hunting numerous sites...?

007tallguy

Elite Member
just a general question for the masses regarding hunting procedures when you have multiple places to search:
do you:
A- hit one area and pound the snot out of it until you're done?
or
B- do a little bit of one area then hit another place the next time out and go back and forth like that until you've finished everything to your satisfaction?

i've got numerous places on the go right now and i kinda tend to move around rather than concentrate all of my efforts on one place. i was granted permission for several different properties and i think making random but fairly regular appearances at the various spots kinda helps to keep my foot in the door. ;)
your thoughts or methods?

Pete

just a general question for the masses regarding hunting procedures when you have multiple places to search:
do you:
A- hit one area and pound the snot out of it until you're done?
or
B- do a little bit of one area then hit another place the next time out and go back and forth like that until you've finished everything to your satisfaction?

i've got numerous places on the go right now and i kinda tend to move around rather than concentrate all of my efforts on one place. i was granted permission for several different properties and i think making random but fairly regular appearances at the various spots kinda helps to keep my foot in the door. ;)
your thoughts or methods?

Pete

I move around and hit them a little at a time. I kind of have some weird need to get a change of scenery, so one day I'll go here, the next I'll go try the other one, and maybe hit 5 or 6 different spots in a week, or maybe go to 2 or 3 in one day if I'm not finding anything or am bored, or if it's too dry at one, or whatever. I kind of like doing that also so I can keep tabs on how the grass does where I've hunted before, it's pretty nice when I go back a week later and can't find the spots where I've gotten out a target.

Of course the answer to this is - it depends.
Last year I was hitting a 30' x 30' area city lot where an old house once stood.
I pulled at least one keeper every day, so I kept going back.
Twenty minutes every morning for two weeks straight and I pulled like 3 indians, several wheats, and old RR tag, barber dime, etc.

For me it is important to remember that places like parks and woods will always be available, but tearouts and house teardowns have to be hit when available.

Hope this helps:D

I know there are other detectorists in my town. So if it's a place that others are likely to hunt, or if it's beyond walking/biking distance of my house, I try to be as thorough as I can and get as much of the place hunted as possible. If it's a place near my house where I can hunt often I am not as careful about being thorough because I know if I miss anything I'll probably get it next time.

I move around and hit them a little at a time. I kind of have some weird need to get a change of scenery, so one day I'll go here, the next I'll go try the other one, and maybe hit 5 or 6 different spots in a week, or maybe go to 2 or 3 in one day if I'm not finding anything or am bored, or if it's too dry at one, or whatever. I kind of like doing that also so I can keep tabs on how the grass does where I've hunted before, it's pretty nice when I go back a week later and can't find the spots where I've gotten out a target.

right on, thanks!
and you mention about how the grass is doing, i do that too as well as keep an eye out for animal damage resulting from my own digging. the raccoon's can smell freshly dug ground and they don't pass up on places that are easier for them to dig, lol.

I know there are other detectorists in my town. So if it's a place that others are likely to hunt, or if it's beyond walking/biking distance of my house, I try to be as thorough as I can and get as much of the place hunted as possible. If it's a place near my house where I can hunt often I am not as careful about being thorough because I know if I miss anything I'll probably get it next time.

ok, thanks Gabby. :yes:
i find that if i'm making a longer drive to a particular property, it's going to be a longer hunt for sure, lol.
the places i have lined up right now are privately owned for the most part and it's exclusive permission, so competition from other detectorists isn't an issue at all. :D

right on, thanks!
and you mention about how the grass is doing, i do that too as well as keep an eye out for animal damage resulting from my own digging. the raccoon's can smell freshly dug ground and they don't pass up on places that are easier for them to dig, lol.

:lol: Yes, raccoons are lazy little boogers, and I can tell you, they like eating catfood better than they do hunting for whatever it is they're supposed to be eating!

Of course the answer to this is - it depends.
Last year I was hitting a 30' x 30' area city lot where an old house once stood.
I pulled at least one keeper every day, so I kept going back.
Twenty minutes every morning for two weeks straight and I pulled like 3 indians, several wheats, and old RR tag, barber dime, etc.

For me it is important to remember that places like parks and woods will always be available, but tearouts and house teardowns have to be hit when available.

Hope this helps:D

good points! i've got a few places like that that i've been searching off and on for close to 5 years and still finding things there, LOL. even my own yard, haha!
none of them ever seem to be totally hunted out. :D

If im finding items worth keeping, Ill stick around. If im two hours in and dug my 100th pull tab, Ill pack up and go somewhere else.

My buddy and I, occasionaly I hunt with another person because my wife and sister strongly urge it but will allways do most hunts myself, found a park and it had a bunch of clad and silver potential. We hunted an hour and pulled many clad. We didn't return until spring and saw 3 other mder's at it. Also signs of others like sloppy plugs. The " cladaplenty " that we needed so he can work on his game(he's a Noob and is learning his coin hits) was pounded, cleaned or cherry picked, whatever, the place had now become one of the usual. A good place to get a little exercise.
Hit em while you can or someone certainly will.
I'm still learning at 3 years. My friend is in his first 6 months. No place is every truly --- " Hunted out ". " Cherry picked " ya dern right.

I pound the snot out of each new site and then move on , keeping all those hunted hard sites in mind to go back to when I either run out of new sites or just need to change up a little. If you dont hit each site as hard as you can then someone else can move in there and hunt it hard for you. Get it while the gettins good.

When I find a spot that is producing well I hunt it over and over and over until I have covered every square inch before moving on.

When I can't find a new spot, I go back to one of my old good spots to see if I can squeeze any more out of it.

Back
Top Bottom