Moisture does increase depth

Nad

I have been reading up on the Discovery Treasure Barron metal detectors and wanted to compare depths with my old VAQUERO. Went to my very dry garden and buried a silver dime at 6 inches exactly.Almost did not find the coin??????.Got the watering can out and wet down the area..Silver dime pops up at 7.5 inches,,,No headphones, good signal...Off center might be "iffy"..Well, let's try a clad dime,....good signal at 6 inches buried in dry soil..Watered the area, and we get a flying 7.5 or better inches.. Took a seated Liberty dime wiggled it around in air and am at the 7.5 to eight inch mark..About the same laying on ground surface. Everyone mentions a nickel at nine inches in ground..I wiggled a nickel in front of the coil and got nine inches solid, going to ten inches ,and got a " so so" signal from speaker......Sold the Black Widow phones I had, due to a case of near strangulation when they hung up in the woods. I think that with phones, the outer limits would come in better,My hearing is poor...,.. For reference. Vaquero, 8 by 9 concentric stock coil. setting threshold in blue,sensitivity at 9, discrimination at just a hair above iron....I screwed up...Have a Cibola, could have done a comparison..How does your Tejon stack up against the "Mighty V"?..Back in a couple of days with the Cibola tests, Thanks for stopping by, and I hope this post is of some help, cordially Nad:)

Went back out with a silver quarter on ground..7.5 to 8 inches...Air distance..Was going to bury, but the flying wampires are out for blood..These distances are in the "sweet spot".A little either way and the Minelabers will thank you for what you left.......This testing was a graphic exercise in telling me that I don't over lap enough, and need to get another pair of volume controlled phones.. Cordially Nad

There was a 20 percent increase in depth wet vs dry..We all knew wet soil made for better hunting.. These are just some solid numbers to back that up..Now, thinking of getting a widescan coil for depth and coverage comparison...One other solid idea I'm getting is that I've left more items than I found..:) Cordially Nad

Moisture in the ground does increase depth under most ground conditions. In the wrong ground, the opposite can be true.

In grounds that have a high concentration of conductive salts, depth may be lost if ground moisture increases considerably.

Alkali flats being an example???? I knew that wet salt beaches kill you...What else.???. I tried a nickel at nine inches air,,Good signal to 8.5 and that's all she wrote.. Several people e mailed me saying my numbers for coin distance were low..Buried the nickel and could not find it. Then tried "All Metal" and hit everything with the coil well off the ground.In 50 years of hunting never really played with all metal settings, now thinking the old induction balance things were all metal with a threshold. Universe is setting me up..Got permission to work what will be a very large back yard that was part of the old Village Commons..Is private property, secluded,205 years of modern history.Should have deep targets, and I just discovered ALL METAL.. If anyone knows words /music to an effective rain dance ,please send. I want WET ground....Cordially Nad....... PS, lost the silver dime..Just could not find it..Was a good two feet from where I thought I'd buried it.( senility).Am thinking that (as opposed to dry soil), wet conditions plus "all metal" can get you down another 40/ 45 percent over original depth...

Back
Top Bottom