• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Why not an hour meter on detectors?

pryan67

Forum Supporter
I'd personally love to see something built into detectors that would measure usage time.

Would that be something others would find worthwhile?

MMMmm

I think the price's are high enough now :roll:, I bet if ML put one on the Equinox the price would inflate to a CTX3030 price over night :shock: howboutit now i can see this on a boat , mower, air plane, not a detector . ONE more valid point, for example, new technology comes out, for resale wouldn't matter , as say Teknetic's Omega 8000 V4 than V5, Than V6 came out :roll: even the up Date machines , like the Deus and ML , people will buy the latest version out, along with the hottest machine's out, :imo: it wouldn't be a feature that manufacturer's wouldn't add , as far as keeping track of your detecting time everyone knows when they start and finish, now they did add a GPS on the CTX to track were you detected , and you can come back, and know were you hunted, mark the spots, but i have yet to use that feature, happy hunting , my opinion here only, no beef. :D

Last edited:
I think the price's are high enough now :roll:, I bet if ML put one on the Equinox the price would inflate to a CTX3030 price over night :shock: howboutit now i can see this on a boat , mower, air plane, not a detector . ONE more valid point, for example, new technology comes out, for resale wouldn't matter , as say Teknetic's Omega 8000 V4 than V5, Than V6 came out :roll: even the up Date machines , like the Deus and ML , people will buy the latest version out, along with the hottest machine's out, :imo: it wouldn't be a feature that manufacturer's wouldn't add , as far as keeping track of your detecting time everyone knows when they start and finish, now they did add a GPS on the CTX to track were you detected , and you can come back, and know were you hunted, mark the spots, but i have yet to use that feature, happy hunting , my opinion here only, no beef. :D

Good point...it would also certainly hurt resale value...even though a machine with 500 hours on it is just as good (most likely) as a machine with 50 hours...

Good point...it would also certainly hurt resale value...even though a machine with 500 hours on it is just as good (most likely) as a machine with 50 hours...

500 hrs in a cool climate vs 500 hrs in the Arizona blazing sun. Heat makes plastics brittle.

Our cell phones have a timer, really wish detectors did too!

500 hrs in a cool climate vs 500 hrs in the Arizona blazing sun. Heat makes plastics brittle.

Our cell phones have a timer, really wish detectors did too!

You say that now...

When I played World of Warcraft, all it took me was adding up all of the time I spent online across all of my characters to realize I was spending too much time playing games. I immediately quit. If my metal detector told me how much time I spent using it, I would likely stop hunting.

Besides the purchase date, the number of hours would be included in the warranty.

Excellent point - you’d definitely start to see warranties spelled out in terms such as “warranty for 2 years or 200 hours operating time, whichever is reached first”.

I'd actually like to know how much Time I have behind the coil...like an hour meter on a piece of equipment!

Keeping track of time allows a guy to evaluate where he's wasting his Life and possibly re-adjust behaviors into more profitable and pleasureables!

How many hours has a guy put in at work, or Church, or on a golf bag, or sitting in traffic, or behind a lawn mower, or a snow shovel, or a leaf rake, or shopping with the Missus...or a fishing boat, or sitting on @ss watching TV?

Or having Sets?....Have a little punchclock timer right there on the table next to the bed? Like those chess players use? Just so a guy knows how much time a Married guy has had sets in 40yrs?? I'd like to know just to disappoint myself and perhaps modify behavior..,in this category, I'm sure I have more time on my hands.....

Women are better at managing and manipulating Time than/and Men anyway... they only got a few good years to make the most of it afterall...Sure it takes an hour to get dressed, or go shopping, but this is not considered as wasted time, sets time is on the backburner...so in a way thats like Detecting?...Who can fault a guy for going out looking for a totlot penny?

..Time spent behind the Coil is the only real fun time we get on this miserable Planet! So I'd like to know exactly how much fun I had! :laughing:.

Last edited:
as far as electronics go I do not think an hour meter will help. Electrical components break down due to the age of the component not the hours of use.
If you use one detector every day for 5 years and just let another sit in a closet for 5 years the rate of the materials in the components breaking down will be the same. It is the age of the component NOT the hours of actual use that determines its life span.

Some interesting points here and I have to agree with some that it probably would not be a good idea. As one poster said, its the age of the electronics, not necessarily the use.

I think this should be an app that could be downloaded if you chose to. This would be good for personal usage, if desired, but not a great thing for buying/selling value appraising.

I've heard of updating software/firmware on metal detectors, but never heard of downloading apps on them. Why not?

Back
Top Bottom