Detecting 1930's House and Very Puzzled

Garbagepicker

I'm very puzzled by this, I'm detecting a house built in the 1930's but have found nothing but clad, ( About $5.00 worth. ) from the 70's and 80's with the exception of one 1959 nickel and some junk jewelry.
The soil is sandy but supports lawn growth and can be dug with your fingers once you cut the sod.
I have located what was apparently a dump in the back yard just full of trash and old rusted iron.
I started out with no disc then went to disc out iron only because the area is just packed full of nails, screws and just junk.
I went to a 4" coil to try and separate some of the junk out.
I do encounter a lot of mixed signals !
I'm still searching this site but I'm very puzzled by the lack of any older coins on this site. Not even a wheatie.
I don't think it's been detected before.
I spoke with the neighbor and this site has not been backfilled or resurfaced.
Could the older stuff have sunk out of range, but that doesn't make sense because I'm finding lots of old trash in range.
I've never had this happen to me before and always pull some silver or at least some wheaties off a site like this but the soil was not so sandy or full iron and trash as this.
Any thoughts on a different approach and dealing with a lot of mixed signals ?
I get silver signals but end up finding iron.
Is the old stuff below all the trash and being masked by iron?
Any thoughts on what to do in this situation are appreciated.

Hunt with 0 discrimination (When you discriminate you may be missing masked signals.)
Keep your threshold and sensitivity as high as you can stand
Use the smallest DD coil that you have
Dig every iffy signal that is consistent in at least 1 direction
When in doubt, dig it

What type of machine are you using and how much experience do you have with it?
You just never know, some old houses have nothing and some are loaded.
Depends who lived there and how frugal they were.

Hunt with 0 discrimination (When you discriminate you may be missing masked signals.)
Keep your threshold and sensitivity as high as you can stand
Use the smallest DD coil that you have
Dig every iffy signal that is consistent in at least 1 direction
When in doubt, dig it

Thanks for your reply. I've been getting many iffy and jumpy one direction signals.
It's silver one second and iron the next.
There is just so much iron all over here and I mean a lot!
I'm thinking the good stuff is mixed in with the iron or below it and the the clad I'm getting is on the top layer.
Thanks again for your reply because this makes sense and I know something has to be here.
I've never hunted a site with such a concentration of iron trash just littered full of nails, nuts, bolts, washers and screws, almost as is someone spread them like grass seed.
It's really that bad !!! :shock:

What type of machine are you using and how much experience do you have with it?
You just never know, some old houses have nothing and some are loaded.
Depends who lived there and how frugal they were.

I run lower end machines. Pioneer 505 and a Discovery 2200.

I'm not willing to spend a $ 1000.00 and my machines are very high Tech for me and perform well for me compared to the machines from the 70's that I started out with.
If you never owned the junk from the 70's, you just wouldn't know what I'm talking about ! :) :laughing:

I don't buy any machine that can't pay for itself quickly.
I appreciate your reply.
I'm going to keep hunting this dump and I think SeaninNH has a good idea and I'm going to take his approach, weather allowing.
Thanks again for your reply

Sean and Mat pretty much covered it. Sometimes it's just not there. Keep at it

I know coins are here amongst the litter of iron and I'm not giving up !
There's coins here and I know it.
I'm going to have to dig a lot of junk, but I'm thinking the good stuff is mixed in with the iron or below it and that's why I'm picking up the clads close to the surface and finding them but the good stuff is being masked by the iron above it.
I'm going to find the good stuff and I don't give up! :lol:

Like your avatar... we have a couple Beagles

The reason you pay a thousand bucks or more for the higher end machines is to get the ability to separate the masked good targets from the Iron and be able to see the good targets. I'm not trying to be a high end snob but Clint said it best... "A man's GOT to know his limitations" or in this case his MACHINE'S limitations. You are really asking a lot out of either of those machines. It's one thing to expect them to find old coins, but in amongst trash? I have an ACE250, a Sovereign Elite, and an E-Trac. The Sov does a better job of picking targets out of trash than the ACE250, but not as good as the E-Trac. That E-Trac is a monster at pulling masked targets out of an Iron minefield.

In your case, with the machines you have (and they are good ones for their price range) you'll need to meet the following conditions:

There has to be coins in the ground for you to find
They have to be shallow enough for YOUR machines to see them
They can't be masked by Iron or junk targets
If you are sure that there has to be coins in your search area, then do as your signature says and "Dig it all". Run in all metal mode with as much sensitivity as your machine can stand and dig absolutely EVERY target. After you have pulled up the trash, swing back over the hole and see if there's anything else in the hole or nearby ground... I am doing just that at a Ghost Town site I am working right now, and let me tell you, I have dug up a junkyard full of old rusty Iron. But we've pulled up some really good old targets too!

The reason you pay a thousand bucks or more for the higher end machines is to get the ability to separate the masked good targets from the Iron and be able to see the good targets. I'm not trying to be a high end snob but Clint said it best... "A man's GOT to know his limitations" or in this case his MACHINE'S limitations. You are really asking a lot out of either of those machines. It's one thing to expect them to find old coins, but in amongst trash? I have an ACE250, a Sovereign Elite, and an E-Trac. The Sov does a better job of picking targets out of trash than the ACE250, but not as good as the E-Trac. That E-Trac is a monster at pulling masked targets out of an Iron minefield.

In your case, with the machines you have (and they are good ones for their price range) you'll need to meet the following conditions:

If you are sure that there has to be coins in your search area, then do as your signature says and "Dig it all". Run in all metal mode with as much sensitivity as your machine can stand and dig absolutely EVERY target. After you have pulled up the trash, swing back over the hole and see if there's anything else in the hole or nearby ground... I am doing just that at a Ghost Town site I am working right now, and let me tell you, I have dug up a junkyard full of old rusty Iron. But we've pulled up some really good old targets too!

x2

Umm, yeah, OK.
My machines do just fine and have paid for themselves.
You're telling me your machines can see through the iron and steel and will detect only the good stuff beneath it ?
I don't believe that what so ever !

Yes, I will admit that I'm pushing my machines to the limit in this iron garbage pit, so I'm going to have to work a little harder and take it slow.

<<<Edited by Admin>>>

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice reply, asking for people's thoughts and then calling them a liar when they try to lend a helping hand with some great advice! Way to go man! :roll:
Not much point for me to try answering your question....

Nice reply, asking for people's thoughts and then calling them a liar when they try to lend a helping hand with some great advice! Way to go man! :roll:

Agreed. That was sound advice robby gave. The bounty hunter/pioneer brand is solid for it's price range but has it's limitations and decent target seperation is one of them. The OP started in the right direction with this post, but snarky backlash at honest advice, lost me. Garbage, your on your own, HH.

Start digging some of the iron and other junk signals and get it out of the way. Even with top of the line machines it can hide good finds.

Umm, yeah, OK.
My machines do just fine and have paid for themselves.
You're telling me your machines can see through the iron and steel and will detect only the good stuff beneath it ?
I don't believe that what so ever !

Yes, I will admit that I'm pushing my machines to the limit in this iron garbage pit, so I'm going to have to work a little harder and take it slow.

Actually, I didn't say "only" the goodies, but the E-Trac does do a much better job of separation than either of yours could dream of because it's a TOP END detector. The Bounty Hunters (as I said) do a fine job for their price range but... As for calling me a LIAR, well, I can tell you that ANY E-Trac driver will back me up and might even better me on depth, although I did get a .17 caliber bullet at 12 inches and had witnesses.

And as to your thinly veiled threat... you're correct, I don't care to meet you, but it's out of disgust, not fear.

Agreed. That was sound advice robby gave. The bounty hunter/pioneer brand is solid for it's price range but has it's limitations and decent target seperation is one of them. The OP started in the right direction with this post, but snarky backlash at honest advice, lost me. Garbage, your on your own, HH.

Thanks for the back-up guys! I am SHOCKED at his reply, I didn't think I was insulting him at all, in fact I genuinely thought I was helping him. Hell, I even complimented his dog! Oh well, I believe he has just shot himself in the foot on here with that reply, I am done with him and adding him to my ignore list. It's a shame too, because I suspect many others will do the same...

What I'm doing with MY detectors...

:detector:

:digginahole:

And MY reward!

:workforgold:

What he is going to be doing with a Bounty Hunter in an Iron minefield...

:dash2: :dash3: :dash2:

And that's just a fact of life...

Last edited by a moderator:
how large of a yard are we talking about? try marking off a 10x10 section set your discrim to 0 and dig everything. it the iron is thick enough no detector will unmask targets. it you dig up all the iron you might have a chance to get some of the goodies below. id pick a 10x10 near an entrance or walkway.

Sorry dude but the ferrous coin setting on the 3030 can practically see through iron.... It will show both targets on the screen. I found many dimes, reales, buttons in the same hole as large iron. Places I dared not to hunt with my coinmaster . Unless I dug a five gallon. Bucket of iron to get to the goodies. My back is 36 years too old for that !!!! anymore. It showed both were there. E trac has some superior discrimination too. v3i does great with an analyze screen and small coil.
Nobody was insulting your machines they were just stating in a mine field se machines have a better discrimination ability.... Sorry not a lie...it's a fact.

Any machine is good if you dig everything, been there, but I don't have time to hunt long so I have to discriminate as much as possible. And I dig in hunted out area so any edge I can get I take now.

Coin whisperer- I've seen what you do with that 3030...almost made it over your way two weeks ago but ran outta time....pm me we can plan a hunt sorry no hijack meant...

Back
Top Bottom