CTX 3030 and Minelab Model Longetivty

w-t-d

Hello - thinking of purchasing a new CTX 3030 but I don't want to do so if Minelab is going to supersede it with a newer latest and greatest detector in the next two or three years. I have used my friends CTX alot and really enjoy the machine, best detector I have ever used.

For the price it is a significant cash outlay and I don't want to see the CTX model go obsolete very soon if I purchase one. I know that no-one can predict the future 100% accurately so I am not holding anyone to their opinion; I'm just trying to get a feel for how long the CTX 3030 might be Minelabs top of the line general purpose detector.

It'll probably be a few years before the CTX is "beat" by another technology including any new minelab technology. Minelab topped off FBS with FBS2 in the CTX with competitor technologies advancing but still not coming close. It'll take advancements in different technologies much time before they are on par with FBS2 if they even can, but more likely you'll see FBS3 before that. I wouldn't think there is much threat yet and you'd be pretty safe with the CTX. But other detectors are getting cheaper and will be trying to close in on any "top tier detector", kinda the point in advancement. Plenty of good used ones though, if you want to save some cash.

Hard to answer that question until we get an Equinox in our hands and find out what Multi-IQ technology is all about.

I think Minelab has taken notice of how well companies like Garrett have done with sales of mid-range detectors. According to Minelab, the Equinox will up the ante with even more features and performance, yet retains a mid-range price point. Unlike the CTX, profit will come from sheer volume of sales vs high MSRP.

If the Equinox turns out to be something really special, I think we'll probably see a higher end version of a Multi-IQ detector in the not so distant future. One with all the bells and whistles. Between now and then, they'll want to move as many FBS machines as possible, which is why I agree with steveg's analogy that Minelab could be purposefully downplaying the Equinox to be a step below FBS/FBS2 detectors when it comes to deep silver. It would be difficult to "thread the needle" with a machine that outperforms all other popular detectors on the market, yet still not match or beat their own flagship. Of course this is all just speculation at this point.

FBS tech is what? Almost 20 years old? Yes its amazing and I love my CTX, but it won't surprise me to see something better come along. Could it be Multi-IQ? Maybe so. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

000hh buoy

Must admit I am/was not up on what is happening in the detector hardware market. But have been reading up these last few hours and about the Equinox too.

After working my whole life (and still working) in the tech world I gotta tell you guys I think that the writing is now on the wall from Minelab.

My opinion - Minelab will milk the high-end CTX sales as long as possible and balance that milking with selling lower priced but high performance machines (like Equinox) to rival the competition and take their fair and even unfair share of the market.

Like someone said there will be a all-in with all the bells and whistles Equinox type top of the line model - I can see that for sure. Whether it is announced next year, 2 years, 3 years - don't know when that will happen but its gonna happen - little doubt in my mind. Maybe a price drop in the CTX 3030 will signal when the introduction of the new model will be close to happening.

I would recommend at least waiting another couple months and seeing what the Equinox brings. There is much speculation that it will be a new and improved technology, and if that turns out to be the case, CTX prices will plummet as they phase it out likely to be replaced with a new flagship detector based on the new Multi-IQ tech. Or the Equinox will turn out not be a new groundbreaking technology and the CTX will remain the flagship for years to come.

But we'll know here in a few months, so you might as well wait at this point.

I mentioned on another board, that it is not unheard of for a company to debut new technology first on a mid-range detector. White's did this back 15 years or so ago with their MXT, a mid range machine that outperformed their top of the line machine at the time, the XLT, and even their subsequent flagship, the DFX. The XLT and DFX has more bells and whistles which allowed them to continue to sell them for quite awhile longer, but the MXT was well known to have better raw performance than the flagship machines.

So it could turn out to be with the Equinox. The CTX will still have the "bells and whistles," and it's still a great machine, but don't think that it's impossible for Minelab to release a new mid-range machine that actually outperforms its flagship.

.... don't think that it's impossible for Minelab to release a new mid-range machine that actually outperforms its flagship.

Nothing is impossible Wayfarer, but releasing a less expensive machine that out performs a much more expensive detector sold maybe just a few month previously without any kind of rebate, reasonable for-warning, equitable user upgrade plan etc would be bad business on a number of fronts in my opinion.

If this is the way the market evolves for Minelab they have some work to do to transition the user base.

You can always sell it once a newer and 'better' machine comes out. If you like it, just go for it, and see how you go. I mean, I don't think that a 'better' machine will come out for at least another two years. They just released the Equinox, so I don't think another top-end will arrive for quite some time. :)

I say go for it. I
have a couple seasons on my CTX3030 and each season I have had 100+ silver coins. Now this is not a great feat itself BUT when you consider that 90% of those silvers came out of public spots like parks and schools that have been hunted hard for years.
I have 10 machines total and believe me the CTX is going nowhere!
The problem is if you wait for the next best machine then you are missing out on finding the good stuff NOW!
I seriously doubt that Minelab is going to come out with anything more than the Equinox this year and realistically they have not yet got their investment back out of the CTX yet.
If Minelab really wanted to calm the fears of the current CTX owners they would release some updates for the CTX and show that they are constantly improving their flagship machine. Deus did this and that is why my Deus will also be staying in my arsenal

Hello - thinking of purchasing a new CTX 3030 but I don't want to do so if Minelab is going to supersede it with a newer latest and greatest detector in the next two or three years...

Welcome to the forums! Do you already have a detector? If you are waiting 2-3 years to start detecting, yikes! Experience in reading ground conditions takes many seasons and I'd hate for you to wait to buy a detector, then have to learn a new machine as well as techniques.

EQuinox is new tech but nothing in the lineup for different coils. CTX has 4 available. CTX is already on the second version which is nice because they've worked out the kinks.

Best of luck on whatever you decide

I say go for it. Still my most favorite machine to run. Just makes detecting fun for me. Not better time then now with the bonus 17" coil deal going on. Shop the vendors here for a under $1999 new price

What has me

Puzzled is when the teck said his Ctx was his go to machine, nows its 2nd , and the EQ is now his go to detector :shock::jawdrop::stormy:, very well could have been a sales booster , :roll: , so all us Ctx guys , run out and buy one to lol

Back
Top Bottom