• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

XP ORX or NOX800

REDOC

Forum Supporter
Ok getting ready to pull the trigger. Looking for a gold shooter to go with 4500. I know 4500 but it is a bear to run in my areas. Have not had it in the up country yet. Heck our streams are running strong still. Need that tailing pile.
Really like the ORX but just cannot believe it is not waterproof.:(. Yea have my trusty Etrac for land and my Atpro for the water but just need that x-mas present to my self you know. Long post but had to put em all in. Any thoughts?

Mods please feel free to delegate this post. The orx never really come up on a search but now I have found older posts that talk about them against the 800.

What size gold are you after with a gold prospecting specific VLF in your area?

If you need fully submersible waterproof, the Equinox 800 with the 6" coil or the Nokta Makro Gold Kruzer are great prospecting detectors.

If you need lightweight, easy to pack and good selectable gold frequencies with a very hot coil, the ORX with the HF 9" is the way to go. There is a waterproof mod that costs about $60 that works well from what I've heard. Without it, the wireless signal can't get from the coil to the control box when the coil is submerged in more than a few inches of water.

I have used all three of these detectors prospecting. The Nox and ORX can also double as excellent coin, jewelry and relic detectors. In a pinch the Gold Kruzer can do that too but it is a single frequency detector (64kHz?) that is specially geared toward smaller gold and micro jewelry.

So if you are after smaller nuggets and pickers the Nox 800, ORX and Kruzer would work well.

If you want larger gold at depth the ORX and Equinox might be a better choice due to multiple selectable frequencies even though the Gold Kruzer like the others can go pretty deep on say a 1 gram nugget. They can all hit that in moderate to mineralized dirt at 6" to 8".

If you want to prospect in submerged moving water in creeks or rivers I would stay away from the ORX. It is so lightweight that if would be hard to control in moving water. The Gold Kruzer would be great at that and the Nox a close second.

For tailings piles with small gold or specie, all three would be fine especially on that blind spot area sized gold .1 gram up to .75 gram that the GPX 4500 can sometimes miss.

Jeff

Last edited:
Thanks

Nice write up. Got a deal on the "waterproofing" accessory for the ORX and like the ability to change out coils fast, it folds up to nothing and all the frequencies. Do a lot of beach hunting too on our lake so looking to upgrade atpro. Seen some nice videos on the 800 with VERY thin gold chains, pretty nice. Yea up in the foothills would be moving water and hitting dry bedrock when ya can, size? Take gram nuggets all day. Not a lot of hours with the 4500, was a gift if you can believe it, said it was to hard. Well I'll decide this weekend, leaning 800. Certainly will take it over my etrac areas. Should be interesting. Thanks Again.

You can get a Mi6 Pinpointer with an Orx package for $40. Hit up Craig @ Show me treasure for the best deals around! I personally like the Deus and Orx better than the Nox. The Equinox is a great machine but there is something about that XP platform I “click” with. It’s hard to explain... Good luck with whichever you choose!

Done

Nox 800 in the house and 2 days early. Shout out to Jeff at Quality MD’s, great price and fast delivery. Had a question and he called me right up answered that one and 6 more I came up with. Class act. Out tomorrow to one pounded etrac/atpro site for some look sees. Thanks all for the replies and thanks QMD!!!

Thanks Metaladdict have a 4500. Use that more in the mountains, tailing piles. Want a good lake/creek machine.

Back
Top Bottom