Depressed and Excited... at the same time!!

Diggin

Ok, so I have a BH Sharpshooter 2. It airtests a dime at about 8 in. So today, just for the heck of it, I go out into my test garden(where I test my tesoro) and swing a little. Before now, I have never used it in the test garden. The soil is pretty neutral also. So I first go over it with my Silver uMax and find about where the targets are. None of them are over 6 inches. I found a nice dime/quarter signal and then switched over to the BH. Nothing. I dig it up and it was a dime at 2 and a half inches. My BH is now on its merry way to the dump. The Sens. was Max and discrimination was off. Brand new Energizer batteries also. I also tested some other coins and had the same results. Now I feel happy 'cause I can go back to the spots I thought I cleaned out and re hunt them.

Good post.

I had one funny experience with a top brand that could air test a quarter at 15+ inches but couldn't find it 4 inches deep. Later I discovered the machine was too powerful and deep iron and minerals were cancelling out (masking) the signal from the shallow test coin thereby making it invisible. :lol: In such places one must turn the sensitivity way down, use a small coil, or use a less powerful machine.

One day I tested a super cheap junk detector just for laughs. To my surprise I dug a pocket full of modern coins and a toy plane. I had hunted that spot many times with the top brands. The cheap machine only went about 2 inches deep and wasn't affected by the deeper trash. This shortcoming turned around to be an advantage.

The detector world is really interesting.

Good post.

I had one funny experience with a top brand that could air test a quarter at 15+ inches but couldn't find it 4 inches deep. Later I discovered the machine was too powerful and deep iron and minerals were cancelling out (masking) the signal from the shallow test coin thereby making it invisible. :lol: In such places one must turn the sensitivity way down, use a small coil, or use a less powerful machine.

One day I tested a super cheap junk detector just for laughs. To my surprise I dug a pocket full of modern coins and a toy plane. I had hunted that spot many times with the top brands. The cheap machine only went about 2 inches deep and wasn't affected by the deeper trash. This shortcoming turned around to be an advantage.

It would be nice to know what detectors you are talking about... I don't think that you will offend anyone to say that top brand name...

Don't throw it away, I have seen a BH rake in the clad and pull silver and gold. It's in knowing the machine and where it's used. The more tools you have, the better the job you can do.

That's why so many people love the Compadre even if they own a fancy detector. You never have to dig too deep to find out if it's trash.

Good post.

Don't throw it away, I have seen a BH rake in the clad and pull silver and gold. It's in knowing the machine and where it's used. The more tools you have, the better the job you can do.
Yes and the Compadre does that job nicely.:D

Back
Top Bottom