My first ring ever!

Atomic Dawg

I actually purchased my metal detector on 11/22/10 so I would get out of the house and get some exercise. One thing I learned pretty quick... If you "dig it all", you're not going to do much walking. Where I detect, I would end up digging a hole every two feet. The other thing I've come to accept is my local parks are clad heaven. (or hell) Since they are relatively new, all I ever find is clad, clad, clad... I haven't even dug a wheat let alone silver. There's just no satisfaction in digging a 2007 penny.

Discrimination to the rescue! To solve both problems, I just discriminate out everything below a quarter. I end up doing a decent amount of walking between holes and my clad total is rising fast. It's quicker to dig a single hole for a quarter than 25 penny holes! I haven't tried any other detectors, but I've been real pleased with my ACE 250's discrimination. When it says it's a quarter, it's a quarter. Well, most of the time...

I was doing a little after dark hunt in a local park. Ding, ding, ding... I dig the hole and it's a quarter. After filling the hole, I check around and get another ding, ding, ding about two feet away. After pulling the plug, I put the probe in the hole and get a solid tone. I look in the hole and see what I think is my quarter. As I grab it, I think, "This isn't a quarter. It looks like a washer of some sort. No, wait...it's my first ring! Woot!"

10g of 925 silver. I know it's "no big" but I sure got a kick out of it! I was getting pretty tired of digging quarters!

Attachments

• IMGP0801.JPG
    IMGP0801.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 510
  • IMGP0803.JPG
    IMGP0803.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 526
Last edited:
Congratulations as well. It feels great when you find your first ring. I too found my first ring with the Ace250. If you want to find some gold I would recommend adding the nickel, pull tab and dime in there as well. I found my first gold ring on the nickel setting and the second gold item was on the pull tab. I have learned to dig any signal that pops up on these ID's. Another tip is when you get a target if it jumps around the ID its most likely junk but if it continues to hit on the same ID then its a good target to dig. Hope this help and good luck and happy hunting.

Mario

Good going on that ring.
Nothing below a Quarter, huh?
I don't mind digging pennies and all that other stuff.
Please post the GPS coordinates of your sites and I will be happy to clean them out for you.
I promise I will only dig signals at dimes or below.:D

Congratulations.Next one will be gold;)

Nope. He's only digging quarter signals! :lol:

You should really be digging at least dimes and quarters and disc out zincolns if you're looking for silver. I've found silver that ranges from foil range all the way up to half dollar readings. Most common silver though is in the dime range. Nice silver though. Good job.

congrats on the ring!! if you discriminate everything under a quarter your gonna be missing the gold:shock:

If that's your first ring and silver to boot?!
It is a "a big deal " !!! That's great man !! She's a dandy too !!
Nice big ,beefy, silver ring is something to get excited about !!
Nice find !!
Congrats !!
P.S. I'd probably open up your discrimination to at least dimes too ;)
You don't want to miss his little brothers & sisters, now do you ? :no: :lol:

Good for you! I have yet to find anything of importance(just got my detector for christmas 2010 and only have put in 8 hours of so on my machine in my yard) I am really inspired to read stories like yours! My first ring is right around the corner, i can feel it!

First Ring, WTG

Congrads on the ring find. My first silver ring was near the tenth hole of a frizbee course and chunky. I was also so pumped. There is something about rings, you know. They are so cool and for the most part complete unlike a chain that might be broken. Like the guys said include the range for nickels and dimes, gold may show up in your finds. That ring will keep you digging for a few months. Marty

Congrats on your first ring, and a good sized one too! 10g is a nice chunk 'o' silver! Now that you have the taste for it, you'll need more... and more... and more. GL & HH!!

Back
Top Bottom