You ever lose one of your finds? **UPDATE 7/19/18**

Stiffwrists

Elite Member
I recently found a pair of Franklin halves. I'd been carrying them around in my pocket. I do that sometimes with recent finds. Anyway, my family and I were in church service last week and I took them out of my pocket and handed them to my son to look at. You guessed it, he dropped one and it rolled about 3 rows behind us. He looked under the pews and could see it laying on the carpet. It was in the middle of service, so I told him we would go pick it up after the service. He looked again a few minutes later and it was no longer on the floor. Haha.
After the service we went and talked to the family that was sitting on that row. The mother said, "Oh yes, my little one picked that up" she asked her 3 year old where he put that coin he found. He forgot where he put it. We couldn't find it anywhere. I told her not to worry about it, but let me know if it showed up. My son felt bad. I assured him it wasn't a big deal at all.
Later on that night they stopped by my house, (I wasn't home, but my son was) and said they couldn't find it, but gave my son a clad Kennedy half. Haha. Sometimes some coins are just destined to be lost!

**UPDATE 7/19/18**
Just saw this note and once lost Franklin half on my porch. :lol::lol::cool::cool:

Attachments

• 20180719_180035_resized.jpg
    20180719_180035_resized.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Lol yes sir!!! My wife dropped '35 walker behind the mantel of the fire place the same day I dug it. Tore the mantel up to get it though. I have also dropped what I have dug after getting it out of the hole, and my first thought is always !!!!!!!! I will never find that just to remember.....Goober YOU HAVE YOUR DETECTOR WITH YOU!!!!!

It usually happens when I go to put it in my bag and miss the bag. Then it like trying to figure out where it bounced too. Even with the detector sometimes it take more time finding the drop item than it did to originally recover it.

Ray

Yup. I found a sterling lieutenants bar pin, left it on my desk at work and the next day it was gone. I must have accidentally brushed it off my desk into the trash can, dunno. Looked everywhere for that bugger, only one I’ve ever found and I treasure my finds (maybe a bit too much) so it is missed dearly :(. Sorry for your loss ;). I feel your pain.

lost coin

I recently found a pair of Franklin halves. I'd been carrying them around in my pocket. I do that sometimes with recent finds. Anyway, my family and I were in church service last week and I took them out of my pocket and handed them to my son to look at. You guessed it, he dropped one and it rolled about 3 rows behind us. He looked under the pews and could see it laying on the carpet. It was in the middle of service, so I told him we would go pick it up after the service. He looked again a few minutes later and it was no longer on the floor. Haha.
After the service we went and talked to the family that was sitting on that row. The mother said, "Oh yes, my little one picked that up" she asked her 3 year old where he put that coin he found. He forgot where he put it. We couldn't find it anywhere. I told her not to worry about it, but let me know if it showed up. My son felt bad. I assured him it wasn't a big deal at all.
Later on that night they stopped by my house, (I wasn't home, but my son was) and said they couldn't find it, but gave my son a clad Kennedy half. Haha. Sometimes some coins are just destined to be lost!
Bet it ended up in the collection plate .:laughing:

Did you scan the kid with your detector? A walker half is a big coin to swallow, but them little kids do stuff like that. :?:

My lost find was a sterling ring with a heart shaped garnet. I was all excited to hand it over to the wife just as soon as I got home. I was keeping it in my front pocket, and when I reached for it, as she was anxiously waiting to see what treasure I had for her, my big hero smile drained real quick. It was gone! After tearing apart the car, and all my pockets, several times, I thought I must have lost it when I stopped at the grocery store. I called the store, and they had it! THANK YOU KIND CITIZEN, and LOST AND FOUND! (note to self: don't put rings in your money pocket)
I got it back, the wife loved it, and I regained a some of my hero status.

Horrible! Shudders! With kids around, theres no place safe for a coin!...thats why we find them I guess, Kids!...a grown Man would never lose a nickle....:laughing:

Yup.....was detecting on a beach in Hawaii when I found a nice little Black Hills Gold ring. Stood up in 3' of water & put it in my pocket. Started walking back to my hotel room & when I got there it was gone! Went back to where I put it in my pocket & detected but no luck. Someone came up to me and asked if I'd heard about the little girl who had just picked up a gold ring about where I was! They wished me luck and I thanked them......

Yeah... I keep my finds in one of those plastic boxes with all the dividers and one night while watching a movie I was looking through my 'treasure' and the box slid off the couch and stuff went EVERYWHERE. Found it all except a little older sterling ring, not worth much but liked it because it was found at my workplace. Tried my pinpointer on the carpet as well as lots of combing with my fingers but no luck. A couple weeks later I was walking barefoot to the couch, felt something weird, and the damn ring was around my pinky toe! What are the odds of that?

Lost the first silver dime I had ever dug. 1946 Rosie in good shape. It was in the pouch when I was done hunting but when I arrived home, it had gone AWOL. :yikes:

Found a Gold Nugget and on the way to my Granddaughters Dance recital (I was in the backseat because my Daughter drove) I was talking about it with my daughter and her husband.
My Granddaughter was curious and I asked her if she wanted to see it.. She said yes so I went to hand it to her and it slipped out of my hand and went between the seats. I was like OMG and started digging for it and could not for the life of me find it.
Got to the Recital and had to go inside and The whole time I was worried about my Nugget.

Well we get back outside and I start looking under and between the seats and Nope NO NUGGET.
Once we got home my son in law and I started looking hard for it and it was no where.. but not like it could of gone far right?

Well a half hour in My daughter who is smaller got back there and got practically under the back seat and saw it Sitting on a Metal Ledge (the brace) of the back seat.. was an Impossible place for it to land but it was there.
Long story short.. Lost for about 3 hours but Found again !!

Yup, another nugget story. The only true gold I have found was (note the was) a tie tack with a small nugget. I gave it to my daughter-in-law to clean since she works with jewelry. Shortly after that, they had a fire at their home and I suspect it was lost in the mess. I haven't had the heart to mention it to her since she is a sweetheart and is the mother of 3 of the greatest grandkids in the world. Much better than gold in my book!

I lost a find yesterday. Hunting a civil war battle field area (legal, not a national or state park) and found an interesting piece of rusted round iron bar about the diameter 1/2". it was bent in a u-shape, but did not look like a horseshoe which in my experience are flat. It was about six inches high and five inches wide. It was smooth round and not with ridges like rebar.

anyone know what that might be? don't have a picture. That is another lesson take a recovery picture and secure all finds carefully.

I have no idea what it was, but hooked on one of my jeans belt loops and continued hunting and digging. about 30 min later l notice it was missing. I back tracked my path but could not find it. So I don't have a clue if it was a valuable relic or not.

.... I haven't had the heart to mention it to her since she is a sweetheart and is the mother of 3 of the greatest grandkids in the world. Much better than gold in my book![/QUOTE]

That's a great way to think of it.

Horrible! Shudders! With kids around, theres no place safe for a coin!...thats why we find them I guess, Kids!...a grown Man would never lose a nickle....:laughing:
Yeah right.....back in the later '90s I found my first and still only shield nickel. It was really toasty with a very hard crust all over but you could make out the shield and America. Having no knowledge at the time on how to remove any of it, it lay on the end of my desk at home for three years than one day gone. Another trash can victim I suspect.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

40 years ago I dug a pair of 18kt gold-framed bifocals, with German inscription. Perfect shape, very old. A year later they disappeared. I was 15 when I found them.

Back
Top Bottom