$20 Gold Coin

DirtyRob

Forum Supporter
I dropped by my local coin guy.

I go about twice a month just to see what is hot.

He got in a $20 double eagle.....gold.....!!!

After seeing 3 of these dug in that video last week, I was like no way!

So he took it out and I had it in my hand! It was hard not to hand him my credit card!

Way cool!

Gold is definitely a heart stopper!

Just curious Rob, how much of a hit would your plastic have taken for that lovely piece of coinage????

Sweet :grin: :grin: :grin: I would struggling to leave that one behind too. I've been collecting coins as long as I can remember and would love to have that in my collection :D.

According to my coin book, the double eagle is one of America's all-time favorite coin designs, and one, a 1933 Double Eagle (many of these were never issued or melted down by the mint) sold for a whopping $7,590,020!

Beautiful old coins but the premiums on them are ridiculous.

If you want a big (1.2 oz) Gold coin for a low premium get a Mexico 50 pesos. :cool:

rs1.jpg

My go to Gold coin though is a British Sovereign. Low premium and just a hair under 1/4 oz.

2014sovsrs.jpg

This might be a stupid question (I'm good for those!!), but are gold prices international? Like, is the price of gold per oz. the same in the US as it is in other countries? Or do you pay less when you buy from Mexico, or for the British Sovereign??

You did't take a pic of that double eagle gold did you? I could Google one but just wanted to see it for real. If not that's ok.

This might be a stupid question (I'm good for those!!), but are gold prices international? Like, is the price of gold per oz. the same in the US as it is in other countries? Or do you pay less when you buy from Mexico, or for the British Sovereign??

Gold price is standard worldwide, it's the premium paid over spot that makes some coins hard to swallow.

In the US coin collectors go bonkers over pre 1933 US Gold coins so the demand puts a high price tag on them.

Rob said they wanted $1350 for that one, and it contains $1250 worth of Gold.

So a $100 premium which really isn't bad for that coin it would be much higher in other areas or most probably for another customer.

Old European and Mexican Gold isn't as popular here so it goes for a small premium over spot.

Sovereigns, Ducats, Pesos, 10 and 20 Francs, Marks, Rubles etc tend to be a better buy.

Price Gold coins here: http://www.goldeneaglecoin.com/buy-gold

See what the Gold in them is actually worth here:

http://www.silverandgoldaremoney.com/equivalents

I own a few $20's and some $10's. Beautiful coins and yes had to save up a while to get them. Price didn't scare me cause IMO it was worth every penny.

You did't take a pic of that double eagle gold did you? I could Google one but just wanted to see it for real. If not that's ok.

Nope...didn't think about it at the time. I guess he just surprised me by handing it to me. It won't last too much longer over at his shop.

I've seem lots of smaller $1 gold coins there but nothing this big.

Just really cool to see and have in my hand after that video from last week from Ron in California.

Nope...didn't think about it at the time. I guess he just surprised me by handing it to me. It won't last too much longer over at his shop.

I've seem lots of smaller $1 gold coins there but nothing this big.

Just really cool to see and have in my hand after that video from last week from Ron in California.

I'll do a search on Ron in California to see if I can find that video.

Back
Top Bottom