Is the Pinpointer useful?

How useful and handy is the Pinpointer? Would that be money well spent? I'd appreciate any advice you can give me.
I'd say it's VERY handy because it saves time when you dig. I'm an old timer....36 years of detecting and was always skeptical about buying one. I eventually broke down and got one and now would NEVER hunt without it. I have a White's TRX and a Garrett ProPointer and would say I like the Garrett a little better.

Cuts recovery time by at least half, I say very useful, I have the Garrett carrot, a TRX and a Profind, I prefer the Garrett. Good luck Mark.

Let's see. Grab handfuls of dirt, possibly including razorblades and glass, or worse, and waving at the coil, OR,,, pointing to the target fast with a pinpointer? I will turn around and go back home if I forget my pointer.

Let's see. Grab handfuls of dirt, possibly including razorblades and glass, or worse, and waving at the coil, OR,,, pointing to the target fast with a pinpointer? I will turn around and go back home if I forget my pointer.

Agree! I keep extra batteries in my truck too. With my trx I can pinpoint a coin before digging and know its depth up to 3" even a cheap one will be helpful. Here's an ok one for $17. You can get a better one later and use this one for a backup or loaner. Search fleabay for- Automatic Pro Pointer Pinpointer Metal Detector Waterproof ProPointer F9c6

I would not hunt without my Garrett carrot pin pointer. It keeps my plugs smaller and is right on track when I start to dig. I rarely pin point with my detectors.

I am completely new to the hobby. I have 4 hours of look time in. Probably closer to two with the other two learning. I bought a pinpointer and used it with my 15 minutes of search time yesterday and it makes a huge difference. I had a “noisy” hole yesterday where I would get the zinc and iron beep. The first two objects I pulled were a nail and a bolt followed by a penny. I didn’t have to stand back up and scan with the big detector. Just poked the pointer in the hole and found 3 items. One of my other targets was about 6 inches deep. I dug the plug off to the side a little waved the large plug in front of my big coil, nothing, then probed the sides of the hole until I got the buzz with the pinpointer. Scratched 2 inches into the edge and got a bottle cap. Made searching so much easier.

I don't go hunting without one ! That said lots of people on here think they are a waste of money and done use one at all. I suggest you get one and try it ! Buy a fairly decent one like the Garrett Carrot (orange in color) or you likely won't care for it and toss it!

Wouldn't hunt without one. You can get away without one in playgrounds or at the beach, but if you're looking for deep silvers etc then a pinpointer is highly recommended. If you're only looking for shallow coins in the grass you can pinpoint using your normal detector and then use a screwdriver to find the coin in the grass and pry it out.

Do not purchase one of the Chinese knock offs. Get a real pin pointer as the rest are junk and not worth the money. I would not want to detect the dirt without a pin pointer.

like others said, beats waving hand fulls of dirt over coil.

very helpful sizing near surface targets. You can literally draw an outline of the target with your pinpointer.

A not-so deep coin sounds off at basically the tip of the pinponter. bigger targets you can move it around and trace the size. Saves digging a lot of trash targets not buried too deep.

If I forget my pinpointer, I turn around and go back home to get it.

Thanks for the input and advice, I will be looking at ordering one real soon.:grin:
Great! My opinion is that, while a pinpointer is not mandatory, per se, it definitely makes the hunt easier. I detected without one when I was brand new to the hobby, and then again when the one I purchased broke. I missed it! (A friend, Silversmith45, has given me a new one, and I am quite excited to use one once again.) With a pinpointer, I can locate targets much more quickly & efficiently. I've read that one is also useful for coin-popping, a method I would like to try in the near future. :yes: So, I very highly recommend this tool as a worthy investment. :waytogo:

Let's see. Grab handfuls of dirt, possibly including razorblades and glass, or worse, and waving at the coil, OR,,, pointing to the target fast with a pinpointer? <snip>
Good point... I hadn't thought of it from that perspective. :thumbsup: Although, wearing gloves helps, too. :yes:

It is not necessary to have one. You can hunt without it but if you have the spare cash for one, grab one quick. Will be one of the best purchases you can make.

Back
Top Bottom