Eagle Belt Plate

Swing4TheRing

Forum Supporter
I wanted to bring back a video from 2014 finding a Civil War Buckle... apologies for the poor camera work (I was excited) and the audio (shot on cell phone) because I was relatively new to making videos then. This is a rare find for me as I live in Michigan and there wasn't much Civil War activity here. Enjoy!

I had someone comment on my post in another group and it basically said what else did you find at that site... got me thinking... I'VE NEVER GONE BACK!!!

Looks like I have some work to do this spring once the ground thaws... :cool3:

Now that you have it cleaned off, give us a look at the back.

Here's the cleaned version with back stamp number...

Attachments

• CAM00762.jpg
    CAM00762.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 780
  • CAM00764.jpg
    CAM00764.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 752
You have a plate that had an applied wreath of nickel/silver. Your applied wreath is missing, but that is common on dug versions. Your date range should be from 1851 to 1861. It may well have been worn by a soldier from Michigan. There could have been a training site nearby or it could be from a veteran. Either way it is one heck of a good find.

You have a plate that had an applied wreath of nickel/silver. Your applied wreath is missing, but that is common on dug versions. Your date range should be from 1851 to 1861. It may well have been worn by a soldier from Michigan. There could have been a training site nearby or it could be from a veteran. Either way it is one heck of a good find.

Thank you! Appreciate the info and knowledge! :cheers:

How was the wreath adhered to it? To me it looks like the wreath came off upon finding it or sometime after it was lost judging by the coloration.

Having never found a buckle I am intrigued by the stamped number. Is this a way to maybe track back to a precise date or owner perhaps? Either way amazing find! I also live Michigan, we had roughly 90,000 soldiers in the war and a lot of them went through Fort Wayne in Detroit to muster in as I understand. Again, congratulations on the find!

Having never found a buckle I am intrigued by the stamped number. Is this a way to maybe track back to a precise date or owner perhaps? Either way amazing find! I also live Michigan, we had roughly 90,000 soldiers in the war and a lot of them went through Fort Wayne in Detroit to muster in as I understand. Again, congratulations on the find!

From my understanding, the benchmark (numbers) helped the makers of the buckle during the assembly process or was stamped by an inspector.

Thanx for bringing us along for the live dig/reveal. Enjoyed the video !

Back
Top Bottom