5 Musket Ball Spill and an Early 1900's Soda Bottle!

FreeBirdTim

Elite Member
Tried to post this last night, but I couldn't upload the photos.

Went back to the spot that had a CT copper and a Fugio cent. No coins today, but I did get a 5 musket ball spill! Good thing I had my pinpointer because they were the same color as the dirt. Found 3 right away and then eventually pulled out two more a couple inches deeper. They could be pistol balls, since they are around .44 caliber.

My other good find was an early 1900's soda bottle (surface find). It was almost completely covered by dirt and leaves, but I saw the bottom edge of the bottle sticking out of the ground. Very nice shape, it's embossed with "J.L. & P. Gannon, N. Providence, RI". Based on my research, it's probably from the 1897 to 1914 era. Can't believe a 100 year old bottle was just lying on the ground!

Attachments

• musket balls (2).jpg
    musket balls (2).jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 203
  • gannon 1 (2).jpg
    gannon 1 (2).jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 202
  • gannon 2 (2).jpg
    gannon 2 (2).jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 191
  • gannon 3.jpg
    gannon 3.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 226
Pistol balls will be slightly larger for .44 pistols, say .445, they need to seal the chamber and leave a lead ring once pushed into the cylinder.

Rifle .45 cal are say .440 because the need room for the patch, usually a patch of .010.

A good micrometer will tell you for sure.

Cool bottle,looks to be a round bottom...I don’t know if there’s any truth to it but I heard back then if they didn’t want you in the bar they would give you a round bottom bottle so you couldn’t set it down and would soon leave.. cleaned up great..

Thanks! It cleaned up really well. No stains inside the bottle for a change. I've been trying to find the ceramic stopper, but no luck. I did find pieces of the wire bail, but the stopper is MIA.

FreeBird, that is a NICE blobtop bottle. Yes, in the date range you said. Don't sweat that the bail is gone, it doesn't affect value or desirability.

I have found really old bottles on the surface like this and it really makes your day. Usually have to dig, dig, dig to find 'em. Beware it could be addicting. :yes:

Congrats!

I have found really old bottles on the surface like this and it really makes your day. Usually have to dig, dig, dig to find 'em. Beware it could be addicting.

It sure was a nice surprise to find such an old soda bottle in great shape. I'll keep looking for more at that spot, but it was probably a fluke find.

Back
Top Bottom