How Important are Headphones?

I hunt in snaky country too. I just use ear buds and keep one bud out when I really think I need to hear what's going on around me. I didn't used to like them, but I won't hunt without them anymore, so to me they're very important.

Headphones are important for many reasons. Better being able to hear faint tones, and battery life are the ones that are tops for the detectorist.

There are other reasons to use headphones in public spaces. When people go to parks etc, they really don't want to be hearing the beeping of a metal detector.

I know for sure when I am at the beach, I have to muster all of my self control not commit a hate crime when some inconsiderate a-hat is walking down the beach with a metal detector, no headphones, and the volume jacked up all the way. I go to the beach to hear the sound of the surf - not the sound of a metal detector beeping.

I use head phones but just keep them around my neck. Plenty loud enough for me to hear but not loud at any distance so fine in park and beach.
This also allows me to hear what is going on nearby. I detect a lot of off the path places, woods and old farm sites so want to hear if someone or something is nearby.

Back
Top Bottom