Percussion rifle lock found

Barneymartin3

Here is two photos of an old percussion rifle lock and barrel band found in the mountains of East Tennessee. Notice it was found in the cocked position! I know it is probably a long shot but any ideas as to what type of rifle this was would be welcomed. Could it date Civil War era? Thanks!

Attachments

• LOCK1.jpg
    LOCK1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 253
  • LOCK2.jpg
    LOCK2.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 291
I suspect that would certainly date to the civil war era. Some locks were commercially made and sold thru jobbers to individual gunsmiths who built rifles. You could gently clean it and compare to online photos, carefully looking at the shape of the lock and hammer and you may be able to find a match.
That sure is a cool find. Considering that it is in the cocked position one can only imagine the conditions under which it was lost. I assume you have searched the area thoroughly for the barrel and buttplate.

Been doing a lot internet searching on percussion locks and I think I finally found what type of rifle it came from. I'm reposting one of my pictures showing another photo of a US Model 1842 rifle. The locks are virtually identical. So most likely it was used during the Civil War. Confederate?? I'm definitely going back to this site to find more pieces of the rifle and hopefully determine there was a small camp in that area.

Attachments

• LOCK1.jpg
    LOCK1.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 175
Back
Top Bottom