Returning a class ring- how to start

lawsonland

I found a class ring, so now I have the school name, graduation date and initials.
Its an all girls school

So what do I do, contact the school and say "I'm a perverted old man and would like contact info for one of your girls"

Don't think that would be a good start- What have others done?

I found a class ring, so now I have the school name, graduation date and initials.
Its an all girls school

So what do I do, contact the school and say "I'm a perverted old man and would like contact info for one of your girls"

Don't think that would be a good start- What have others done?

Guess it kind of depends on the graduation year on the ring. If she is still a minor and in school you could talk to the office and maybe arrange to drop it off if local in the school office with plenty of witnesses so they know you are not going to wind up on some hidden camera sting operation. If she's already an adult you could try and get last known contact info and she could of turned into some perverted old lady and you may get a date out of it. :)

Facebook. The reach of things like this is amazing, and you will get grandmas 3,000 miles away trying to help track down the owner. Seriously though, I'd look up facebook page for the high school or a town nearby and post a photo

Google the school, look for Alumni Board, Reunion Committee. Some grad Classes have their own FB page. Call the school Library, they may have the yearbook that they can look up the name, GL
DL

Try to return it

I just returned one a few months back. Read my post on this forum. I got to meet the young lady and it meant the world to her. I also got permission to hunt the property she lived on, that worked out well. Call the school, explain the situation. They'll help ya. I was lucky, mine had a full name engraved in it. Just do it! More than likely it will be a very warm, rewarding experience.
You should read the post, you'll find the owner.

I just returned a 10k 1972 class ring from a highschool local to my area. It had three initials on the inside and I thought, "man this is going to a piece of cake". I was wrong. First off I couldn't find any list of the 1972 class from an online search. So my wife suggested she would post to the school's facebook page and see what happens. I don't belong to facebook so I said sure try it. Within two days she had a response from one of the English teachers who also does the yearbook. He gave my wife his email address and I in turn contacted him with the year and initials. He got back with me and didn't have any yearbooks from '63 to '72. So he said he would ask the alumni association. Someone there got the name for me. And I thought "now that I have a name, this should be a piece of cake!". I was wrong. I did all sorts of google searches on that name and approximate age. Got all kinds of websites that want to charge you for any real contact info. Then I got to thinking that since this was a ladies ring, the last name is most likely her maiden name. That really complicated things. So as a last ditch effort, I called my neighbor up the road because I thought he had graduated from the same school. It turns out he did, but long before in 1959. However he said he would try making some phone calls and see if he could find out who the lady was. He called me back two days later and said "I found your girl!" He ended up calling the former sheriff of our county because he knew that the sheriff had gone to the same highschool. The sheriff graduated in '70, BUT his wife graduated in '72! Now being a sheriff I'm sure he has ways to find out from someone's name, even it it's a maiden name, where they live and work. Ends up the woman worked at a convenience store about 5 miles up the road from where I live. I returned the ring last wednesday and she couldn't believe it turned up after at least 35 years. So, try the school's facebook page and then if you get a name, try a friend or neighbor who knows a retired sheriff.:clapping:

The only class ring I ever found, and the first gold ring, was a local high school ring for the then-current year. I called the school and gave them the initials inside the ring. They couldn't give me any information on the student, but they got my contact info and gave it to him. He called me about 5 minutes later and picked up his ring that evening, and was really glad to get it back. It was the old story, he had got the ring at the end of his junior year and worn it to the beach ( why do people do that?) and lost it while throwing a football with his buddies. Coincidentally, within a few days of returning his ring I found my own college ring, missing for 3+ years, under a bedside table. A co-worker insisted that this was good karma for my returning the class ring. If so, I got the better of the deal because mine was bigger than his. ;)

Class ring

I found and returned one class ring. Was found I believe 3 years ago. It had a name in the ring. I was from 2002 I believe. I callled the school and they couldn't give any info. Told me I could drop the ring off at the school and if she happened to call they would return it. I tracked her down about a week later on Facebook in another province ( live in Canada). Mailed it out never even got a thank you. Kinda soured me on returns.

I found and returned one class ring. Was found I believe 3 years ago. It had a name in the ring. I was from 2002 I believe. I callled the school and they couldn't give any info. Told me I could drop the ring off at the school and if she happened to call they would return it. I tracked her down about a week later on Facebook in another province ( live in Canada). Mailed it out never even got a thank you. Kinda soured me on returns.

Yep. seen that myself. Why? I've asked myself that a lot. I think it's because class rings really aren't THAT special. They just sit in most people's boxes at home. Most of the time, adults don't even know why they bought them, other than it was the "thing to do." Marketing, man. It's a brilliant thing, eh? In fact, I don't know a single adult who even wears their HS Class ring.

I know folks who wear college and Academy rings, or even branch of military service... but High School? Nah.

My kids will each get one, but you can bet they'll be steel and less than $100! (there are some fun ones out there ). But that's like getting a kid a half-way decent watch to wear their senior year. It's an accessory at that price.

I commend you on wanting to find the person who lost it , but I wouldn't go to a lot of trouble to do that since its just a class ring and a few years after graduation those things typically get lost and forgotten about anyway , or just sit in a box in a closet somewhere with a bunch of other random things that never see the light of day again.

Back
Top Bottom