Good video camera for detecting.

GStout76

Forum Supporter
Looking to start documenting my hunts on video and possible posting some of my vids.

Looking for a basic good camera that is hearty and mountable.

If anyone has a good set up that they care to share, please let me know.

Thanks,

Greg

I can't recommend the Panasonic Lumix LX5 enough. It is really a still camera but has HD video as well. Small and built like a tank. Very good also for macro shots of your finds and will produce stunning still images. For me it pretty much does everything! I can PM you a link to one of my videos if you like (all footage/pictures taken with the LX5). The older version, the LX3, is another great (perhaps cheaper) option. Good luck in your search! :D

I can't recommend the Panasonic Lumix LX5 enough. It is really a still camera but has HD video as well. Small and built like a tank

That's great if you want to lay down 300 bucks on a gadget lashed to a machine that gets used and abused in harsh environments. My daughter has one of them and I agree that it's a nice cam, but... :)

I'd opt for something a tad less expensive - like about say $10. I have 7 of these cute little gadgets:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-808-Ca...086?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fef3dce6

For others like it, just go to ebay and type in: keychain video

The video quality doesn't rank up there with my sony trv720, but for the purpose you need, I think it's more than sufficient. Here's a few seconds I shot just to put a sample on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swZbhIDPHeI

Keep in mind that the above sample is me holding it in my hand, stuck out the window of my car while I sat there eating (and sharing) a burger king whopper. If you lashed it to the shaft of a detector, it would be even steadier.

The only drawback is that these little cams are NOT easy to master. They have 2 tiny buttons that operate it for both the still and the video functions, and a yellow LED (viewed through a tiny hole) that lights or flashes or turns off according to the function you enter.

Depending on the device, video is split at 1gig or 2gig boundaries, and total video time is from a half hour to an hour with a 4gig memory card. To ensure a minimum of "dropped frames", I use a "class 10" mini SD card (dropped frames aren't a major problem even with class 4, but 10 is just better. Do NOT use a class 2; they're just too slow).

Just another option for you... :yes:

I've got those 808 cameras on two RC Helicopters. Work okay, video is fair.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVWLlgsP3Sg

Might not be the best choice for out in the sun though, really hard to see the lights. I turn them on, before taking them outside. Battery lasts about an hour. It's fixed focus, no screen, or anyway to know if what you are trying to get video, is in frame, in focus, until it's too late... These little cameras are really nice for the price, if you need something small and light. Would probably look a little further, for documenting you hunts though, you'll want something you can point in the hole, and show off your finds.

Might not be the best choice for out in the sun though, really hard to see the lights

Heheh...tell me about it! :lol:

BTW, it looks like your camera is out of focus for distance. This isn't at all unusual for these things, and most of mine are (were) focused at about 2 foot.

If you're handy, some of them can be refocused, although it's a PITA. You need a TINY jewelers philipshead. You have to remove the keychain part (no big deal for me - the first thing I do is take them off - except for the one I actually DO have on my keychain :)) . Then you remove the 2 screws at the keychain hole and pop the 2 halves apart. Now you come to 2 problems with the lens: First, the lens housing is glued to the case. Some use so much glue that you can't get the lens off, so that will stop you. If you do get the lens away from the casing, you'll see that the lens barrel is also glued to the housing. Again, sometimes you can "break" the glue, but if you can't, you're done. This routine failed on 3 of my 7 cams.

If you get the lens housing away from the case, and get the lens barrel to turn, then you want to hook it up as a webcam on a laptop and go outside.
Then watch the webcam as you turn the lens barrel (easiest to use tweezers or tiny longnoses) until you get the best focus at a distance. Once you do that, then you can reglue the barrel to the housing using nail polish or modeling glue, and reassemble the camera - and trying to get the case halves back together properly is another fight. :lol:

Also, I see many of your scenes are wavy, which is usually caused by the memory card not being able to keep up with the framerate. Check your mini sd card and make sure it's fast enough. If you use a class 2, the video will make you seasick. You need at least a class 4, and as I mentioned earlier, a class 10 is even better.

But aside from all that, I've always wanted to hook one of these things up to an RC aircraft just to play. It looks like you have as much fun doing it as I think it would be!! :lol:

Another project I haven't gotten around to is to make a "burrow cam" so I can look inside animal burrows or hollow tree trunks to see if I can see what kind of critters lurk there.

And one last thing...I don't know if you've come across this site or not, but it has LOADS of hacked technical information about these cams. Your's is what's called a #8 version, the same as all 7 of mine. Apparently gone forever are the original #3 cams which were legendary for their performance, but the #8 is still the next best thing!

http://chucklohr.com/808/

I'll vouch for the 808-style cameras. I have three and each cost roughly $12 (my latest was free).:D I have an idea to incorporate it into my PP. I'll just have to make sure it's upright when I'm recording.

There are also cheap glasses-style cameras with clear lenses and the camera on the glasses bridge. Total POV camera but you won't be able to zoom.

Check out meritline.com.

I'll vouch for the 808-style cameras. I have three and each cost roughly $12 (my latest was free).:D I have an idea to incorporate it into my PP. I'll just have to make sure it's upright when I'm recording.

There are also cheap glasses-style cameras with clear lenses and the camera on the glasses bridge. Total POV camera but you won't be able to zoom.

Check out meritline.com.

The glasses are horrible, I wouldn't recommend the cheap ones. I've got three dead/crippled ones. Video was poor, and the lens angle points up, way too much, maybe made for kids, or really short people. Was hoping I could use them while walking my dog. He's too active for me to work a camera. Also wanted to get some video of the helicopter, since I'd be continuously facing it. Bought a $50 pair, video is still poor, but least it still functions. Still don't like the camera angle either.

I've got a nice mount, which is buried someplace. It was for a bicycle, had a little piece that screws into the bottom of any camera that takes a tripod. Then you can slide the camera into the mount, locks in place, releases easy to take pictures else where. Know it would be perfect for the detector, without voiding the warranty.

There are a lot of fairly cheap cameras, with small screens, pretty rugged, intended for the kids. Might look into something in that area...

Thanks guys, I might try to incorporate a couple different camera styles. I am thinking of making hybrid videos. Potentially using one style of attached camera on the detector for when I am locating finds and showing the signals pre-dig. Then using a little higher end camera to set up on a mount to show the dig and reveal of the deep coins.

Thanks again for all the idea's, I may go with the little key chain style mounted on my detector and the Panasonic for my digs and reveal.

Greg

I use

the panasonic ZS6 ,i love the camera 12 mega pix,with macro,and comes with the cp conection cable,the picks are great,here is a few,one far away tornado over the ocean in maryland,2nd gold ring close up that i just found land hunting This is a camera,you can shoot some short video's,no mounting bracket,keep in mind video's draw hunter's to your hunting ground's so be discreet,Earl

Attachments

• 20110915_1.JPG
    20110915_1.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 589
  • 20120127_1.JPG
    20120127_1.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 574
the panasonic ZS6 ,i love the camera 12 mega pix,with macro,and comes with the cp conection cable,the picks are great,here is a few,one far away tornado over the ocean in maryland,2nd gold ring close up that i just found land hunting This is a camera,you can shoot some short video's,no mounting bracket,keep in mind video's draw hunter's to your hunting ground's so be discreet,Earl

Thanks for the tips Earl. I will not disclose locations, but just my digs and the sounds the detector gives off. Kind of a tutorial/comparison for those without hunting partners to compare signals with.

Greg

Now that is the coolest video sunglasses i've seen..... I'm saving that link.:goodpost:

Joe

Looks like the same style as my three failed ones. Mine could have been knock-offs, but the same price and specs. 320x240 resolution, is about as low as you can get too. Neat toy, but don't expect much.

Looks like the same style as my three failed ones. Mine could have been knock-offs, but the same price and specs. 320x240 resolution, is about as low as you can get too. Neat toy, but don't expect much.
I went back and looked at the resolution...... your right, it's too low

I've got those 808 cameras on two RC Helicopters. Work okay, video is fair.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVWLlgsP3Sg

Might not be the best choice for out in the sun though, really hard to see the lights. I turn them on, before taking them outside. Battery lasts about an hour. It's fixed focus, no screen, or anyway to know if what you are trying to get video, is in frame, in focus, until it's too late... These little cameras are really nice for the price, if you need something small and light. Would probably look a little further, for documenting you hunts though, you'll want something you can point in the hole, and show off your finds.

Here is some useful info for those thinking about the 808.

http://www.chucklohr.com/808/

Jeeezzz...those are some STUNNING specs on that camera. For just $300???

The only thing it didn't list on it's spec page was the actual image sensor it uses, and I'm very curious about that.

I've gotta be honest, I'm a tad leary. This literally sounds "too good to be true".

I'll have to research this a bit, but if it pans out, I think I may be looking at my next camera!

Thanks for the link, Ace!

Back
Top Bottom