How many have lost a lot of weight from metal detecting?

hillbillydigger

Elite Member
Seeing as how the White's tv commercial tries to promote metal detecting as a way to lose weight I'm curious how many have actually lost significant weight from it? I detect many hours a week, plus I work out at gym, but honestly haven't noticed that detecting really burns calories though in theory it should. Maybe I should have gotten a White's detector to lose weight?:laughing:

I was bored, lazy and turning into a fat slug.

I started MD'ing and cut out almost all high fructose corn syrup at the same time and lost just over 30 pounds by June.

It's still gone, I don't think I lost any more. I graduated high school 27 years ago the same weight I am now.

I must have because I'm always pulling up my pants when out swinigng!

That's why I travel light, digger and pinpointer. I see guys with 12 things hanging from their belts, from shovels, phones, screwdrivers, diggers etc. I am like NO WAY!!! I have hard enough time keeping my draws up!

Started this hobby 2 years ago at 210lbs and now 190lbs. Some of it is from detecting, but I also train in the gym with weights, treadmill, elliptical etc etc

The hiking, bending, digging, walking HAS to be a positive aspect of the hobby :)

No weight loss but it has been good for my knees and lower back. The big plus is you get outdoors and mentally refreshed.

Maybe I should say I have lost some weight. But considering how my diet is strict now, quit eating out and eat at a calorie deficit since I weigh all my food on a scale and log my intake daily plus I am getting many days at least 3 hours of exercise sometimes as much as 7 hrs in a day yet my weight loss hasn't been what I would consider major. Maybe 15 lbs since I started detecting, but at my weight that isn't significant.

Something else I find odd is despite my many hours out in the sun detecting and not using sunscreen I have not really tanned much this summer nor gotten a sunburn. Which is off the topic but I find this odd too and wonder if its because we have our head and arms in the downward position that is what prevents tanning? Or are the trees in park blocking more sun than I realize? I certainly sweat a lot while I'm out though. Speaking of which I'm going out now. Catch ya guys in a few hours!

Maybe I should say I have lost some weight. But considering how my diet is strict now, quit eating out and eat at a calorie deficit since I weigh all my food on a scale and log my intake daily plus I am getting many days at least 3 hours of exercise sometimes as much as 7 hrs in a day yet my weight loss hasn't been what I would consider major. Maybe 15 lbs since I started detecting, but at my weight that isn't significant.

Try cutting out the HFCS, seriously I think that stuff is poison and it's in almost everything.

I drink a lot of soda, so I bought a sodastream machine and mix my own soda syrup from pure beet sugar. That probably had as much to do with my weight loss as MD'ing did.

I lose weight every day, after unloading my pouches full of coins, trash, my leache, pinpointer and the occasional Gatorade bottle. :laughing:

But to be honest I have lost about #20lbs since Jan of this year. I was up to #290lbs for a while, not a good weight for someone my age. But with all this walking, bending, digging and getting back up and walking more almost everyday I am starting to see a noticeable difference.

The only setback I see is my pants no longer fit tight, so I had to punch a new hole in my belt and my right arm looks more buff than my left.

I can see my feet (well my toes anyway) and I've been drinking less soda and more water lately. I've been getting more fresh, mountain air, sunshine and fresh grass/mud stains on my knees every time I go out. (Which BTW drives the wife crazy.) :lol:

Now if I can get my knees to work, and my eyes to see the coin dates better, I think I'll be 100% by November.

Just in time to pile the weight back on over the holiday seasons. But it gives me an excuse to get out of the house more often. "Honey, I'm going out to loose some weight!"

Sure beats playing golf...

"the ladies" spend much more time surveying fridge contents than they do showing off their scantily clad figures.

Last edited:
I don't use a Whites, but getting out and relic hunting digging on average 30-50 holes in hard ground with my Raven shovel is hard work. I have lost 15lbs
180 to 165.

I was at 240 lbs. July 4 2012 and I am 5'8". I started walking and started drinking less sweet tea and soda and drinking more water. I also have been laying off the fast food and try not to use a lot of salt. As of September 5 2012 I am at 230 lbs. I do not walk every day. I might do 1 2-5 mile walk a week or I might do 3 2-5 mile walks a week. I know this from getting out now walking around more I feel way better. I just got my MD but I think I will start walking more now. So I guess I will find out because I plan to MD at least 2-5 times a week.

How can I be doing it wrong? I drink light beer when I am detecting, it doesn't get any better than that!

Well if you're gaining weight while exercising...you might be doin it wrong LOL

Drink beer while detecting? No thank you! :laughing: Cheers though if it works for You!!! :)

I got a serious "12 Pack" stomach :lol: with an added Dunlop for the longest
time an' t'was gettin' bigger as I recovered from knee repl. surgery. This hobby stopped the weight gain dead in its tracks and I am drinkin' water by the gallons out there. Was damn near 290 and now have fallen 9 lbs in two months feel much better.....now will feel MUCH better if'n I dig me up a gold ring or two :lol:

Back
Top Bottom