Introduction/ Canway detector

Dghardyjr

I'm David and was asked to post an introduction. So here we go

I'm from and live in South Carolina and will be going to school for marine surveyor. I just bought a Canway Amazon special metal detector, and it is arriving today. On the way to pick it up soon. I was a bit overwhelmed by the amount of newer entry metal detectors, but I ended up with the Canway. Any thoughts on it?

Welcome, from WC Arkansas! The Canway detector will work (minimal price point for a detector), at least it's digital and has some decent features. Your biggest issue is that this hobby is very addictive to most outdoors people. That being said, I'm sure we'll be seeing you post a thread in the "Advice on Detector Purchase" forum before long....lol. BTW, get yourself a pin-pointer too. It'll help you with your digs. HH!

Welcome from Winnsboro, South Carolina !!!!

Never heard of that detector, but just checked Amazon and 4.3 out of 5 stars customer rating is not bad, but I can't personally vouch it is worth getting, it might have been better getting recommendations from this forum first before buying anything.

Found a youtube on it -

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

Last edited:
welcome to forum i think its a waste of money better off with a nox i saw a video on you tube machine looks like china ace knock off sorry just being honest

David, it appears to be a Chinese knockoff of an ACE. Probably not much depth, if any. I don't know, tell us when you get it. To give this hobby a chance to be something you can truly enjoy, you made need to upgrade (soon). It could be the difference between loving the hobby or leaving it. Also, the sponsors (shown in the upper right hand corner of this page) are here to help you get the best bang for the buck. Call them for a good deal AND advice, don't just go out and order one with a ton of stuff, you'll pay too much! :my2cents:

Welcome to the forum from Boston.

Add me to the list of those who have never heard of that detector brand, and I’ve been in the hobby for over 35 years. Doesn’t mean your machine won’t find metal or be competitive with others in the same price range. I do wonder how an owner of one of these machines gets a repair if needed if it’s a Chinese knock-off. Probably no dealers or authorized service centers in the U.S. I also am curious how much research you did on various machines in your price range before deciding on this machine. Hope you have good luck with it and you’ll find some decent stuff to report on here.

BTW David, we're not trying to be a buzz kill here. We want you to be happy and enjoy the hobby. You shouldn't have to spend much more to get a MUCH better machine. Buyers remorse "vacuums".....

Hey Dave,
Welcome from South Shore, MA. Based on what the folks on this forum are stating about your choice for a detector, NO they aren't being bad about it. Like Mediccheif said,
we want you to be happy and enjoy the hobby.
If you can send this detector back, ( I would based on all the guys responses), and then come back with a question about a machine for what you can afford, You'll have a good detector and more than likely more GOOD finds.
Good luck.
Keep us posted.

fmdfwelcome.gif
... from the cold and snowy state of Minnesota, David!
lotsasnow.gif
trucksnow.gif
We're glad that you have joined us.
yes.gif
Happy hunting!
mds.gif

So I returned the Canway. Yall were right, I was not a fan of it.

Bought a Fisher f22 and have been finding nothing but trash in the parks, and getting many false reading on the beach I go to.

It's hard to find totally dry sand.

Looking at a beach specific MD as that is currently my main location to MD.

I would like to look at parks, but many of the parks I went to were SUPER trashy.

Hi David,

You did the right thing returning the chinese junk and getting a better detector.

Parks are trashy!

Parks can be difficult for experienced detectorists also. So don't let that bum you out.

Unless you get way out in the boonies away from modern trash you will be digging about 80-90% trash to good targets.

The best solution is to hunt and dig and learn. Later decide what type of hunting you like best and get a detector for that purpose. You can get a lot of advice on this forum on what would be best. (and it won't be a chinese knockoff.)

If fairness to you as a newbie, you had know way of knowing about chinese knockoffs.

Back
Top Bottom