What's a good camera for recording hunts?

Ohio Digger

Elite Member
Just wondering what folks use and what they like/dislike about their's. I was going to pick up a Kodak Playsport ZX5 but I guess they were discontinued and no one has them in stock. Some folks on Amazon/Ebay have them used and some new for as much as $240!?!? Walmart had them on their website for $80 but unfortunately don't have anymore. I like the GoPro too but I'm not about to put it on my head nor do I care to spend that much. Any other suggestions??

No need to put a gopro on your head. Lol. I have mine attatched to the box and it looks and works perfectly. My only problem is that my computer died so now i dont even use the gopro because i cant upload anything with it. When its attatched to your box its out of the way. Plus when you buy a gopro it comes with 3 mounts; 2 sticky and the square one its attatched to when you purchase it. $20 at walmart will get you a grab bag of assorted mounts. I bought the lcd backing but didnt think the $80 was worth it for the remote. I use my phone or tablet as the remote. Built in wifi is a plus! Also when its attatched to the box you can drop down and dig the hole and have it still be filmed without your face showing. Im a shy one and dont like my face on the cam. I will be bringing it with me to pennsylvania tomorrow even though i have no computer to upload to. Waitin for a better app to come out that suppports the gopro3. Gl and hope this helps. Sorry no pics to show my setup.

Lol I think if you have a GoPro you should only wear it on your head. Just kidding. They do look like great cameras. Did you get yours at Walmart? Does it have macro? I was looking at the Nanacam Pro but it's kind of bare bones. Sort of looks like the GoPro. The Kodak ZX5 seemed to have everything I wanted. That's the story of my life though... day late, dollar short.

Thanks Carol, I think that's the ZX5 though. Or at least the first several pics are. How long ago did you get it and do you recall where you got it from???

Yeah, Vlad says it's the Zx5. Ours is the royal blue and white edged one.

We got it last year on eBay. It was a kit with a flexible tripod and other dohickies. They were pretty cheap considering the other cameras available. 80 bucks? Something like that.

It was the waterproofness that sold us on it.

Sorry, I just reread your first post! You can't find them????

Vlad says there's some on ebay exactly like ours right now. Cheap!

added: This is the kit we bought, but this one is in Canada. Buy it now for $98.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kodak-ZX5-2...rofessional_Video_Cameras&hash=item257fc8f5ed

GoPros are okay, but they are overkill I think for most detecting videos. They do NOT offer Macro, they are fixed focus lenses and auto shutter, meaning if it's too bright, the shutter shuts down and goes dark.

Remember, goPros are action cameras. Audio has been improved but when in the waterproof housing the audio is quite muffled.

We use gopros here at work, and while I do want one for my hunts I am not paying $400 for a gopro 3 black.

I am currently using my ZX5 that I bought last year as well. The ZX5 is okay, but there is obviously a lack of support for it, and very few mounting options.

I am currently using my ZX5 that I bought last year as well. The ZX5 is okay, but there is obviously a lack of support for it, and very few mounting options.

Yep, we had to get creative and make our own mounts.

The main thing we use the gopro for is "timelapses"

If you are only concerned about videoing the coil and recording tones, bicycle handle bar mounts are rather cheap $$$ and effective for the ZX5. I have 2, one on the V3i and one on the M6. martin

I have an ZX5 (black) as well that I never use since I bought an Olympus TG2... if you are interested in purchasing it let me know... maybe like $75 shipped?

Here is an air test video I did with the ZX5, to give you an idea of the video/sound quality:

Last edited:
I have an ZX5 (black) as well that I never use since I bought an Olympus TG2... if you are interested in purchasing it let me know... maybe like $75 shipped?

Here is an air test video I did with the ZX5, to give you an idea of the video/sound quality:

Has olympus gone over to the mainstream and use SD cards now? Before they were using proprietary xD cards which was a major pain.

Has olympus gone over to the mainstream and use SD cards now? Before they were using proprietary xD cards which was a major pain.

Yup SD cards now. Love the TG2, video is great, and the super macro mode is amazing for close up pictures of coins... you can see a few of the super macro shots in the last few finds threads I started. Only thing I don't like is the price, $325 is hard to swallow...

I bought the Zx5 last year to use as my primary camera/ camcorder. It does a great job for the things I use it for, although my only complaint is that it does not have any optical zoom. Kodak is making a new version with 3X optical zoom however. Not sure when it comes out though.

I have done some research and comparing, watched lots of youtube vids and listened to the sound quality and I have decided on the the Gopro Hero 3 white version with a headstrap.
I don't care how goofy it looks, since I am so good looking I got used to people staring and pointing at me a long time ago, and good quality videos and sound is what I am after.
My story and sticking to it.

I do have a digital Panasonic Z6 that takes great videos and even a small tripod, but using that setup is awkward and wastes too much of my time and just one extra thing I don't feel like carrying around.

The sound can be really muffled if you use that totally enclosed waterproof back plate, but if you use the more open regular backplate the sound seems to be good enough.

I bought the Zx5 last year to use as my primary camera/ camcorder. It does a great job for the things I use it for, although my only complaint is that it does not have any optical zoom. Kodak is making a new version with 3X optical zoom however. Not sure when it comes out though.

Might be in the next lifetime. Kodak filed Chapter 11 (bankruptcy) a couple years back. This is a main reason why their digital products have not advanced and have since been discontinued. Unless they get bailed out somehow they're most likely not going to be pushing product.

I have done some research and comparing, watched lots of youtube vids and listened to the sound quality and I have decided on the the Gopro Hero 3 white version with a headstrap.
I don't care how goofy it looks, since I am so good looking I got used to people staring and pointing at me a long time ago, and good quality videos and sound is what I am after.
My story and sticking to it.

Lol I wish I had your good looks! People would probably throw rocks at me. Hey quick question sort of on the subject - what's a decent editing program?

For MAC or PC? Free or Paid? I know quite a few for each. lol

PC. I didn't know they made free video editing software. Free would be nice but I'd pay a little. I don't want anything insane. Just a few bells and whistles. I thought I saw that the Kodak ZX5 comes with some kind of editing software. If I pick up a used one it may be tough to get with the software though if it actually did come with it.

PC. I didn't know they made free video editing software.

Windows has Movie Maker that's free and Linux uses Kdenlive.

If you are using Windows, it's probably already on your computer somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom