Still barely squeaking by and CTX question

Goat88

Elite Member
Been out about 4 hrs total, two hunts, between this week and last. After some successful curb stripping two weeks ago I decided to try it again last week. Couple hours put in and I had the silver ring. This week I was planning on hitting the curbs again but was only able to get out for another two hrs. I decided to stay close and detected a spot that was my first honey hole with the CTX. This place hasnt given up silver in years but within minutes I had the butterfly and was absolutely surprised to find a silver dime still hiding out there. Question for you CTX users; Anyone ever mess with the sensitivity after locating a definite silver but before digging. I usually run at 24 or 25 sensitivity when able. This dime was about 7in and gave a definite signal with a good squeak. I decided to turn the sensitivity down until the detector could not see it. At 10 it could not see the dime but at 15 and above there was almost no change in the signal. Seems like there would be a bigger difference between a sensitivity as low as 15 and all the way up to 30. Anyone else try this before? Finally have a few silver under the belt. Good luck to you all and thanks.

Last edited:
A

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_0.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 250
Nice finds! I never run my ctx in manual sensitivity I’ve always used auto+3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read somewhere that auto is not as good as going manual but have never tried auto. Must work fine because you seem to do well.

Auto plus 3 sensitivty works. But not as deep vs manual. Manual Sens of 26 is where CTX seems gets a bump for depth vs lower manual sensitivity setting if 25.
Etrac seems works like this too.

Emi the auto plus 3 sens CTX May run quieter. In trashier sites could be better than higher manual sensitivity. One thing about higher manual sensitivty I have noticed. Shallower finds 1-4” deep, seems can me missed easier running higher manual sensitivty vs running auto plus 3 sensitivity.

To reach 9.5” plus depth say on silver dime. Auto plus 3 not recommended imo.
Higher manual sensitivty will make CTX false more on iron. But detector will alert on deeper nonferrous.
Good trained ear one will get use to and can dentify iron though.

I was hunting with a gent some time ago (member here). This detecting scenario was actually videoed and posted here. A site with a lot of iron. Gent was using 6” coil on CTX. On a Xp Deus located target his CTX wouldn’t detect. Now the video doesn’t show what he did. He actually quickly toggled to manual sensitivty then the CTX would give signal.

Based on my experiences.
A manual sensitivity setting of 22 is odds on favorite deeper (slightly) than auto plus 3 sens setting even if the CTX is tracking at say 27 sens In the window.
If detecting while running auto plus 3 is hiccuping on a spot swept, going to higher manual sensitivity may indeed allow the suspect area to give a more fuller tonal sound. This hiccuping I am referring to can be duplicated. By dropping a dime on clean ground. Keep sweeping and progresssively raising coil. Eventually you’ll hear the detector make this certain noise as dimeis swept. ID given on dime will get funky too. One of the possible tell tale signs of deeper (fringe) detectable targets- driven by detector sensitivty settings, other settings like fast recovery on, detect mode selected, ground mineralization levels, and coil size used.

Hope this helps.

Now remember in real high mineral soil, a lower manual sensitivty like 18 approx may be all that can be utilized. Could even be lower.

One last thing. Don’t fall into this trap. Just because you or a person finds things in a site, even good things like silver. This doesn’t necessarily mean you/they have detector setup the best or there are no other ways to set detector up to find more things. More masked and or deeper.

Oh yeah I fell into this trap. The reason I am mentioning this. Internet forums are great. Don’t get too much tunnel vision though.

Last edited:
You just said something in your post Goat that I’ve found to be true over and over again. IF the “running number” on the right(in Auto) is LESS than 16-18,Manual Sensitivity MIGHT find me something I otherwise would’ve missed,confirmed by switching in and out of both Auto and Manual. IF the “running number” is 20 and above,at NO point in any of the few tests I’ve done has a coin been seen in Manual that could not be seen in Auto+3. The HUGE issue with manual sensitivity in the trashy environments in which I hunt is...the targets seen by the edges of the coil start coming into play with audio processing. IN CERTAIN SOIL....ground balancing and manual sensitivity can be fine tuned for optimization,but overall....and to give me the best bang for my energy and time...Auto+3. YMMV...
Hey! Nice finds!;)

In private yards, curb strips I will use auto to start out with... But in public parks, schools etc. I use manual. Manual 20 and above gets me about 2-3” deeper at least in my ground using the stock coil. It may be just me but it seems like manual separates better too but I’m not sure. Great finds Goat!

Everywhere I hunt manual just pops and high tone falses way to much for my liking and it’s highly likely I may pass a signal thinking it’s just falsing. I hunt high emi houses next to power lines. Auto +3 just runs so smooth and 99% of the places I hunt targets are rarely deeper than 7”. In my area my ctx in auto+3 runs at around 22

Nice finds!

I run manual as high as the site will allow. Usually around 25-26. I do get some falsing but I can tell the difference pretty easily most of the time.

In my dirt most good targets are in the 4-7” range but I occasionally get some at 8”+. Especially at spots where the dirt has been turned.

Last edited:
Nice Silva Goat.

Here’s a very good video showing CTX in action on some deeper stuff.
I like this gent’s videos.
Seems he has disappeared though a few months ago.
I use to enjoy his post on metal detecting Forums.
Think he lives and detects in Canada. Does find American coins though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ziVMPUkcxpA

Some very nice finds Jordan, Congrats! I think you got excellent answers from David, Vic, Kevin and Dewayne. At least I got a better understanding. Trapper

Auto plus 3 sensitivty works. But not as deep vs manual. Manual Sens of 26 is where CTX seems gets a bump for depth vs lower manual sensitivity setting if 25.
Etrac seems works like this too.

Emi the auto plus 3 sens CTX May run quieter. In trashier sites could be better than higher manual sensitivity. One thing about higher manual sensitivty I have noticed. Shallower finds 1-4” deep, seems can me missed easier running higher manual sensitivty vs running auto plus 3 sensitivity.

To reach 9.5” plus depth say on silver dime. Auto plus 3 not recommended imo.
Higher manual sensitivty will make CTX false more on iron. But detector will alert on deeper nonferrous.
Good trained ear one will get use to and can dentify iron though.

I was hunting with a gent some time ago (member here). This detecting scenario was actually videoed and posted here. A site with a lot of iron. Gent was using 6” coil on CTX. On a Xp Deus located target his CTX wouldn’t detect. Now the video doesn’t show what he did. He actually quickly toggled to manual sensitivty then the CTX would give signal.

Based on my experiences.
A manual sensitivity setting of 22 is odds on favorite deeper (slightly) than auto plus 3 sens setting even if the CTX is tracking at say 27 sens In the window.
If detecting while running auto plus 3 is hiccuping on a spot swept, going to higher manual sensitivity may indeed allow the suspect area to give a more fuller tonal sound. This hiccuping I am referring to can be duplicated. By dropping a dime on clean ground. Keep sweeping and progresssively raising coil. Eventually you’ll hear the detector make this certain noise as dimeis swept. ID given on dime will get funky too. One of the possible tell tale signs of deeper (fringe) detectable targets- driven by detector sensitivty settings, other settings like fast recovery on, detect mode selected, ground mineralization levels, and coil size used.

Hope this helps.

Now remember in real high mineral soil, a lower manual sensitivty like 18 approx may be all that can be utilized. Could even be lower.

One last thing. Don’t fall into this trap. Just because you or a person finds things in a site, even good things like silver. This doesn’t necessarily mean you/they have detector setup the best or there are no other ways to set detector up to find more things. More masked and or deeper.

Oh yeah I fell into this trap. The reason I am mentioning this. Internet forums are great. Don’t get too much tunnel vision though.

You just said something in your post Goat that I’ve found to be true over and over again. IF the “running number” on the right(in Auto) is LESS than 16-18,Manual Sensitivity MIGHT find me something I otherwise would’ve missed,confirmed by switching in and out of both Auto and Manual. IF the “running number” is 20 and above,at NO point in any of the few tests I’ve done has a coin been seen in Manual that could not be seen in Auto+3. The HUGE issue with manual sensitivity in the trashy environments in which I hunt is...the targets seen by the edges of the coil start coming into play with audio processing. IN CERTAIN SOIL....ground balancing and manual sensitivity can be fine tuned for optimization,but overall....and to give me the best bang for my energy and time...Auto+3. YMMV...
Hey! Nice finds!;)

In private yards, curb strips I will use auto to start out with... But in public parks, schools etc. I use manual. Manual 20 and above gets me about 2-3” deeper at least in my ground using the stock coil. It may be just me but it seems like manual separates better too but I’m not sure. Great finds Goat!

Everywhere I hunt manual just pops and high tone falses way to much for my liking and it’s highly likely I may pass a signal thinking it’s just falsing. I hunt high emi houses next to power lines. Auto +3 just runs so smooth and 99% of the places I hunt targets are rarely deeper than 7”. In my area my ctx in auto+3 runs at around 22

Nice finds!

I run manual as high as the site will allow. Usually around 25-26. I do get some falsing but I can tell the difference pretty easily most of the time.

In my dirt most good targets are in the 4-7” range but I occasionally get some at 8”+. Especially at spots where the dirt has been turned.

Cool silva!

Nice Silva Goat.

Here’s a very good video showing CTX in action on some deeper stuff.
I like this gent’s videos.
Seems he has disappeared though a few months ago.
I use to enjoy his post on metal detecting Forums.
Think he lives and detects in Canada. Does find American coins though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ziVMPUkcxpA

Some very nice finds Jordan, Congrats! I think you got excellent answers from David, Vic, Kevin and Dewayne. At least I got a better understanding. Trapper

Very cool finds!

Thanks for the replies everyone. Time to try out auto then. To be honest I have not fooled around with the setting too much on my machine.

+1 on this post.

REALLY good information. For the record I rarely come off Auto +3. Most of the time I play with that setting ONLY if EMI is too much to handle (rare).

I find changing programs or adjusting the screen mask (double tap the "detecting" button) gives me enough of a "quick" comparison between depths or signal tone. I am always concerned with messing around with manual ses when I am focused on hunting and don't want to be static on a curbstrip for too long. It attracts too much attention.

My 2 cents

Back
Top Bottom