Video Recording Equipment For Detectors - Recommendations ?

Scort

Hi again folks ... was thinking about perhaps making a video archive of some of my upcoming detecting adventures in the field. Would appreciate some recommendations on equipment that is inexpensive (relatively), lightweight and can get the job done easily.

I'm concerned about holding a camera all the time and was wondering what other folks use. I was thinking it would be great if there was a unit that attached to the brim of a cap and it basically recorded whatever you were looking at. Something similar to those LED clip-ons except obviously with a lens and a mic. You get the idea. Open to suggestions. Thanks all ! :)

Apologies to All ! I guess my first attempt at a search on this subject went sideways somehow. A second attempt found several helpful posts. Not my intention to dredge up old topics you have all seen before. Would delete this, but haven't figured out how yet LOL.

I have a clamp that mounts to my shovel. nice and solid, I would recommend a camera with a remote if you can find one

I have three action POV cameras Panasonic, SONY and Contour and PivotHead glasses. My favorite is SONY with headband mount. The most comfortable is Comtour ROAM with headband mount. PivotHead is not good for field because too fragile and weak battery. Panasonic is very questionable, had some interesting functionality, but overall uncomfortable and difficult to use. So if you wanna cheap, conformable and good quality then buy Contour. Sony is better picture but more expensive and less comfortable.

Costco has a really cool new POV type camera that I am looking into, but right now I am using my ION Air Pro+. I love the thing and with it's 180* lens the shots are pretty fun, but not enough to make you sea sick.

GoPro Hero 1 or 2 still shoots awesome footage and because they are older can be had for cheap.

These are the recommendations I would go with, and all of them except the new one from Costco can be had for under $200. Even $150 I believe. The Costco one is $350, but you get some pretty sweet features and a cool looking wrist dealy thingy

I really like my GoPro.

I have the Hero3 and with the phone app I can watch and edit what I am recording. Also it is water proof so those lake and beach hunts are good too...

Wondering when someone will mount it and video an underwater beach hunt sometime. I have used it to video a few gold dredging days and watching my dredge suck up all that gravel was pretty cool.

Also it has dozens of different attachments from headbands to brackets that will mount it to almost anything. The gun barrel mount should fit most metal detectors and would give you a cool perspective.

It takes inexpensive SD cards so you can use a different one for different things.

Another option is a smart phone and rubber bands. Yup rubber bands. You can wrap them around almost anything even a wooden stick and they have really good picture/ video quality.

A friend of mine does a lot of his online training videos using nothing but an iPhone and rubber bands to mount it in different spots as he records.

Good luck

I've done videos with everything from the video glasses, to a standalone FinePix s1800 on tripod to my iPhone 6+. The iPhone seemed to do best for action showing the display readings while swinging, it is just hard to hold it and do both. The video and sound on the glasses was terrible. The Standalone was good but a pain to pack and move the tripod and setup.

I think a head or detector mounted GoPro would be nice.

an add just came up on youtube for a product called the SoloShot.

for $649 for camera,tripod and the rest of the gizmos I'm thinking about ordering it just to see how it does for metaldetecting

i must admit that i wasn't much of a gopro fan.... until i got one! my sis-in-law gave me her hero 1 and i've grown rather attached to it. and the variety of mounts available is almost endless.
if you're not too fond of the constant motion in videos made with either head mounts or shaft mounts, a less nauseating option is the gopro chest mount. i tried one last weekend while out on a little hike and it was great! really stable footage compared to someone's head in constant motion and great field of view. i'm not a hat person, but i do wear one in the sun (or rain, lol), but i personally don't want to constantly have to readjust it because of the added weight of a camera on it.
for gopro battery life, 2 1/2 to 3 hours and a 32 gig card will last a loooong time! i can kill my battery before i'll fill the card. :yes:

Pete

Back
Top Bottom