California henters.... Question......

Vermonster

Elite Member
Easy and fast question. Having been each summer to Myrtle Beach, seems like more likely to have calm surf there, than out here in SoCal, where it always seems to be rolling surf.

So I am curious, for all you SoCal beach hunters, how many of you hunt actually in the water with a waterproof machine like an ExCal or something, and how many just hunt at the lowest tide, right down in the wet sand at the water line?

Seems to be more people from the east coast that are diving and looking underwater versus out here on the west coast. When I do get out to the beach here, I can hunt right at the waterline, Have an XS-2a Pro, so that's good. Can't get the unit wet though.

Just curious, wanted to know where most of the finds come from on our beaches. Mine are all from dry sand actually, because I get impatient at the surf line..... :lol:

Edit: California "Hunters". No clue what a henter is...… ;)

high tide with surf pi
low tide with 3030 ctx
NO wetsuit the colder the better
only real men go for the danger:cool3:

So I am curious, for all you SoCal beach hunters, how many of you hunt actually in the water with a waterproof machine...

I've bought (3) waterproof machines from California folks that exclusively hunt in the water. One fella said he is part of a detecting club where the majority of folks stick to hunting that requires a snorkle or scuba. Not really sure how many folks are in the club, but he mentioned there was enough members to rent halls and parks for club events.

I've bought (3) waterproof machines from California folks that exclusively hunt in the water. One fella said he is part of a detecting club where the majority of folks stick to hunting that requires a snorkle or scuba. Not really sure how many folks are in the club, but he mentioned there was enough members to rent halls and parks for club events.

Cool, thanks. Just wasn't sure how much stuff is found at the tide line versus out further where people are swimming...…

Cool, thanks. Just wasn't sure how much stuff is found at the tide line versus out further where people are swimming...…
Locations with significant surf and riptides make water hunting a real challenge though. Coil resistance in the water reduces the amount of area you can cover, eg, in 1 hour you might cover 500 sq-ft of water vs 2,500 sq-ft of beach. Considering a lot of folks lose their goods at their base camp, where do you have better odds? Then again, you have more competition on the beach than in the water. So lots of variables to consider.

Locations with significant surf and riptides make water hunting a real challenge though. Coil resistance in the water reduces the amount of area you can cover, eg, in 1 hour you might cover 500 sq-ft of water vs 2,500 sq-ft of beach. Considering a lot of folks lose their goods at their base camp, where do you have better odds? Then again, you have more competition on the beach than in the water. So lots of variables to consider.

So would the surf line be a good go between? Some dry hunters can't get there, etc.?

Vermonster, the element of "location" has little to do with it. IMHO. Ie.: that ... yes .... people are frolicking and splashing and wading "out there where normal md'rs don't go" (d/t they don't like to fight the waves). So the knee-jerk thought is therefore : "Thus there must be tons of un-tapped goodies", eh ? Ie.: a function of "location", right ?

But this overlooks a very big factor in the equation : Whether or not erosion is occurring or not. Or put another way: Whether the beach is sterile or not. So it's not a question of "where". It's a function of "when".

Because that formula of "erode" vs "sand-in/sterile" is EQUALLY as true for the inter-tidal zone that requires no wading/fighting-waves, as it is for the 3 to 4 ft. deep wave-fight zone.

In other words: IT DOESN'T MATTER how many people frolick in that rolling-wave zone. And IT DOESN'T MATTER how few md'rs tap that zone. Because if it's sterile, then it's sterile. Because that underwater zone is JUST as susceptible to the rules of erosion/sterility, as is the regular wet sand zone is.

Sand is not stationary. The targets don't "magically sit there" till someone comes along and harvests them.

A person is welcome to go fight waves, on the chance that erosion is occurring out there, and didn't happen to be occurring on the inter-tidal zone . It's entirely possible that the "zone" on a given day could be out there. But has nothing at all to do with #'s of frolicking swimmers, nor anything to do with lack of competition. Because: It's either happening, or it's not. Mother nature can equally put all the targets in the inter-tidal zone, and nothing at all off-shore where you might try to fight waves. Again: Nothing at all to do with where targets were actually lost. Since the sand and targets are perpetually being moved around.

This might not apply as much to FL beaches, which perhaps have bath-tub conditions ? And certainly doesn't apply to lakes, where the targets sit and don't move (nor does the surface/sand move).

The downside of thinking you're going to go out and wade and fight waves, is exactly as you noted in your O.P. here : There is seemingly constant rolling ebbing surf. Not "bath-tub" conditions. So you will be very handicapped as to ability to swing the coil, stay planted in one spot, see what you're doing, etc.... THAT'S ALL FINE AND DANDY if there's lots of targets out there.

And since most of the hardcore guys out here ONLY go to the beach when-scouting for erosion (eg.: swells/storms/wind days), then the LAST place you want to be, is out there fighting the waves. That would be suicidal. I have only ever hit the intertidal sand zone where you can walk. Yes occasionally the "zone" is in the ebbing surf area. But not where you're actually wading. Rather .... in the zone where you have to wait now and then for waves to recede before resuming coil swing.

I have hunted here once with a visiting So. CA fellow, who insisted that the heavier targets are right in the "wave-curl" zone. And that you MUST get into the wade-mentality therefore, if you wish to score. He abandoned his notions after 5 minutes of looking at our surf up here . Doh ! And he too has had his best days in So. CA on just the regular inter-tidal zone. Ie.: didn't need to be Rambo. But perhaps on the "bath-tub" days, with 1,000,000 So CA swimmers on sunny calm days (where water temps allow a million swimmers to be in -the-water), then sure: Wading would afford you that week's losses. But where I'm at, we wait for mother nature to do the work.

And certainly doesn't apply to lakes, where the targets sit and don't move (nor does the surface/sand move).
Tom , I gotta think you're wrong on this one. Lake Michigan just had like 15-20' waves recently. That has to move targets around. I'm sure those lake hunters will agree.
On your other points in your post , I would have to agree.

.... Lake Michigan just had like 15-20' waves recently. That has to move targets around.....

And I'm sure you'd agree that Lake Michigan is like a small ocean. I've heard that you can actually even surf it, on some days. Doh ! Hence the "lake" hunting I was talking about, was .... lakes in the traditional sense.

For the typical inland lake (standard reservoirs , standard ponds, etc...), I'll bet that if you drop a dime or fishing sinker in a spot, then .... 50 yrs. later, it's still right there (albeit covered deeper in silt now perhaps). Contrast to bodies of water that turn violent (ie.: wave action), then sand moves around.

And I'm sure you'd agree that Lake Michigan is like a small ocean. I've heard that you can actually even surf it, on some days. Doh ! Hence the "lake" hunting I was talking about, was .... lakes in the traditional sense.

For the typical inland lake (standard reservoirs , standard ponds, etc...), I'll bet that if you drop a dime or fishing sinker in a spot, then .... 50 yrs. later, it's still right there (albeit covered deeper in silt now perhaps). Contrast to bodies of water that turn violent (ie.: wave action), then sand moves around.

Agree 100%. But it's still grouped as a "Lake". And when you say "lake" , it must be taken in its entirety.

So would the surf line be a good go between? Some dry hunters can't get there, etc.?

gosh, so many factors to hunting a specific area. I've found dozens of thin necklaces and small charms in the surf line, but that doesn't mean that is where they are always found.

For the surf line, I have an advantage over single frequency machines that have less depth and accurate target id. There is often less trash than the dry areas so I can dig it all. Depending on the beach and the width of the surf line, targets may be lost more predominately in the areas above and below it. So there is less chance of finding a target unless it was moved by waves or erosion.

Dry is great because it seems more folks lose their items accidently while trying to hide them or forget about them while packing up. Of course there is more competition in this area as any detector will work in dry sand. The biggest problem is having so much trash among good targets. You really have to know your machine and understand signals that are broken, irradic or whisper. Being able to discern what the machine is telling you and quickly moving on or stopping to dig is key.

As others mentioned, there is not a single spot that holds all the gold. My honest suggestion is to cover an area similar to the landscape you are most familiar with hunting. This could play to your advantage rather than trying to learn a new strategy and a new landscape.

Great post David.

.... There is often less trash than the dry areas so I can dig it all. ....

Yes, that is one advantage of the wet inter-tidal zone, is that when mother nature is pulling the sand out, then you can kiss all the foil, tabs, etc... goodbye. All such super light stuff can be swept out. In fact, I've even seen conditions so good that even zinc is gone (d/t that's a lighter-weight coin). Thus yes: If a person wants to angle for thin necklaces, for example (if they have a machine capable of micro-jewelry), then they will be much less tortured in the wet zone, than the dry zone.

On certain sections of the dry, it's possible to have scores of teeensyy foil turds . Like the type that happen when you get your fingernails under the foil-wrap of the top of a wine bottle. Yet theoretically, on the wet, you can buck those odds.

...Dry is great because it seems more folks lose their items accidently while trying to hide them or forget about them while packing up. ....

True indeed. While the common mantra is that swimmers are most-prone to loose jewelry (d/t the shrinking of fingers by cold waters, and the frolicking motion of swim/splash), yet you're right : There's also lots of recurring themes for dry-sand losses too.

My favorite is: "I took off the ring, for safekeeping, before going in for a swim". And so they hand it to their wife or whoever to hold for them. Or they hide it in their shoe at their beach blanket, etc...

And lathering up with slippery suntan lotion, is another dry sand recurring sad tale of the origins of dry sand loss.

I still detest dry sand hunting . I much prefer the inter-tidal wet zone. And mind you: The "towel line" zone of the dry sand, will become the inter-tidal zone sand , as soon as the storm season hits anyhow. Ie.: the beach ebbs up higher into the dunes.

... As others mentioned, there is not a single spot that holds all the gold....

Yes. That would be a function of "where", and not "when". The "single spot" is going to be where mother nature groups the targets. And that is not a certain rule of "in the water" or "above the water". It all just depends on where mother nature decides.

Hey Vermonster,

If I had to put a percentage on my hunting style, I would say 95% of my hunting is "wet sand". It is very infrequent that I hunt the dry. However, the wet sand conditions in So. Cal. right now are very very poor !! I hunted the wet last week and walked well over 200 yards between signals. After an hour of that !!!!, I hunted the dry where I was at least I was able to scrounge up a few coins. :mad::mad:

PS....You are right....surf hunting in So. Cal. is very hard with the constant pounding waves.

... However, the wet sand conditions in So. Cal. right now are very very poor !! ...

Yes, it's been a few lame years in a row now (barring a few fluke days here and there).

... I hunted the wet last week and walked well over 200 yards between signals...

Yes. And that is DESPITE how many people might have lost-stuff-there @ the days/months that preceded that. Because if it's "sanded in", then it's "sanded in". No amount of pedestrian/swimmer traffic changes that.

......surf hunting in So. Cal. is very hard with the constant pounding waves.

That's not-to-say that there *might* not be a day when the correct "zone" is out in the pounding "curl-zone-of-the-waves". But it will have nothing-to-do with a) lack-of-hunter-competition, and b) number of fumble-fingers. And 3) You will have a "rude awakening" when you try to hunt that zone . Unless you ended up there on a bath-tub condition day. Which, ironically, bath-tub conditions are NOT when erosion is occurring in the first place. Doh !

This might not apply as much to FL beaches, which perhaps have bath-tub conditions ? And certainly doesn't apply to lakes, where the targets sit and don't move (nor does the surface/sand move).
I think your assessment that it doesn't apply as much to our beaches is for the most part correct. There are times when erosion is to be found and if you're one of the 1st hunters to exploit it you're going to get good results. (My recent post). Every time, and it's not often, that I find unusual conditions -some type of erosion - I have scored nicely.

This might not apply as much to FL beaches, which perhaps have bath-tub conditions ?
East coast of Florida, especially in the northern part of the state is far from bath tub conditions. St. Augustine inlet was under riptide warnings for most of the summer. Jacksonville and Daytona are great places to surf, but that means a lot of waves. Very hard to swing a detector and even harder to dig and recover a target.

I would like to know what Tom means by "bathtub" conditions. Since he has several definitions of the word "lake" !

Back
Top Bottom