First Field Hunt with Equinox 600

Bill_Ace_350

Elite Member
Got my first chance to hunt my fields with the Equinox 600.

Did a factory reset, went to Field 2, ground balanced and maxed out the sensitivity.

I thought it was broken, because it didn't make a sound. frequently checked it against my boot eyelets to make sure it was really working.

I was impressed at the depth it could detect very small iron objects.

Dug only square nails and small pieces of barbed wire.

still surprised at how quiet it was, compared to how noisy it is in my yard.

Because it runs on multiple frequencies it picks up a lot of different kinds of EMI. If you're coin hunting in your yard, try running it in single frequency modes 5, 10, or 15 kHz. The AT Pro, for example, runs at 15, which is a good all around frequency.

Got my first chance to hunt my fields with the Equinox 600.

Did a factory reset, went to Field 2, ground balanced and maxed out the sensitivity.

I thought it was broken, because it didn't make a sound. frequently checked it against my boot eyelets to make sure it was really working.

I was impressed at the depth it could detect very small iron objects.

Dug only square nails and small pieces of barbed wire.

Best of luck to you on your adventure with your Nox 600. I have had mine since the fall of last year and love it.
When I find an old house site on a map that is gone and all's there is a field. I try to find the noisiest area with bits of glass and pottery on the ground. Them I feel like I am in the zone to find some good items.
Square nail squirrel has some good YouTube videos on the Nox. He uses the 800 but the basics are still the same. Plenty of other good videos just have to look for them.

Sounds to me like the field you hunted was at one time filled with fill dirt. I found an open lot downtown that I was sure held tons of treasure. At one time it held over a dozen homes from the 1880's. Hit it for over an hour with hardly a peep from the 800. Come to find out, back in the 90's, it was scraped and filled. Some older areas around here are deemed "contaminated" so the city will scrape off the top layer and then refill with new dirt. Hard to find old dirt around here sometimes.

Sounds to me like the field you hunted was at one time filled with fill dirt. I found an open lot downtown that I was sure held tons of treasure. At one time it held over a dozen homes from the 1880's. Hit it for over an hour with hardly a peep from the 800. Come to find out, back in the 90's, it was scraped and filled. Some older areas around here are deemed "contaminated" so the city will scrape off the top layer and then refill with new dirt. Hard to find old dirt around here sometimes.

I don't believe it was filled. have found coins and relics in that field with my AT Pro. it is so much quieter than the Pro.

Because it runs on multiple frequencies it picks up a lot of different kinds of EMI. If you're coin hunting in your yard, try running it in single frequency modes 5, 10, or 15 kHz. The AT Pro, for example, runs at 15, which is a good all around frequency.

appreciate the tip!

You probably already know this but...
Run the single low frequency when coin hunting. I think yours is 5. The lower frequencies ( mine is 3 kHz) slam on high non ferrous conductors! A copper penny @ 9" will/can sound like its a couple inches deep.
I have the 705 and have to change coils. Recently I changed from my 7.5 freq. To the 3 and immediately started to rock on 8" coins. And an 8" dime from a 6" coil is impressive in the real world anyway. I'd go with the 5 if coins/silver is the most desired target.

I don't believe it was filled. have found coins and relics in that field with my AT Pro. it is so much quieter than the Pro.

You probably already realize this, but the AT Pro's default mode in Pro Zero is no discrimination on iron. On the other hand, the default mode on every preset with the Equinox is to have the iron discriminated out, and Field 2 even discriminates out a little of the lower foil range. You'd have to turn the iron audio on the Nox (horseshoe button) to get something similar to the AT Pro's default. Or, crank up the iron discrimination on the AT Pro.

With iron audio turn on or off, I'd be surprised if Field 2 is silent with the sensitivity maxed out. That has iron bias at 0 and a high recovery speed. I pick up tiny pieces of metal at depth in that mode.

But, are these good signals you're hearing with the AT Pro and not the Nox? Have any of those signals been worth digging? Or, is it just chatter and falsing on the AT Pro? Perhaps the silence of the Nox is a good thing.

You probably already realize this, but the AT Pro's default mode in Pro Zero is no discrimination on iron. On the other hand, the default mode on every preset with the Equinox is to have the iron discriminated out, and Field 2 even discriminates out a little of the lower foil range. You'd have to turn the iron audio on the Nox (horseshoe button) to get something similar to the AT Pro's default. Or, crank up the iron discrimination on the AT Pro.

With iron audio turn on or off, I'd be surprised if Field 2 is silent with the sensitivity maxed out. That has iron bias at 0 and a high recovery speed. I pick up tiny pieces of metal at depth in that mode.

But, are these good signals you're hearing with the AT Pro and not the Nox? Have any of those signals been worth digging? Or, is it just chatter and falsing on the AT Pro? Perhaps the silence of the Nox is a good thing.

I forgot to say that with the At Pro I hunt pro zero, iron disc at 35, iron audio off, sensitivity max minus 2.

At Pro Ground balanced at +-89 tonight, Equinox +-6.

not sure of the scale on the 2 machines, wondering if this is normal

I forgot to say that with the At Pro I hunt pro zero, iron disc at 35, iron audio off, sensitivity max minus 2.

At Pro Ground balanced at +-89 tonight, Equinox +-6.

not sure of the scale on the 2 machines, wondering if this is normal

EqX works backwards scale wise.
Mild ground 0 or single digits.

AT pro and Xp Deus will be at approx 90.

Found a couple of 12 gauge head stamps tonight. have to clean them up, both low base. also found a bunch of fence post staples.
if I connect the dots, maybe I can "map out" a portion of an old fence line.

curious! not being critical, but wondering why one would buy an equinox multi,
and use it in single frequency mode? i am aware that sometimes it may be better to run in single frequency mode,BUT why buy an equinox then? it seems counter productive, especially since they ain't exactly giving these detectors away! you should be able to use it "all the time" in multi freak mode.find a way to 'deal" with the e.m.i...if ya can't, then you wasted your money, just buy a single frequency detector that is NOT effected by e.m.i.perhaps i am being ignorant, and am missing something here?..if so, my mind is open, let me know! as far as i know, the true advantage to owning one,IS the multi freak mode..i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

The Nox 600 and 800 work fairly well in single frequency. Yes, when EMI is super bad single frequency will keep you detecting. In my back yard in Denver I have to keep my Nox 600 and 800 at around 13 sensitivity using multi frequency since EMI and ground mineralization is so bad. Both will still hit 6"+ targets in my test garden with accurate numerical target ID at almost half sensitivity that no other VLF detector I own or have tried can hit even at full sensitivity. My ORX really struggles on some of these targets.

So, turning down the sensitivity in multi frequency mode in order to combat EMI will not result in too much loss of depth.

Also, in regards to Ground Balance numbers, my dirt is really mineralized according to my ORX and F19. My Nox ground balance numbers in my area are -2 to +4. My F19 in the same dirt is 88 to 93. Same with the ORX. So moderate to high mineralization may bring the Nox GB numbers down and milder soil may give higher GB numbers..............
I think TNsharpshooter had it backwards GB wise for the Nox.

Jeff

hi jeff!
thanks for the most interesting explanation!..i was about to pose that very important question to minelab,but i believe,you have addressed my concerns.been at this for over 35 years,and am still evaluating this "most" interesting detector.i think the 600 is all i need as i don't water hunt or gold hunt.if what you say is true in your soil, then i should have no trouble whatsoever getting really strong depth in my mild soil.i am happy there is a way to mitigate (e.m.i.) while in multi-freak mode.have to believe it makes the buying decision a little easier...thanks!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Back
Top Bottom