Finally got a multiple (small) silver hunt...

Waveoff

Elite Member
I decided to drive out to the old grass airstrip where I used to fly skydivers almost 20 years ago. My research showed that the area was once part of an old farm dating back to the early 1800s. The airport dates to the 1950s.

My intent was to see if I could turn up any old relics or coins in the fields there. Since the place is an airport, most of the areas are nicely mowed. My old boss gave me permission to search wherever I wanted on the 50+ acres he owns. I wasn't finding much down near the old road...just modern trash. I worked my way into an open field area near the runway and only found some deep iron that was unidentifiable. My next focus area was the old tiedown area where the planes used to park. I first found what looked like an obliterated 3 ringer bullet. I forgot to take a picture of it before I gave it to my old boss. After that, I started finding coins. My first coin target ended up being a wheatie stuck to a Merc. After working a 50'x50' area, I got tired of digging in the concrete like ground. I ended up with 4 silvers and 9 wheats. Not a bad silver to wheatie ratio.

I plan on going back there when the ground softens up a bit. I quickly scanned an adjacent area and there were more coin signals in the ground. My girlfriend has only ever found one silver coin (a '38 Walker!) and I'd like to see her dig some more.

wSQv3go.jpg

HEJOcUb.jpg

ib6sAxH.jpg

ZsAObbY.jpg

dmAPHzj.jpg

Great hunt! Nice saves, love the mercs and war nickles. Hopefully you get somemore out of the site, and it rains soon.

Good save

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Nice hunt! Congrats on the quadruple!

Thank you!

Congrats on the silver finds!

Thank you!

Yea !! that makes for a nice hunt !!!!

Thanks! I agree!

Congrats Fred on a multi Silver hunt. I know it is a great feeling for sure. The Silver to Wheat ratio on this one is great. Trapper

Thanks Trapper!

Great hunt! Nice saves, love the mercs and war nickles. Hopefully you get somemore out of the site, and it rains soon.

Thank you! I hope so as well. We need the rain...

Nice saves man! I find it amusing that you're in Pennsylvania, and all your dimes are from the San Francisco and Denver mints...:D

Congrats on a great hunt and hopefully those other ones you heard are shiny as well. :aok:

Nice saves man! I find it amusing that you're in Pennsylvania, and all your dimes are from the San Francisco and Denver mints...:D

Congrats on a great hunt and hopefully those other ones you heard are shiny as well. :aok:

Thank you! It's kind of funny how almost every silver coin I've found this year has had a mint mark on it.:) Last year, only a couple of my silvers had mint marks. You just never know!

I like the in-situ pix. Good play-by-play !

Thank you Tom! I'm hitting up a farm field in the AM. Hopefully I'll find one of those elusive large coppers that everyone but me finds around here!

Back
Top Bottom