Curse of Oak Island, Gary Drayton, opportunity for improvement.

Feel the Love, lol. I have to put my two cents in anyway.... I personally can't stand fake people. I have doubts that they are not experts at all. No i don't watch the show anymore cause like I said , fake just does not interest me. Am i an expert ?, Well NO i am not, but it is something that i truly love and when I am hunting i forget any and all things and zoom in on what i am doing, oh and the time always goes by way to fast, before you know it its dark and your on your way back to the house,but also that becomes fun when you look through your finds and clean your silver , and try to guess what that cool looking find is.

Be careful who you defend, you should look up some old posts from him or even read his blog. Especially his wording... Is he looking to help or to polish his own ego??? Here was a blog post he had, was quickly changed when people read it... You can come to your own conclusions, pay attention to the last sentence... And I quote...

""When I want to search where another beach or water hunter is already searching, I always try to trick them into moving. The more the other hunter is watching you, the easier it is to trick them into moving. Try scooping several imaginary targets on the beach or in the water, pretend that you are looking at something good before putting the fake find away. Do this several more times until you really know that you have the other person hooked. I sometimes help to sell the trick by letting out a loud YES! Walk away from the area and past the other hunter but do not dig anything, even if you get a signal. Nine times out of ten the other person will move towards the pretend hot spot, that is your cue to go directly to the good area that has now been given up by the person you just hooked. Dont be afraid to drop a few "anchor finds" such as nickels or pull tabs to keep them interested and in place until you have firmly established that you are not giving up the spot..."

I remember all to well Bill.. any respect I had for him back then went right into the outhouse so to speak... as to the small tidbits they find on the island they are probably planted.. to keep those who watch interested...

As to the OPers comments in the height of the coil over the land or sand many hunt beaches that way as they are looking for fresh drops.

Anyone involved with this show runs the risk of harming their reputation. The show is now a complete and total joke. Did you see the episode where they claimed that they finally found gold? Total baloney. I was foolish enough to watch that episode and all they found was a gold gilt button! They were hamming it up like it was an incredibly rare and historic find! Ridiculous!

Sorry, but this show does nothing but harm the reputation of ALL treasure hunters. SIX seasons of absolutely nothing found. How long can they drag out this obviously bogus show? As long as there enough fools to watch it, the show will go on and on ad infinitum.

They have a better chance of finding Bigfoot on Oak Island than a pirates treasure!

Be careful who you defend, you should look up some old posts from him or even read his blog. Especially his wording... Is he looking to help or to polish his own ego??? Here was a blog post he had, was quickly changed when people read it... You can come to your own conclusions, pay attention to the last sentence... And I quote...

""When I want to search where another beach or water hunter is already searching, I always try to trick them into moving. The more the other hunter is watching you, the easier it is to trick them into moving. Try scooping several imaginary targets on the beach or in the water, pretend that you are looking at something good before putting the fake find away. Do this several more times until you really know that you have the other person hooked. I sometimes help to sell the trick by letting out a loud YES! Walk away from the area and past the other hunter but do not dig anything, even if you get a signal. Nine times out of ten the other person will move towards the pretend hot spot, that is your cue to go directly to the good area that has now been given up by the person you just hooked. Dont be afraid to drop a few "anchor finds" such as nickels or pull tabs to keep them interested and in place until you have firmly established that you are not giving up the spot..."

Unless it’s on his blog verbatim and I can read it I have no idea if it ever even existed in the above form, so I’d be right back to assuming...and I’m not looking to dredge up dirt. The referral in this case was about the ring.
While I can imagine that there is some trickery associated with hunting for “high dollar” finds,there is some degree of deception in just about everything out there. To become a better “technical hunter” is my own personal quest...to know the machine,my surroundings and the targets I’m after. Being a coin hunter(generally “lower dollar” finds) I don’t believe in needing to trick anyone into anything...and I actually enjoy seeing others have success. This may be a WAY different case with beach hunters! But I can’t assume the guy is an eh?-hole based on what he “supposedly did” that I cannot confirm independently,because the scientist in me doesn’t allow that.

One thing I noticed is he swings the 17" coil with the shaft extended all the way out. I have had a CTX with the 17" coil, And I will tell you that would be very difficult to swing for any amount of time. Plus who would use a 17" in a forest. I have never meet Gary. but it sure looks like this show is made for TV. Face it no one has found any positive proof of any large treasure in 200 plus years.

It's a made for tv show, just like so many others, you can't even believe a word on the news in America much less thinking the tv shows are real. Yes I get offended watching people claim to be professional when they obviously don't have a clue, but I know it is just a show and that it is not real. better yet turn the dang boob tube off and go do something worthwhile!

DVR is your best friend for shows like Oak Island and even the news sometimes :laughing: For Oak Island you can fast forward past 60% of the show since it's either hot air from the "war room" or recaps/dramatizations/animations of the same things over and over :D

I know my back doctor paid Gary to teach him and his son how to detect using a CTX. Not sure how much he charges? Saw my Doc yesterday and he said they quit detecting. No joke!

:laughing::laughing:No doubt in my mind Gary is a great pirate. Maybe he is just a bad teacher. I think I'll take lesson's for Kap Larry. Do you think she would give me a good rate and show me her hot spots. Heck, maybe you should come along to. That way I could plunder her spots while you distract her with your good looks.:?::lol:

Fellas...let’s be fair here. In the more recent video he is showing where the “towel line” is and clearly states,”Things like this(shows ring in question) CAN BE FOUND along the towel line....”. Just because someone has a beef for some reason doesn’t automatically make them a liar,fraud,pretentious or any other thing. He never said in that video that it was found that day or even when it was found. He was using it as an example.
When people put up videos FOR FREE to try to help people to achieve success as well and then get &$*# on for putting it out there...even someone with a thick skin gets tired of that. The OP had a legitimate question about swing speed/height. Hopefully he got something out of all this before it turned into a bash fest. Someone simply didn’t pay enough attention to what was being presented and that the ring was an EXAMPLE...nothing more.

I originally watched his videos with the expectation of learning more about beach hunting for my trips down to Padre Island. I had seen on the forums where he was having incredible success and mastered machines to the point of publishing books that people were also talking about on forums.

The curse is a show purely for entertainment value. As the OP asked and folks on previous threads have pointed out, there are inconsistencies. It does not represent what real detectorists experience in the field or even the techniques employed by us...ie coil position, coil height, swing speed or even coil choice for the terrain and conditions. As an expert he should be consulted during production to keep it real. Sadly the real audience is not us but the general public. I swear if one more person asks me if I watch this show I'm going to lose it.

I have to respectably disagree with your observation regarding the ring and where it was "found". He pretty clearly states he was hunting for two hours on the towel line looking for stuff lost yesterday. "this was found on what I class as the towel line" "In this area". The videos were so short I could not help but see that the ring was in both as I was watching them one after another.

For me it just adds to question the legitimacy of the whole show. It is just for entertainment value only.

I have to admit .. I do like the show and honestly if it wasn't for the Metal Detecting they wouldn't as yet found much of anything and it would of died a long time ago.
I sincerely hope that they do find something and commend them and all before them for trying.

What is the main problem for me is the Title and premise of "The Curse" and One more must die. I think they could of left that part out for sure.. It worked for the first week or 2 in order to get people to tune in, but come on.

I have to say that there has to be something there or there once was as I just can't see someone going to all that trouble for a Hoax .. I mean being Drunk or Stoned on the Wacky Tabaccy and making a "funny" only lasts so long.. someone went to an awful lot of digging and trouble for it to be a hoax.. just say'n

What he said.

I didn't intend to have this turn into a "bash Gary" thread...I was just noticing that his style of "hunting" is different than I've done and have been learning...

thanks everyone for the input and correcting my impressions that he was doing it "wrong"....

As for Gary himself, I've never met him, and it's unlikely that anyone here has, but he does appear to be a stuffed shirt to a degree, at least when I see him on national TV :)

Thanks again everyone, and happy hunting

I also noticed he wasn’t overlapping his coil swings. So if it were not a hoax and he was truly hunting targets then his technique is questionable.
In my opinion it’s “Made for TV” only.
Best of luck to all the real treasure hunters!

When they have to repeatedly mention that he's a "metal detecting expert" that is a clue to the fact that he probably isn't......just my opinion.

When they have to repeatedly mention that he's a "metal detecting expert" that is a clue to the fact that he probably isn't......just my opinion.

Well, Hes gotta be at least twice as good as any of us! I've seen him on TV! He's swinging a top shelf Minelab, sporting a diamond earring, and a really cool vest! How many Bobby Dazzlers have YOU found? You gotta cool earring? You gotta cool vest? English accent? None of us can hold a Garrett Carrot to Gary Drayton!
Lord help me I wont even try!

Digger Please! You are constantly bragging about ransacking Coinstar reject trays, You think Drayton would ever stoop that low?:laughing:

I aint never seen YOU on the TeeVee! Although, I'm thinking now..."The Curse of the Coinstar Cowboys" might be a really cool Disc Channel idea?...Maybe the "Best Preacher Preachoff" kind of deal? Like "Extreme Shoplifters" or "Hoarders" Or, "Dr. Pimple Popper"..."Scrapbooker Scrapoff"? or, "Bait Shop Bullcrappers"? The parameters for a successful Real TV format are set and proven...

Who wants to send a film crew out on a crab boat on the Bering sea? In this kind of weather? How about filming the "Comfortable Climate Clad Stabbers"..? Something we can all relate to? Maybe the "Senior Citizen Survival Dumpster Divers"?. ...Maybe with all the Senior Citizen Survivalist dumpster divers go in completely naked and wallow around in a trash can and eat all sorts of stuff? Like at the Nursing home??....Yeah...I'm on to something super Huge here! :laughing:

I could go on and on! Theres just no end to the interesting things people get up to and other folks want to watch! How about filming "Scratchoff Superheros"? How about "Gas Pump Grifters"?

How about "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding"? How about nothing but facebook pictorial toiletry postings titled: "Look at the size of THIS Monster"!:laughing::laughing:

And thats Drayton...a colonic Bobby Dazzler scrubbing bubbles bunghole brush besmirching and smearing the sides and choking the pure and porcelain gullet toilet bowl of our Sport?...All for what? Fussing Teevee? Ok..I'll stick to bussing clad and ransacking the Coinstars...The whole deal is circling the bowl!

"Anal Fissure Fixers"! "My 600lb Life" Thats the next big Disc Channel reality show! The future of TeeVee! Just pull the crews off the crab boats and give them some different focal lenses!

Poor old Drayton will be back to selling treasure hunting books or pulling totlot pennies...or dumpster diving for survival, but I got the leg up there...

Last edited:
I'll pause on it for a few minutes if I come across it, then move on.....

First read about the Money Pit in a Reader's Digest condensed book years and years ago...

Intrigued me...

As far as the show being fake and the metal detectorist being less than honest, I don't know if he is/was or not.

What I do know is that there are members of this forum who encourage outright lies and deceit when dealing with land owners and splitting finds.

I would say clean your own dirty laundry before commenting on other's dirty laundry...

Just a thought.

Well, Hes gotta be at least twice as good as any of us! I've seen him on TV! He's swinging a top shelf Minelab, sporting a diamond earring, and a really cool vest! How many Bobby Dazzlers have YOU found? You gotta cool earring? You gotta cool vest? English accent? None of us can hold a Garrett Carrot to Gary Drayton!
Lord help me I wont even try!

Digger Please! You are constantly bragging about ransacking Coinstar reject trays, You think Drayton would ever stoop that low?:laughing:

I aint never seen YOU on the TeeVee! Although, I'm thinking now..."The Curse of the Coinstar Cowboys" might be a really cool Disc Channel idea?...Maybe the "Best Preacher Preachoff" kind of deal? Like "Extreme Shoplifters" or "Hoarders" Or, "Dr. Pimple Popper"..."Scrapbooker Scrapoff"? or, "Bait Shop Bullcrappers"? The parameters for a successful Real TV format are set and proven...

Who wants to send a film crew out on a crab boat on the Bering sea? In this kind of weather? How about filming the "Comfortable Climate Clad Stabbers"..? Something we can all relate to? Maybe the "Senior Citizen Survival Dumpster Divers"?. ...Maybe with all the Senior Citizen Survivalist dumpster divers go in completely naked and wallow around in a trash can and eat all sorts of stuff? Like at the Nursing home??....Yeah...I'm on to something super Huge here! :laughing:

I could go on and on! Theres just no end to the interesting things people get up to and other folks want to watch! How about filming "Scratchoff Superheros"? How about "Gas Pump Grifters"?

How about "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding"? How about nothing but facebook pictorial toiletry postings titled: "Look at the size of THIS Monster"!:laughing::laughing:

And thats Drayton...a colonic Bobby Dazzler scrubbing bubbles bunghole brush besmirching and smearing the sides and choking the pure and porcelain gullet toilet bowl of our Sport?...All for what? Fussing Teevee? Ok..I'll stick to bussing clad and ransacking the Coinstars...The whole deal is circling the bowl!

"Anal Fissure Fixers"! "My 600lb Life" Thats the next big Disc Channel reality show! The future of TeeVee! Just pull the crews off the crab boats and give them some different focal lenses!

Poor old Drayton will be back to selling treasure hunting books or pulling totlot pennies...or dumpster diving for survival, but I got the leg up there...
Hey, wait just a minute now ! Drayton might have a diamond ear ring but I've got a cheap one from Walmart. As for his "English" accent, it must be fake because he's Australian......besides I have a "NEW England" accent....does that count? And you ain't never seen me on the TV??? Hold on now...I've been on TV. Back in 1995 I was making a delivery to one of my companies accounts and working out of the back of my truck when suddenly a TV reporter stuck a microphone in my face and asked "How's The Weather" ? I gave my opinion of it and I was on the local news that night. That alone makes me almost as famous as Drayton because no one ever asked him about the weather did they?? Maybe I'll save some money to spend on a cool vest, but only wear it if Drayton autographs it for me. Well, excuse me while I turn on the "telee" for the latest installment of "My 600 Pound Life".

I just don't see the point of spending millions of dollars to MAYBE find millions of dollars in treasure! Lol!

It's similar to politicians who spend millions of their own money to be elected to a job that pays $174,000 a year! What's the point?

Back
Top Bottom