Best BOOK on Metal / Coin detecting "?"

moparguy

May I ask our esteemed forum members what book would you recommend for a beginner / advanced detectorist IE: Coin shooting / relic hunting? :?:
Many thanks for replies when time permits.:grin:

You have it all right here also just start asking and you shall receive.

I was going to ask the same question this evening! Thanks for posting! I, as a beginner, am also curious about books for coin identification. :D

I was going to ask the same question this evening! Thanks for posting! I, as a beginner, am also curious about books for coin identification. :D

Well for coin identification there is all kinds of books. My favorite as well as others for US Coins is "Redbook"

How about the famous Dick Stout's book "Coin Hunting in Depth"? It is getting a little old but so are all of the coins you are looking for! Detectors have advanced since the book was written but the methods still apply. AND Mr. Stout is also a forum member. Dan Hughes, another forum member, also has a nice book and podcasts with lots of info to think about.

I was given "How to Hunt Treasure, A Guide to Adventure and Profit" by Malcolm Allred as a gift this Christmas. I thought it was one of the most entertaining md related books I've read so far. I would not call it a how-to, or even instructional, book, but somewhat of an "educationally informative recollection." Most of the book revolves around relic hunting; particularly Civil War artifacts. Mr. Allred does a lot of reminiscing through his many years of hunting treasure, 40 plus years. Each story told is an example, relative to whatever the current subject being discussed is. If you're someone who likes bottle collecting, relic hunting, and definitely Civil War artifacts, I think you would enjoy this book.

...huh, kinda feel like this should segue (sp?) to Levar Burton and the Reading Rainbow theme song...

Back
Top Bottom