carries the one I use to use.

I have bought two new Garrett detectors, I like them. But on the pointers, until I see a real short coming with the GP, I'm going to save where I can.

Maybe I can buy another new Garrett machine down the line.

I've used the GP cheap knockoff and it worked...but it wasn't even splash resistant and it's sensitivity was awful. But, it was better than nothing and for $20, it wasn't a bad deal.

For those who've never used a "real" pinpointer, they may be satisfied with knockoff stuff. But once you use a genuine Garrett Carrot, Minleab Pro-Find 35 or other name-brand pinpointer, you'll wonder how anyone can use anything else.

I've used cheapies and high end ones, the ultra cheap radio shack/harbor freight ones are garbage, I have an oversensitive Garret Pro I'd like to toss at a tree sometimes, and I've had Chinese(not garret copycats) ones that worked better and were waterproof for a fraction of the cost. Bottom line, check honest reviews of the product, get what you can afford, don't worry about anyone's politics on the matter, support USA products if you can, have fun. To answer the question, there are affordable non branded pinpointers that work and worth what you spend on them.

Back
Top Bottom