Wheaties when you least expect them

dan

Elite Member
Got my first wheatback of the year yesterday!

Now I live in Illinois, and the ground has been frozen and snow-covered for the entire year so far. So how did I get a wheatie?

I was at a thrift shop yesterday. I bought a few items, and I got a penny in change. It was a 1948-D!

Funny, it seems to be in a LOT better condition than the ones I dig up....

You cheated Dan,,,, lol

I know what you mean.

I hunted in some tot lots one day.

I got something in my shoe early that day
and just never got it out until the end of
the day.

It was a wheaty in real good condition!!!

Ya just never know,

so keep yur eyes open,

That's my birth year. Nice fine in change. Better than digging up I guess.
HH Jim In Lynchburg VA

We take all good finds.. eyeball, change or dug.... I was getting several wheaties a month in change during the fall last year, but it has tapered off... only found one in change this year. RickO

I got a '56D in change about a month ago. It looked brand new. I thought when I turned it over, that they had come out with a new design, until I realized that I was looking at a Wheat Cent.

AWESOME! Gives you/us inspiration if nothing else! It was a good day for you....:cheers:to your lucky find! P.S....I really AM becoming an adict to this forum. It is stories like these remind me that I'm not the only person out there that is unique in this way! Most/ALOT of people would have never even noticed or cared about the treasure in their palm! It's a great feeling to feel validated:)

I got a brand new presidential $1 coin in change yesterday as well as an off-strike penny, both from my local KFC......gotta start eating chicken more often!!!:lol::D:yes:

Dusty

A few days ago I had some time to kill so I took a walk outside a shopping center. And since I started MDing I've learned to keep my eyes on the ground. In half an hour I found one coin...you guessed, it a 1940 wheatie. And then at the gym I go to for rehab there were 2 pennies on the sign in table and sure enough, one of them was a wheatie. Go figure.

Funny thing along the same lines... Since I started metal detecting two years ago. I seem to watch the ground for coins way more then I used to. I mean in parking lots, on the way to the store, where ever I am. I have found way more coins just walking around then I ever did before. Just better awareness I guess.

Several years ago my wife set aside a bowl just for coins she finds on the ground. That bowl is becoming quite full!

One more story: I have seen teenagers actually throw their loose change on the ground and laugh about how worthless coins are.

I shake my head in wonder as I gather their castoff money.

I was in a store and a lady dropped a coin. She told her daughter about ten years old, to pick it up. "It's only a dime." the girl said.

I was in a store and a lady dropped a coin. She told her daughter about ten years old, to pick it up. "It's only a dime." the girl said.

I guess the recession hasn't hit all of us!

To us old folks, who remember how hard we worked to earn a nickel, today's kids are unfathomable.

Back
Top Bottom