Numbers for Indian heads.

jruckman38

Elite Member
I’m using the nox 600 I should no the answer to this question but I don’t never dug one with the nox but what numbers do they fall in on the 600. Thanks.

Last edited:
A lot depends on your soil like most targets.
A common region is similar to a zinc cent, but often comes in a little lower like 18.
I have air tested many over the years and for some reason unlike zinc and copper cents or other coins like dimes they can vary.
In my soil 18 IH's up-average to about 21-23.

A lot depends on your soil like most targets.
A common region is similar to a zinc cent, but often comes in a little lower like 18.
I have air tested many over the years and for some reason unlike zinc and copper cents or other coins like dimes they can vary.
In my soil 18 IH's up-average to about 21-23.

Thank you

...what numbers do they fall in on the 600. Thanks.

Like Digger and Rattle both said, I’ve found the copper Indians (95% copper, 5% tin/zinc, 1864 and later) come up anywhere between 18-23. In my soil, many tend to read on the higher side (20-22), while the more corroded or toasty ones tend to be 18-19.

But don’t forget the Fatty Indians (1859-1863 and some 1864) - they have a lower copper content (88%) mixed with nickel (12%), so they read lower on any detector. The Fatties show up as a 15-16 on the Equinox.

Like Digger and Rattle both said, I’ve found the copper Indians (95% copper, 5% tin/zinc, 1864 and later) come up anywhere between 18-23. In my soil, many tend to read on the higher side (20-22), while the more corroded or toasty ones tend to be 18-19.

But don’t forget the Fatty Indians (1859-1863 and some 1864) - they have a lower copper content (88%) mixed with nickel (12%), so they read lower on any detector. The Fatties show up as a 15-16 on the Equinox.

Thank you.

Great answers from Digger27 and Airmet tango. One more great example of why you have to dig "off" numbers or miss some goodies. And yes I do cherry pick at times knowing this.

Agree with all the previous responses. On average, older IHPs I find ring in around the zinc penny range. Some even sound like corroded zinc pennies, 18-19. Some of the newer ones I've found 1903 above sounded between zinc and copper tones, so around 22-24.

Didn't know that, never dug one, Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom