Few finds at City Park as crazy lady tries to run me off

Estima8tor

Elite Member
A few of weeks ago I didn't have any good permissions to hunt so I decided to hit one of the local city parks. Most of the parks around here were once farm land & older home sites so you can find anything from colonial artifacts to modern clad and everything in between.

The 1907 map shows two home sites that used to sit right next to the park so when I got there I went right to that section of the park. I started swinging and there were high tones everywhere. My first two targets were a brass reins guide and D-buckle from a horse harness, it's been a couple of years since I found a reins guide so I was pretty happy about that.

Then comes the crazy old lady out of a house next to the park. She comes walking over really fast wagging her finger at me telling me I'm not supposed to be detecting in the park and that I needed to leave right away. I took my headphones off and nicely explained to her that I dig small neat plugs and that you won't even be able to tell I was there after I leave. I went back to detecting and after some more complaining she finally went home. I figured she may go call the police and I thought about leaving but the ground was soft and the weather was perfect so I decided to stay regardless.

The cops never showed up and I was able to pull a crusty 1896 Indian, three early wheats, a 1952 Canadian penny and a 1942 GW.

I also found a couple of buttons - a WWI US Great Seal military uniform button backmarked - R. LIEBMANN MFG. CO.-NEWARK NJ - dated 1914 to 1918. A Norfolk & Western railroad button from the 1930's. N&W was the largest railroad company in the South during the Civil War and they stopped operating at this site in the 1940's. On the way back to my truck I found an old harmonica reed to add to my collection.

I only detected a small area of that park and I know there are a lot more good targets left but I have to figure out a way to deal with the crazy lady before I go back.....

Attachments

• IMG_20191006_131623793 (5).jpg
    IMG_20191006_131623793 (5).jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 717
  • IMG_20191006_131623793 (3).jpg
    IMG_20191006_131623793 (3).jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 714
  • IMG_20191006_131623793 (4).jpg
    IMG_20191006_131623793 (4).jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 656
  • US Great Seal Uniform Button.   R. LIEBMANN MFG. CO.-NEWARK NJ.jpg
    US Great Seal Uniform Button. R. LIEBMANN MFG. CO.-NEWARK NJ.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 660
  • US Great Seal Uniform Button. - Back -  R. LIEBMANN MFG. CO.-NEWARK NJ.jpg
    US Great Seal Uniform Button. - Back - R. LIEBMANN MFG. CO.-NEWARK NJ.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 660
Wow!!! I can’t believe all that was found at a park and crazier that there were high tones everywhere!! Parks here your lucky to get a foil signal lol. Sweet finds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some great finds you got there. You gotta go back. Since it is close to Halloween , I would dress up as a crazy old lady and hunt it ! Put some wild makeup on , a rag-tag skirt , the whole 9 yards. Look homeless. Act even crazier if she comes out ! GL...

These people either stare out their windows all day waiting for the rapture or they have small loud “punting” dogs that do it for them. You know why I call them punting dogs?

Wow!!! I can’t believe all that was found at a park and crazier that there were high tones everywhere!! Parks here your lucky to get a foil signal lol. Sweet finds

I couldn't believe it either, that's why I stayed. I rarely hunt parks because most have been hunted hard. There's a huge field behind the playground and basketball courts that apparently no one had bothered to detect - except me. :D

Wow. Nice hunting on a great public spot.

Thank you!

Some great finds you got there. You gotta go back. Since it is close to Halloween , I would dress up as a crazy old lady and hunt it ! Put some wild makeup on , a rag-tag skirt , the whole 9 yards. Look homeless. Act even crazier if she comes out ! GL...

lol, that's not a bad idea. I'm a big guy at 6'2" but that old lady scared me, she looked like the witch from Wizard of Oz....wagging her wrinkly finger in my face....

These people either stare out their windows all day waiting for the rapture or they have small loud “punting” dogs that do it for them. You know why I call them punting dogs?

It only took her about ten minutes to spot me but fortunately she didn't have any ankle biters on a leash with her.

You did the right thing with the old biddy. Be calm , courteous and firm...then ignore her. Even if she "calls the cops", it's just an opportunity to meet the beat cop and get them on your side. That site sounds too good to give up for some busybody biddy.

You did the right thing with the old biddy. Be calm , courteous and firm...then ignore her. Even if she "calls the cops", it's just an opportunity to meet the beat cop and get them on your side. That site sounds too good to give up for some busybody biddy.

Yeah, that's the best way to deal with people like her. Politely ignore....

Normally after an encounter like that I would leave and come back another time but I just couldn't break away from all of those high tones.

Look at it this way - that crazy lady probably chased away a lot of detectorists and good finds were left for you to find.

Look at it this way - that crazy lady probably chased away a lot of detectorists and good finds were left for you to find.

Yup, I guess I should be thankful, lol.
I'm gonna wait for a really cold day and go back and finish the job. Hopefully the cold will keep her contained in the house.

Nice finds, and way to stick to it! Go back and get more, and as it is getting close to Halloween, just put on some sort of weird costume and I bet Nosie Nellie won't bother you at all!

... but I have to figure out a way to deal with the crazy lady .....

Based on your story, as you probably surmise: The police could probably have cared less. They are/were just responding to a call out. And had to please this lookie-lou self-appointed monitor lady.

And the solution for this, IMHO, is to hunt in the middle of the night when she's asleep. So peaceful. So serene :)

Based on your story, as you probably surmise: The police could probably have cared less. They are/were just responding to a call out. And had to please this lookie-lou self-appointed monitor lady.

And the solution for this, IMHO, is to hunt in the middle of the night when she's asleep. So peaceful. So serene :)

She's probably pulling all nighters with her night vision goggles !

I may just have to try a night hunt there. She's probably asleep by 9:00

She's probably pulling all nighters with her night vision goggles !

After my encounter with her that wouldn't surprise me at all.

Who gives a RatsAss about a Crazy old Lady.. You had me at "The Ground was Soft" :yes:

Oh, I'm definitely going back despite the old hag...

Yes. Do that one plz

Back
Top Bottom