Surfmaster PI pro question

Photobret

So this is a total newb question - I have never used a MD before so I have nothing to go on sound wise etc.

When I search in the water with my PI pro I get a feedback noise on my left direction sweep and silent on the right its a long low beep and it throws me off. I am in about 4 foot of water at the time. On the beach and in shallow water, say up to a foot it's silent.

Also when I'm searching knee deep with wave action it makes all kinds of sounds. I do need to get a coil stabilizer as the coil gets knocked around in the waves.

So is this normal 'chatter' that I just need to tune out. Admittedly I have about 16 hours of experience and may just be impatient.

It's been a while since I've had the PI Pro even though I'm currently looking for another one. That noise doesn't seem right to me. When I first started using the Dual Field, also a White's PI detector, I remember it being kind of "chatty" but now I don't usually notice it. The sound you are describing doesn't sound like chatter and you may want to call White's Tech Support about it. If your detector doesn't pick up targets when you are sweeping left that's a problem. Good Luck!

So it still finds targets but makes a noise like a target beep but loooong and in only one direction, when I sweep back nothing, sweep left loooong noise, back nothing. It's more distracting than anything and makes me wonder if I'm missing targets. I will ask Whites about it too. Settings are at P or factory recs. I must add though when it hits on a target its a solid beep but when I'm searching it makes the noise I mentioned above. So hard to explain lol!

Just a thought but probably not correct. Is by chance your coil wire loose and when you sweep one way it kinda goes over the top of the coil. Setting it off.

Check your sensivetive could be high. Is the sand black? You Might have a crack in the coil or coil conection,or sand in between the coil and the coil cover.

Thank you all! So I have pretty much taken everyones advice - I popped off the coil cover (first time since I got the unit) and low and behold, half a beach inside! I inspected for cracks or damage and nothing. Unit was in pristine condition when I got it.

I am in the process of making the wire from the coil to the control box a little neater and tighter so there is no play.

We do have black sand here but like I said no real interference in shallow water just as you get deeper. I will play with the sensitivity levels a bit more as well.

Lastly - COIL COVER yay or nay? I seen some people put marine epoxy on the bottom of their coils.

That is a normal response especially as you go deeper... the coil is picking up the salt and minerals... it can be annoying but you can ignore it as it does nothing to the performance of the PI... I ran the PI PRO for 5 years before getting a DF which does the same thing... slow your swing down a little.

pi noise

mine does the same thing some beaches r more stable then others even different batteries seem to work better then others im still learning mine pi so hope this helps

Thank you all! So I have pretty much taken everyones advice - I popped off the coil cover (first time since I got the unit) and low and behold, half a beach inside! I inspected for cracks or damage and nothing. Unit was in pristine condition when I got it.

I am in the process of making the wire from the coil to the control box a little neater and tighter so there is no play.

We do have black sand here but like I said no real interference in shallow water just as you get deeper. I will play with the sensitivity levels a bit more as well.

Lastly - COIL COVER yay or nay? I seen some people put marine epoxy on the bottom of their coils.

Yes, most definitely coil cover, just clean it out every other good hunt. I bet that's the problem. I know it happened to me. if it want to come off a couple of Velcro straps will fix that. Aloha HH

Also for coil lift. Take a plastic cloth hanger, cut it about 7 or 8 inches. Take a lighter and heat where you want the bend. Put the coil at the right position you want. Lay the hanger on the top of the shaft and the top of the coil. Heat where the bend is. Let cool, then zip tie it to the coil and the shaft. Then black duct tape just for looks and maybe hold the ties in place. I've been using them on all my machine for ever.

Also for coil lift. Take a plastic cloth hanger, cut it about 7 or 8 inches. Take a lighter and heat where you want the bend. Put the coil at the right position you want. Lay the hanger on the top of the shaft and the top of the coil. Heat where the bend is. Let cool, then zip tie it to the coil and the shaft. Then black duct tape just for looks and maybe hold the ties in place. I've been using them on all my machine for ever.

Thank you again, man I wish I had seen this before I spent money on a coil support - oh well will know for next time.

If it really bothers you, you can turn the pulse delay up a little. I would just live with it though.

So this is a total newb question - I have never used a MD before so I have nothing to go on sound wise etc.

When I search in the water with my PI pro I get a feedback noise on my left direction sweep and silent on the right its a long low beep and it throws me off. I am in about 4 foot of water at the time. On the beach and in shallow water, say up to a foot it's silent.

Also when I'm searching knee deep with wave action it makes all kinds of sounds. I do need to get a coil stabilizer as the coil gets knocked around in the waves.

So is this normal 'chatter' that I just need to tune out. Admittedly I have about 16 hours of experience and may just be impatient.

Interesting question. It's not a PI but I've had my BH300 make more noise swinging in one direction than in the other at certain times. Seems to happen when swinging N-S and not E-W. I've always assumed it's an effect associated with earth's magnetc field. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Interesting question. It's not a PI but I've had my BH300 make more noise swinging in one direction than in the other at certain times. Seems to happen when swinging N-S and not E-W. I've always assumed it's an effect associated with earth's magnetc field. Anyone else have a similar experience?

I wondered the same thing actually.

Well after everything except adjusting the sensitivity it still does it but I'm going to live with it I think. Last night it sure wasn't missing any targets, even a dime at 10" was pinging like mad.

All trash though - I was warned by Aquaman that Waikiki was filled with old iron scrap from old pipes etc - he wasn't exaggerating....

If your walking parallel to the shore and the water is deeper at one end of the swing then it is at the other end sometimes you will get a false signal. Try walking walking to and from the shore and see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom