• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

8.50 grams of 14K. Gold ring #13 FTY!

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
Tonight was just AWESOME.

Went out to the elementary school in the nearby city that I'd done 2/3rds of... Just continued the grid. I'd previously found 3 silver rings, and 4 junkers, and I was hoping for another silver.

I started the evening well with a Lord of the Rings ring of power (which always make me laugh, since they show up gold, but have elvish writing that gives them away instantly). About 75 minutes into the hunt, I came across...

GOLD! :)

If the video does not play, here is the EXACT same link!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTcpPA8hIOY

It rang up a solid 71-72... I really wasn't paying that much attention, just digging lots and lots of can slaw, and figured it was just an aluminum can...again (I'd pulled probably 2 dozen of them at this point). I barely waved over it, just enough to isolate the signal and then dropped to pull the "can". Imagine my surprise when I saw a glint of gold! That's when I grabbed my camera.

Man, I love this hobby! Weighed it at home, and it came in exactly 8.50 grams. That's like $206 in today's spot. It'll all go to kid #1's Christmas (he had basic gifts, but I've been using MDing gold finds to pay for "a little extra" for each boy, for the last couple of years. I'm so happy to have been able to do it again this year. (Kid #2's Christmas was purchased with gold sold to ARA last week... now I've got #1 done!). Woot!

Attached are some pics of the finds, and the nights haul (I did find another aluminum ring shortly after the gold, but hung up the hunt at the 90 minute mark. I was too blasted excited to come home and show the wife. :) Clad rang up nicely around $7...

These were rings #175 through #177 FTY.

Cheers!

Skippy

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_3749.jpg
    IMG_3749.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_3750.jpg
    IMG_3750.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_3746.jpg
    IMG_3746.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_3747.jpg
    IMG_3747.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 465
Yeah! What a beauty! Nice heavy plain money band! That was a very productive 90minutes with a lot of recoveries there Skip! WTG!

Yeah! What a beauty! Nice heavy plain money band! That was a very productive 90minutes with a lot of recoveries there Skip! WTG!

Yep. it was a LOT of recoveries. Kept me pretty busy. This particular school hasn't been hit in years, with lots of targets at the 4" mark, occasionally deeper. Amazingly, the quarter to penny ratio isn't too bad, either.

In the four hunts I've been at that school, I've probably pulled $30, 10 rings (3 silver and 1 gold, now). And there's a full 1/4 of the field to go. PLUS there's a whole other field to detect. :)

It's only about 8 miles from my house, too. (which actually makes it about $3 in gas to hit, but with a gold ring, I'm pretty sure I'm in the money on the next few trips, LOL).

Was sure a pleasant surprise!

Congrats on the gold ! Nice hunt!
Thanks!

That's a nice and weighty ring, congrats! :)
When I pulled it, I was hoping for 6-7 grams. Was plenty surprised to find it was 8.5, and topped $200. Love those big rings!

When I pulled it, I was hoping for 6-7 grams. Was plenty surprised to find it was 8.5, and topped $200. Love those big rings!

Congrats Skippy! I hit the same park where I pulled 2 silver rings and a hefty gold over the last 3 weeks today and came away with another $2+ in clad, no rings.

That big gold is awesome to find, the "high" will last you a while :-)

SUPER NICE 14k gold ring! Big Congrats! Detector used? Settings?

beephead

Garrett AT Pro, with the NEL Thunder Coil (it's a big one).
Settings are:
Ground Balance of 94 (pretty normal for my area).
Sensitivity of 4 bars (I usually don't hunt that high (only 2-3 bars normally), but this ground had no chatter at a full four.
Discrimination on 35 and below. Hunting in Pro Mode, with nothing notched out above the 35 mark.

Rang up a solid 71/72 (I only swung twice over it, to isolate... probably with a wiggle... Like I said, I wasn't paying that close attention, thinking it was just more can chunks.)

Cheers!

Congrats Skippy! I hit the same park where I pulled 2 silver rings and a hefty gold over the last 3 weeks today and came away with another $2+ in clad, no rings.

That big gold is awesome to find, the "high" will last you a while :-)

Yep... turned a "meh" day into a winner, that's for sure!

Nice BIG gold! Congrats! I found one of those lord of the rings ring, but it was mostly flaked and party corroded. Still a neat find though.

Love that Yellow at first sight!! Nice save and enjoyed the video!

Back
Top Bottom